Master of Arts in Counseling
The counseling profession helps people to become self-aware, growth-oriented and effective in mastering the challenges of life. Counselors - as skilled, perceptive, broadly educated professionals - assist clients in identifying areas for improvement and in carrying out changes that promote life fulfillment. Drawing upon a foundation of research and theory in philosophy, psychology and education, counselors use therapeutic skills and consultation techniques with both individuals and groups. In any setting, the goal of counseling is to help people expand their potential, facilitate development and live more satisfying and productive lives.
Initial courses introduce the theoretical and professional components of the field. Later courses emphasize research and clinical skills. In practicum and internship, students are supervised intensively as they apply their knowledge and skills in courses that use on-campus laboratory facilities and approved field training sites. Students select a degree in either (a) mental health or (b) school counseling:
Oakland’s programs have been accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) since 1994.
If you have any questions or concerns about the accessibility of the content or documents on this page, please view our Public Accessibility Statement.
- M.A. applicants (September start) – April 1
- M.A. applicants (January start) – October 1
- Applications are submitted online with Graduate Admissions.
- A supplemental application may be required for your program.
- You must submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended. If you are a United States active duty service member or veteran, you should also include your military transcript.
- International applicants requiring an I-20 or DS-2019 visa must also complete and submit the International Student Supplemental Application Packet and specified support documents.
Submit official transcripts to
- Oakland University
520 O’Dowd Hall
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4482