Office for Student Involvement

Oakland Center, Room 49
312 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, Michigan 48309-4454
(location map)
(248) 370-2400
[email protected]

OSI Office Hours:
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

OSI Service Window Hours:
Monday-Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Piles of paper with colorful page markers

Student Organization Policies

Registration & Recognition

All student organizations must register or renew each academic year with the Office for Student Involvement through GrizzOrgs. Each organization is responsible for ensuring that the records in the OSI are kept updated as they change. This includes contact information for officers and advisors, or organization essential information such as a statement of purpose. Until the records are updated, the previous officer may still be held responsible for actions of the organization.

The Office for Student Involvement requires that each student organization have a current OU constitution on file which provides a description of the organization, its goals and purpose, officers duties, and other areas or responsibility to function as an OU Student Organization.


To be recognized by the University, the organization must meet the following requirements:

  • Four currently registered Oakland University students are required to start and maintain an organization.
  • The president and treasurer of the organization must attend all mandatory Student Organization Officer Training Workshops.
  • Only currently registered Oakland University students may hold offices or other leadership positions in the organization.
  • Students may only serve as an officer of two organizations. They can not hold the same position in both.
  • More than 80% of the organization’s membership must consist of currently registered Oakland University students.
  • All student organizations officers must hold at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
  • A current Oakland University faculty or professional staff member must serve as an advisor to the organization (except for bona fide campus ministers and Greek organization advisors).
  • A returning student organization must renew every fall semester and with officer changes. A new student organization may register at any time. Organizations that do not renew become inactive.
  • Student organizations cannot share the same mission statement, purpose or officers with another student organization.

In accordance with University policies and procedures, the privileges of recognition and registration include:

  • Eligibility to apply for funding through Student Activities Funding Board (SAFB) in accordance with SAFB guidelines
  • Eligibility to use the University’s name following the organization’s name (for example: The Tree Club at Oakland University is acceptable; Oakland University Tree Club is not acceptable)
  • Eligibility to reserve University facilities
  • Eligibility to be considered for campus awards and recognition
  • Mailbox in the OSI
Responsibilities of Recognition

Recognized organizations will be held accountable for fulfilling their academic responsibilities and for maintaining appropriate standards of behavior. This includes:

  • Ensuring non-discrimination in membership and programming
  • Maintaining accurate information on GrizzOrgs
  • Keeping detailed records of all fundraising, allocations, other deposits and expenditures for all organization accounts; as well as maintaining the fiscal solvency of the organization
  • Maintaining accountability for the actions of the membership of the organization
  • Abiding by University policies and procedures, as well as local, state, and federal laws
  • Refraining from all activities associated with hazing and use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
  • Refraining from advising or misleading third parties into believing that members are agents of the University
  • Ensuring that all officers remain in good disciplinary and has a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
Starting a New Student Organization

If a student is interested in starting a new student organization, they must follow the Responsibility of Recognition guidelines when registering the organization on GrizzOrgs.

Starting a Club Sport

Students interested in starting a Club Sport should visit the Club Sports Office. Classification is determined by the Club Sports Office and the Office for Student Involvement. When applying, consider the following:

  • Are there advancement opportunities or skill level capabilities in this activity?
  • Does it activity involve physical activity?
  • Is there a competition component to this activity and a governing body?
  • Is the use of athletic facilities a primary need for this activity?
Conduct Procedures

Student organization procedural violations are reviewed by the Office for Student Involvement. Alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct by students and student organizations are processed through the Dean of Students Office.

Events & activities
Finals and Break Policy

Student organizations cannot schedule programs, activities, events and meetings during the study period, during final exams, or during university breaks including weekends before and after the breaks.

Food Service Inside the Oakland Center

There can be no food or drink brought into the Oakland Center. All food service in the Oakland Center must be ordered through Chartwells. Food orders may be placed through the Chartwells Catering Office, 121 OC, x3400 or here. This includes food for events and general organizational meetings. For further information, click here.

Always check the Chartwells quote and order sheet and the account number to ensure they are correct. Students can email [email protected] for more information on Chartwells and catering. If funding is not approved, please be sure to cancel the Chartwells order or the organization will be held liable.

Food Service Outside the Oakland Center

If holding an event outside of the Oakland Center, organizations may use alternate food service providers. A current certificate of liability insurance is required from the vendor to order. A completed W-9 form is required to pay the vendor. Additionally, a copy of the event flyer and a list containing the names of the student organization members attending the event is also required.


Pepsi is the exclusive beverage supplier for Oakland University. According to OU's agreement with Pepsi, products manufactured by Pepsi are to be the only beverage products of their respective types sold, distributed, advertised, displayed, sampled or otherwise made available on OU's campus. This means that even when it comes to reimbursements, only Pepsi products may be purchased.

Aquafina is Pepsi's bottled water brand. For a comprehensive look at all of Pepsico's beverage brands, please visit their website here.

Films, Documentaries, and Television Series

Student organizations wishing to show films that will be advertised to the university community and shown publicly must obtain a public performance license. Purchasing this license allows organizations to show the movie to a large, public audience without violating federal law. The cost for films vary, depending on the availability and type of film. Contact [email protected] for more information.

Games of Skills vs. Games of Chance and Poker

Games of Chance such as bingo, casino parties, charity games, poker, and raffles are considered forms of gambling in the State of Michigan, and as such, are illegal for all organizations and individuals except as authorized by law. State law provides that Michigan colleges and universities may conduct certain games of chance under specific circumstances. Games must:

  • be held for the direct institutional benefit of the university or its activities
  • be in compliance with State law and the Bureau of State Lottery
  • follow University Policies Procedures

Any organization wishing to sponsor a game of chance on OU’s campus must contact the Director of the Office for Student Involvement. The request is reviewed by the Director of the Office for Student Involvement, in consultation with the Vice Presidents for Student Affairs and Vice President for Development. If approved by the Vice President's, State-licensing requests must be prepared and submitted through the Division of University Relations. Most games of chance require a State licensing or registration fee.

Games of Skill (i.e., guess the number of M&M's in a jar) do not require state licensing or registration. Drawings are considered games of chance, not games of skill. 50/50 Drawings for $100 or less when all tickets are sold at a single gathering and the drawing is conducted at the same gathering does not require a state license or registration. Do not use the term raffle on advertisements, please use the word drawing. All drawings, regardless of prize amount, must have university approval. For further information and approval for games of chance and games of skill, contact [email protected] for more information.

Hazing Policy

Hazing is defined as any action taken or situation related to organizational membership that produces mental/physical discomfort, embarrassment/ridicule, or threatens/endangers the life or safety of an individual. All forms of hazing are strictly prohibited at Oakland University and against the law in the state of Michigan. This includes:

  • disfiguration to include branding or self-mutilation
  • paddling in any form
  • creation of excessive fatigue
  • activities such as quests, treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, and road trips, that are conducted in an illegal, demeaning or dangerous manner
  • public wearing of apparel that is conspicuous and not normally in good taste
  • engaging in public stunts and buffoonery
  • morally degrading or humiliating games and activities
  • any activities that interfere with class attendance, class preparation or scholastic activities, or activities that are disruptive to any university department, office or classroom
  • verbal abuse that leads to public embarrassment or humiliation
  • implication that an act of hazing could be pre-initiatory
  • any other activities that are not consistent with fraternal law, ritual policy, or the policies and regulations of Oakland University

If members of an outside, non-Oakland University chapter or organization initiate a hazing incident on Oakland University's campus or against an Oakland University student or recruit, the Oakland University organization or chapter will be held responsible.

Any student organization or Greek organization or individual accused of hazing shall be referred the Dean of Students and charged under the terms of the Oakland University Code of Conduct and judicial system.

Off Campus Events

Proposals for off-campus events may be considered on a case-by-case basis in the event that adequate venues or services are not available on campus. Off-campus events at which alcoholic beverages will be present are not approved. If alcoholic beverages are later discovered to have been present, the approval is thereby revoked and the organization and its members will face financial and disciplinary consequences accordingly.

SAFB funds cannot be used towards restaurant trips. To attend events off campus (such as Whirly ball, Laser tag, etc.), the vendor’s current certificate of liability insurance must be submitted to the OSI for each event before approval will be considered. The Oakland University name cannot be attached to events at stand-alone bars or clubs.

Reimbursements for off campus events must include an itemized receipt and a list of members that attended the event. The total on the receipt cannot exceed $200 and there can only be one receipt per store or chain per day. No reimbursements will be given if alcohol or tobacco products are on the receipt.


Only one bonfire will be approved per day. Bonfire requests should be submitted in advance to reserve space and will take a minimum of seven (7) business days to process. However, the Fire Marshal will not approve bonfires more than one to two weeks prior to the event. Student organizations will be notified if their date is not able to be reserved. Otherwise assume the space is reserved and pending Fire Marshal approval no more than two weeks prior. The Fire Marshal reserves the right to cancel bonfires at any time.

Student organizations are responsible for cleaning up after their events and for any damages incurred during them. Organizations must provide their own firewood. Wood cannot be used from the property of Oakland University. All wood must be removed from the site at the end of the event. Charcoal cannot be used. The bonfire must be completely extinguished by water at the completion of the event. Water is available at the site for use in putting out the fire.

The bonfire pit is located by the P11 parking lot and the Recreation and Athletic Outdoor Complex. For the safety of the participants, be sure they are familiar with the area surrounding the bonfire pit. No vehicles can be driven on the upper fields or bonfire pit area at any time.

Unauthorized Activities and Equipment

Cooking, grilling and the use of unapproved cooking appliances are prohibited except in areas designated for such use or with the written approval of the authority having jurisdiction. Use of any unauthorized electrical equipment (i.e. space heaters, hot plates, grills) is prohibited. Open burning flames and burning of candles or combustibles is prohibited.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Drugs

No alcohol, tobacco or drugs are permitted at any student organization event or activity, on or off campus. The only exception to this rule is the university-sanctioned BYOB tailgates during Homecoming and Winterfest.

The Oakland University name cannot be attached to events held at stand-alone bars or clubs for any purpose. University funds cannot be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco, or any associated products. In addition, all events must follow the university’s Administrative Policies & Procedures Section 400: Unlawful Use of Alcoholic Beverages.


If a student organization would like to hold an auction, silent and live auctioning of items is permitted, such as tickets to a sporting event or theatre tickets. The auctioning of people for dates, service or otherwise is not allowed at Oakland University.  Please contact [email protected] for more information.


All contracts must be processed and negotiated through the Office for Student Involvement. Individuals and student organizations may not sign any contracts for services or goods with an individual or a company on behalf of Oakland University. It is recommended that all contracts are turned into the OSI one month prior to the event. There is still no guarantee that the check will be prepared prior to the event. If this occurs, the performer will be mailed payment unless otherwise requested. The contractor must sign before Oakland University will process the contract. A W-9 and certificate of liability insurance (with Oakland University as the certificate holder) must be turned in with the contract. The Oakland University Services Agreement must be used; no outside contracts will be accepted.

If a performer or service provider does not have insurance, the student organization will have to work through the OSI to determine if the insurance requirement can be waived or insurance needs to be purchased. Any changes to a contract must be reviewed and approved by the Department of Risk Management and the Oakland University General Counsel’s Office.  If a student organization would like assistance selecting, contracting, or negotiating with a performer or presenter, the staff of the OSI has several resources available. Student organizations are not to contact the Department of Risk Management or the Office of General Counsel.

A checklist to assist in completing the contract process is available on GrizzOrgs.

In addition to the Service Agreement, the performer will also need to fill out an Invoice.

Major Events and Dance Policy

A major event is a program, event or activity sponsored by student organizations involving 250 or more participants held on OU’s campus. Examples of major events include dances, balls, step shows, talent shows, fashion shows, comedy shows, lectures, entertainment performances, and pig roasts. Meetings are not considered major events. Student organizations can only sponsor or co-sponsor one major event per semester.

Sponsoring Organization Requirements

A student organization must have a minimum of 10 active members to sponsor a major event.  Student organizations may co-sponsor a major event, but the main sponsor must have 10 active student organization members. If a major event is co-sponsored with an OU office or department, the student organization must follow the major events policy.

Three weeks prior to the date of the major event, the sponsoring organization must meet with the Assistant Director of Student Organization Programs or the Director of the Office for Student Involvement to review the major events policy. One week prior to the major event/dance date, all required documentation must be submitted to the OSI or the event will be cancelled.

Prior to the major event, the sponsoring organization must have allocated funds in their on-campus student organization account to cover all major event related expenses. The sponsoring organization is responsible for one half the cost of the Oakland University Police Department officers and one half of the cost of the OSI student employees if required to be present at the major event. The number of OUPD officers will be determined by OUPD and the OSI. Arrangements will be handled through the OSI.

Ten members of the sponsoring student organization(s) are required to be present for the duration of the major events. They must arrive thirty minutes prior to the start of the major event and attend a pre-major events meeting to review the major events policy, emergency guidelines, and receive assignments. The sponsoring organization(s) cannot host another OU approved program, activity or event, in the Oakland Center or elsewhere on OU’s campus the same evening they are sponsoring a major event.

Major Event Hours and Location

Major events must conclude no later than the requirements of the venue. Major events are not permitted during the final examination period. Dances are only permitted on Friday or Saturday nights. Dances are restricted to the Gold Rooms of the Oakland Center, unless otherwise approved by the Office for Student Involvement. Once maximum capacity has been reached, no additional OU students or guests are permitted to enter the dance.

Major Event Entrance Requirements

Oakland University officials reserve the right to refuse admission to anyone when deemed necessary to ensure the safety and security of the campus. Major events are not open to the general public.

Current Students

Major events and dances are open to all currently registered Oakland University students. During dances, OU students must present a valid OU identification card to be admitted.

Guest Policy

OU registered students are eligible to host one guest. If an organization is hosting an event that is open to off-campus or family members, please meet with the Office for Student Involvement.

The OU student host must accompany their guest through the guest sign-in process with the understanding that they will be held responsible for any acts of their guest that violate the Oakland University Student Conduct Code. OU students cannot sign-in a guest they do not know. Guests must be a minimum age of 18 and present valid photo identification during the major events sign-in process. Acceptable identification includes a valid driver’s license or state identification card. OU alumni are required to have an OU student host to be admitted to a major event/dance. Anyone leaving the major event at any time will not be readmitted. No one will be permitted to enter the dance/major event after midnight. A pre-approved, pre-sign-up guest list can be submitted one week prior to the major event/dance. The number of pre-signed guests will be capped at 15% of the approved number in attendance or size of the venue.

Entry Fee

OU students will not be charged an admission fee to major events sponsored by student organizations. However, non-OU guests can be charged an admission fee. A student organization would need the approval of the OSI to sponsor a fundraiser. All monies collected from an admission fee and an approved fundraiser must be deposited into the student organization’s on-campus Flex account.

Major Event Supervision

The sponsoring student organization adviser is required to be present at all major events with more than 100 people. If the adviser is not available, the organization must inform the Office of Student Involvement of a substitute at least three weeks before the event.

Based on the expected number of major event attendees, the number of OUPD officers will be determined by OUPD and the OSI. Scheduling of police officers will be arranged by the Office for Student Involvement. OUPD rates for officers are $60.00/hour, and $64.00/hour for sergeants ($30/$32 for student organizations respectively). Most major events with over 500 people will require two over-time officers for a minimum of four hours (unless OUPD deems unnecessary). Events taking place in 201 Dodge Hall will also require officers for attendance greater than 200 people.

Dance Supervision

The student organization’s adviser along with a staff member from the Office for Student Involvement must be present at all dances. Two OUPD officers are required at all dances and are paid for a minimum of five hours.

Alcohol and Drug Policy

Possession and consumption of alcohol or illegal substances are prohibited and will result in immediate expulsion from a major event. Violators of this policy will be subject to the campus judicial process and criminal prosecution.

Major Event Shut Down

University officials have the authority to shut down a major event for a just cause such as the sponsoring organization’s failure to comply with the major events policy or a violation of campus ordinances. In the event a major event is shut down, the OSI may require the sponsoring organization to pay back all funding allocated for the major event by SAFB, as well as labor charges to the OSI, Oakland Center and OUPD. Additionally, the sponsoring organization may not be eligible to host another major event for a specified period of time. The sponsoring organization will be held financially accountable for any damages or excessive cleaning to the facility resulting from disorderly behavior of OU students and guests attending the event.

Major Event Promotion

No advertising of any kind is permitted off campus or via the internet with public viewing.

Publicity for a major event must include the following information: OU guest policy, under 18 entry restriction, valid picture identification requirement (driver’s license or state ID card), no glass or plastic bottles, alcohol, drugs, or weapons are permitted, and no re-admittance to the major event. A copy of the publicity for the sponsoring organization’s major event is due one week prior to the major event date.

Major Event Policy Violations

Violations of the major events policy will be adjudicated by the Office for Student Involvement.

Exceptions to the Major Events Policy will be addressed on a case by case basis through the OSI , Dean of Students Office and OUPD.

University Branding and Logo Guidelines

Consistency is key to strengthening brand identity — particularly when it comes to logo usage and creation. All student groups must follow guidelines put forth by the Communications and Marketing Department. Brand guidelines for logos, colors and general marketing can be found here. For questions, please contact the Office for Student Involvement.>

Bulletin Boards and Posting Information

Posting is defined as the hanging of information or advertising on any campus bulletin board, window, door, wall or other university property. Oakland University reserves the right to refuse permission to any individual or group for postings that:

  • seriously impede normal university activity
  • do not follow Oakland University policies and procedures
  • include inappropriate material
  • contain content in violation of university policies and ordinances, or state and federal laws
  • do not support the role and mission of the university.

Examples of posters that would be denied posting include advertisements for events at bars or nightclubs and posters containing alcohol or drugs.

Bulletin boards are primarily available for the university community. The “OSI Posting Areas” are reserved for campus activities sponsored by registered student organizations, University departments, offices, and off-campus individuals/groups/businesses with permission from the OSI. All fliers to be hung on bulletin boards must be approved and stamped by the OSI.

The approved OSI posting areas can be found here.


Student Organizations wishing to purchase a banner must fill out a Banner Request Form on GrizzOrgs. Banners are hung in the OC for one week prior to the event. If space is available, requests can be made for an extended period of time. Banners are printed on white paper that measures 36 inches high by 84 inches wide. Other size banners and posters may also be requested and prices will vary depending on size. All requests for colors and graphics will be taken into consideration, but final copy design is at the discretion of the OSI. The cost of each banner starts at $15. If a banner uses more than the average amount of ink, additional charges will incur accordingly. Requests received within one week of the date needed will incur a rush fee of $10 per banner.

Organizations are responsible for obtaining permission to hang banners in buildings other than the Oakland Center. Personal banners can be ordered but not on a priority basis, and must be paid for in full by check, cash or credit card upon receipt. To display a banner in and around the residence halls, please contact the Housing Office, Hamlin Hall, Room 448 or extension 3570.  To display a banner in the Campus Recreation Center, please contact Campus Recreation and Well-Being at extension 4372. To display a banner in an academic building please contact the dean’s office of that building.


The use of standard chalk (not paint or chalk paint) is permitted on areas of the sidewalk that are subject to weather. Chalking under the overhangs, on the side of buildings, columns, benches, and other campus structures is not permitted. Chalking should be limited to the areas of campus around the Oakland Center and the sidewalks to the residence halls. In addition, please keep the chalking appropriate, tasteful and respectful of other organizations, individuals and the OU community. Student organizations cannot chalk the Oakland University Seal located between North and South Foundation Halls. Student organizations who do not cooperate with the chalking policy may be subject to disciplinary action.

A-Frames and Wooden Signs

Registered student organizations are permitted to display A-frames and wooden signs on campus. The signs can be no larger than 3’ high and 2’ wide. The signs can be a maximum of 15 pounds. Signs can only be placed on cement sidewalks and cannot obstruct any walkways or paths. Additionally, signs cannot be in front of doors, forks in the sidewalk, in any parking lot or space. Signs cannot be chained or weighted down. All signs must be removed from Oakland University property prior to Thanksgiving recess. The OSI is not responsible for stolen or damaged signs. Placement of the signs outdoors is at the organization’s risk. Student Organizations may reserve A-Frame signs from the OSI by filling out an Equipment Form on GrizzOrgs.

Email Distribution

Per OU policy students must only use their OU email address for all communication with the OSI. The OU email system cannot be used as a means of advertising, soliciting or spamming any student, organization or department in the OU community.

Electronic Message Boards

Student organizations may submit event information for display on the electronic message boards located in the Oakland Center and the marquee on the corner of Walton and Adams.

To submit information for the board in the Oakland Center, contact the OC Reservations Office, Oakland Center, Room 118, extension 3230.

To submit information for the marquee, contact the University Communications and Marketing account manager for the Office for Student Involvement found here. General student activities are typically not advertised through the marquee and advertising is not open to the general public.

Spirit Rocks and Campus Artwork

There are existing spirit rocks available for use by student organizations. They are located on the north and east end of the Oakland Center. Messages should be appropriate, tasteful and respectful of other organizations and individuals in the OU community. Paint must be kept off of all university property and the surrounding areas of the spirit rocks. Painting of the rocks comes at a first come first serve basis and a courtesy of 24 hours before repainting is expected. Do not paint the rocks around the lake or the parking lots. Tampering with any campus artwork, including the statues in front of Kresge Library and the Oakland University Seal is prohibited.


There are tables available in the Oakland Center for student organizations to use for sales, publicity and promotions. These tables must be reserved through GrizzOrgs. Any sale must be approved by the Oakland Center. Food sales are not permitted. Crafts, candy and flower sales are permitted. To allow for the uninterrupted flow of traffic in the hallways, all transactions must be completed from behind the table assigned to the organization. In addition, representatives are prohibited from active solicitation, which disrupts normal university activity. If an organization has reserved a table in the Oakland Center, please see the Reservations Office to have it set up.

Table Tents

Student organizations can advertise with table tents in the Pioneer Food Court. Table tents must be approved and scheduled for display through GrizzOrgs. The sponsoring organization is responsible for placing their approved table tents on any Pioneer Food Court tables. Up to three different table tents may be displayed per week. Fliers, handouts and other printed materials may not be left on any tables in the Oakland Center. Each student organization can set up table tents for one event per month.

If an organization wants to put up table tents in Vandenberg Dining Hall or other Housing locations, it must get approval from Housing first.

Compliance & FERPA

For an organization to be compatible with and in support of the educational mission of Oakland University, it must remain in compliance with this relationship statement. Non-compliance with the provisions of this statement will jeopardize the privilege of recognition. Oakland University retains the right to deny recognition, and to suspend or rescind the recognition of a student organization if it duplicates the mission and activity of another organization or for any violation of the relationship statement or any other Oakland University policies and procedures.

Oakland University, as an equal opportunity and affirmative action institution, is committed to compliance with federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination, including Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act. It is the policy of Oakland University that there shall be no discrimination on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, handicap, veteran status or other prohibited factors in employment, admissions, educational programs or activities. Membership in an Oakland University organization must abide by this policy. An exception to this policy includes social fraternities and sororities that are permitted by federal and state law to discriminate on the basis of gender. Oakland University is a public, state-supported institution of higher education and adheres to the principles of separation of church and state.


Oakland University’s commitment to it educational mission demands that it maintains various student information concerning characteristics, activities, academic performance and accomplishments of students.

All policies and practices governing the collection, maintenance, review, and release of student education records are based on the principles of confidentiality and the student’s right to privacy, consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. FERPA is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of education records and to establish the right of students to inspect, review, amend and restrict access to their education records.

All members of the faculty, administration and clerical staff must respect confidential information about students which they acquire in the course of their work. Additionally, the University shall be flexible enough in its policies not to hinder the student, the institution or the community in their legitimate pursuits. Each of the record-keeping administrative units within the University may develop its own additional specific procedures in accordance with the general policy stated here.

In compliance with FERPA, the University will annually notify students of their rights and the institutional policies pertaining to FERPA. Notification will appear in publications such as the Student Handbook, Oakland Post, Schedule of Classes and the Grizzly Guide. A full copy of the University FERPA policy can be found on the Dean of Students Office website.

The OSI will comply with the wishes of any student who does not want directory information released, if the student has requested confidentiality through the Office of the Registrar. Directory information (name, phone, and address) will be released until the student requests in writing that it be withheld. Students should notify the OSI if they are on the FERPA list.
Funding & Purchases
Student Organization Accounts

Once student organizations are active, they are given two accounts, FLEX and SAFB. The FLEX account is an account that has money that is earned. This is money collected through dues, fundraising, or donations. The FLEX account is not cleared at the end of the semester: it stays with the organization until it is spent. This money rolls over from semester to semester, year to year. The SAFB account is an account that has money that the organization has requested and has been approved for. This money is requested through the Student Activities Funding Board, and is reset to $0 at the end of the semester.

Off-campus accounts are not recognized by the Office for Student Involvement and are not permitted. Oakland University and the Office of Student Involvement are not responsible for anything taking place in an off-campus account.

Student Activities Funding Board

All student organizations can apply for funding through the Student Activities Funding Board (SAFB). Please refer to the Student Activities Funding Board for information on how to apply for funding.

Payment/Reimbursement Form/Purchasing/Office Supplies

Before a purchase can take place, the student organization will need to fill out a payment/reimbursement form, which should have an invoice or quote attached to it. When this form is filled out, it should contain detailed information concerning the purchase or reimbursement. A list of recommended vendors for supplies and services can be obtained through the OSI Accounting Clerk, who can be reached at (248) 370-4335.

If the reimbursement includes the purchase of food, please give proof of the meeting or event, and the list of attendees to the Accounting Clerk.

Please note: If items were shipped to a student’s personal address, that student will not be reimbursed. Everything is to be shipped to the OSI.

Concerning office supplies, Smart Business Systems is the university preferred vendor. Prices may be lower once the order is placed due to discounts given to the university community and all purchases are tax-exempt.

Please fill out the payment/reimbursement form on Grizzorgs and the Accounting Clerk will order the supplies. Orders are typically delivered within 1-2 business days and will be available for pick-up in the OSI. If Smart Business Systems does not carry what a student organization needs or if it can find a vendor offering a better price, it may contact the Accounting Clerk in the OSI (248) 370-4335 to assist in placing orders through other vendors utilizing the university’s tax-exempt status.

On-campus Catering other than Chartwells

When planning a function that requires on-campus catering services, a current certificate of liability insurance, listing Oakland University as the certificate holder, must be received before the purchase requisition will be processed. If a function is taking place in the Oakland Center or Vandenberg Dining Center, student organizations cannot hire an outside catering company; they must utilize Chartwells, the university’s contracted food service provider.

Payments to caterers may be made at the time the food is delivered or picked up.  Please see the Accounting Clerk at least two weeks before an event for assistance.

Sam’s Club Purchases

Sam's Club will no longer keep the OSI's credit card on file. Meaning, you must first stop by the OSI to pick up the card. Since the card is now in the OSI, the card will only be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore, before picking up the card, you are required to fill out a the Sam's Credit Card form in Grizzorgs.  This will do away with the Sam's Card Authorization form. Meaning, students are no longer required to receive authorization from the OSI to use the card. However, the Request for Usage of Sam's Card Form requires authorization from the President or Treasurer of the organization.

The steps to using the Sam's Club Card are the following:

  1. President or Treasurer (Requester) fills out the Request for Usage of Sam's Credit Card form
  2. President or Treasurer (Opposite of Requester) approves the form
  3. The person authorized to pick up the card (whomever is stated on the form), comes to the OSI to pick up the card
  4. The person that is authorized will sign their name, put the pick up date of the card, and put the name of the organization on the sign off sheet
  5. Return original receipts and the Sam's Club card to the OSI on the next business day
  6. If there was a meeting or an event, include list of attendees and proof of the meeting

There are two cards available.

Any questions can be directed to the Accounting Clerk at (248) 370-4335 or by email at [email protected].

Requisition Requirements
  • Requisitions for food must include a current certificate of liability insurance to be attached to the numbered invoice from the restaurant. Oakland University must be listed under the certificate holder. Without a certificate of liability insurance, we are unable to process a requisition.
  • Requisitions for off campus events (bowling, laser tag, etc.) will need the company’s current certificate of liability insurance attached to the numbered invoiced. Oakland University must be listed as the certificate holder.
  • Receipts, invoices or other documentation for payment must be submitted within 30 days of the date on the documentation to be paid. No exceptions will be made.
Prizes and Gift Cards

Student organizations frequently give away prizes at events. While this practice is acceptable, there are very specific guidelines to keep in mind.

  • All prizes must be reported to Financial Aid. All prize recipients must sign for the items won.
  • All cash prizes are subject to taxation.
  • Tangible, non-cash items worth more than $74.99 are subject to taxation.
  • Recipients of such items must sign for the item(s) won so it can be reported to the IRS as well as to Financial Aid.
  • Under no circumstance can Student organizations purchase or give away gift cards and gift certificates
  • SAFB does not fund prizes/giveaways

Student organizations are encouraged to fundraise to support their programs and membership. The Office for Student Involvement can provide organizations assistance identifying fundraising opportunities. No fundraiser (or other event) at a bar or club is allowed. Additionally, due to liability reasons, organizations cannot participate in Comerica Park, Ford Field, or Little Caeser's Arena concession fundraisers or any vendor requiring a contract. There are strict state regulations to auctions and raffles, so please work directly with the OSI to plan such events.

Petty Cash

Petty cash is available to registered student organizations through the OSI.  A Petty Cash form must be completed at least two business days in advance of the desired pickup date.  Original receipts and change must be returned to the OSI Accounting Clerk, no later than 24 hours after the pickup date.  Failure to do so may restrict future requests for petty cash or result in the suspension of financial privileges.  Funds are limited and are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Petty cash cannot be used for the following:

  • Purchase of gift cards
  • Copies or purchases at Kinkos or other off-campus printing services
  • Parking
  • Gas for traveling
  • Meals while traveling
  • Deposits

Original receipts must be detailed outlining what was purchased, the purchase price and the method of payment. Credit and debit card receipts are not accepted. There is a $100 limit on petty cash requests. If food was involved with the purchase, please give proof of the meeting or event, and a list of attendees to the Accounting Clerk.

Group Transportation Requests

Transportation of any sort for Oakland University student organizations must be provided only by an approved vendor, which can be found on the purchasing website. A Payment/Reimbursement Request Form (located on GrizzOrgs) must be completed. Please attach a copy of the planned travel itinerary. This includes number of people attending, times and dates that transportation is needed, as well as destination.

Group Outings

For at-risk activities such as canoeing, horseback riding or hay rides, the facility and company must provide a current certificate of liability insurance, listing Oakland University as the certificate holder.

Please be advised that Oakland University does not provide vendors with a deposit for service or equipment.

Travel Approval

The Office for Student Involvement and Oakland University take no responsibility or assume any liabilities for off campus accounts. Credit and debit cards cannot be used.

Waiver of Responsibility

All students are required to sign the waiver of responsibility for participation in activity. Forms are obtained through GrizzOrgs. In addition to the Oakland University Travel Policy for Student Organizations, student organizations are subject to the following guidelines and policies regarding travel:

  • For all in-state travel, travel must be approved by the Assistant Director Student Organization Programs.
  • For out-of-state travel in the United States, travel must also be approved by the Dean of Students.
  • For out-of-country travel (including Canada and Mexico), travel must also be approved by the Dean of Students and Vice President for Student Affairs

All forms must be submitted at least ten working days prior to travel. For out-of-country travel, please ask first and at least a semester in advance before planning. Documents verifying the purpose of the trip must be included with the travel authorization form.

After approval is received from the appropriate university officials, the organization is required to collect signed waiver of responsibility forms from each person participating in the trip. These waivers must be submitted online through GrizzOrgs prior to travel.

All transportation rentals in which university funds are being used must be approved through the OSI accounting clerk. The rental of 15 passenger vans from any vendor is not allowed. Rental vehicles are subject to OSI approval and compliance with university policy.

For individuals traveling on behalf of student organizations, no alcohol may be consumed or possessed in any vehicle. All approved drivers and trip supervisors must abstain from use of alcohol over the entire duration of the trip. Trip supervisors may prohibit the participation of individuals showing signs of intoxication or other inappropriate behavior from any or all activities over the duration of the trip.

Depending upon the nature of the trip, a pre-approved OU employee may be required to accompany the organization. The Assistant Director of Student Organization Programs, the Dean of Students, or the Vice President for Student Affairs may add stipulations as conditions of approval for travel.

University Funding for Travel

Student Activities Funding Board  (SAFB) funds can only be utilized towards conference registration costs. Travel expenses, hotel and food costs must be paid for through the organization’s FLEX account, or by the individual students traveling. Organizations applying for conference registration fees through SAFB are responsible for contacting the conference coordinator to obtain accurate amounts for registration fees that do not include meals or housing costs.


Links to important Student Organization training resources can be found below. For more information on Student Organization training, please contact