Expand the section navigation mobile menu
Tall streams of water in a fountain in front of Elliott Tower on Oakland University's campus.

Prior Learning

Make the most of what you already know — let your past learning count as credit toward an Oakland University degree.

Whether you’ve taken classes at another university, community college or while in the military, obtained college credit in high school or have earned credit by exam, it’s time to put your past learning into action. At Oakland University, we’ll make sure all your studies are evaluated for applicability toward an undergraduate degree, bringing you one step closer to future success.

Read on to see just how close you might be to a degree from OU.

Moving from one college to another may seem overwhelming. At Oakland, we make the transfer process easy. Our resources ensure your hard earned credits will transfer and apply to your degree.

Starting with OU’s Transfer Equivalency Tool, you can see course equivalencies for community colleges and four-year institutions. Our Transfer Guides detail how specific major requirements may be met by that transfer institution alone, while our Articulation Agreements outline specific academic pathways for transferring to OU from Michigan’s 28 community colleges.

Other resources include MI Pathways, which includes courses you may complete at a community college during your first and second year which will transfer smoothly to the corresponding bachelor degree program at all participating universities. Once admitted to OU, all of your prior learning credits will be evaluated. If there is a need for further evaluation for undergraduate courses, you can complete the Transfer Course Review Requests

So no matter where you're going, or where you came from, OU is where your perseverance pays off — and you move one step closer to graduation.

Other helpful links:
Transfer Scholarships
Commuter Connection

We value all service members at Oakland — it’s why we’re consistently rated as a Gold-Level Veteran Friendly School by the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency.

We accept transfer credits, including a maximum of 60 credits for College Level Examination Program credits (CLEP), and military education courses based on American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations. OU also accepts transfer coursework completed in the U.S. Armed Forces and U.S. Armed Forces Institute; please learn more about specific conditions.

Be sure to contact your admissions adviser or the Office of the Registrar for more information regarding transferring military credits.

Other helpful links:
Veterans Support Services
Financial Aid for Veterans
GI Bill

If you’ve taken Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB),CLEP examinations or DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), you may have earned college credit for certain scores.

Your first step in determining credit is to apply for admission for free. Next, you’ll need to have your test scores sent to our Office of the Registrar for evaluation.

Learn more about specific AP equivalenciesCLEP creditsDSST equivalents as well as what we offer IB certificate and IB diploma holders.

Undergraduate Admissions

Wilson Hall, Room 2000
371 Wilson Boulevard
Rochester, MI 48309-4486
(location map)
(248) 370-3360
Text: (248) 712-3361

Office Hours
M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
M-F 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Make an appointment