Accelerated BSN Second Degree
This tool should only be used as a guide — remember to meet with your academic adviser, Career Services and/or faculty to determine appropriate career options.
Put your nursing career on fast-forward in our accelerated BSN program.
We developed our accelerated nursing program to help meet the growing demand for leaders in the nursing profession. Available as a second degree to students who hold a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field, our accelerated BSN provides an intensive 15-month pathway to a nursing career. Like all of Oakland University’s nursing degrees, the accelerated nursing degree emphasizes hands-on clinical practice. You’ll work in a wide variety of settings with diverse patient populations, getting a range of experience that’s unusually broad in an accelerated nursing program. Accredited by the Council on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), our accelerated BSN (or ABSN) provides a rigorous academic foundation and offers excellent preparation for the NCLEX-RN licensing exam. Students who earn a second degree in our accelerated nursing program have outstanding job placement and graduate school acceptance rates.
Accelerated BSN Degree: The Oakland University Advantage
Oakland University has clinical partnerships with health care organizations throughout Southeast Michigan. Those connections enable our accelerated BSN students to acquire broad experience very quickly, developing the professional polish, maturity, and confidence that nursing leaders require. In addition to earning a second degree in our accelerated nursing program, you’ll benefit from:
- High-quality field placements. Clinical experience represents the core strength of our accelerated nursing program. You’ll work throughout Southeast Michigan in hospitals, ERs, nursing homes, schools, and many other settings, serving patients from all corners of society. You’ll also interact with professionals from virtually every field of health care, getting extremely well-rounded career preparation.
- A diverse student body. We welcome bachelor’s degree holders from all backgrounds into our accelerated BSN program. Participants range from recent college graduates to military veterans, and from working adults who seek new career challenges to health care professionals who want to have a deeper role in patient care.
- First-rate academics. As an accredited program, our accelerated BSN meets exacting standards for curriculum and content. You’ll work with the most current nursing technology and learn the theory and practice of evidence-based, patient-centered care. Graduates of our accelerated nursing program are high achievers on the NCLEX-RN exam, in the job market, and in the graduate school applicant pool.
- Outstanding faculty. You’ll learn from nursing veterans who combine years of clinical practice and research with high academic achievement. Our accelerated BSN faculty teach from firsthand experience, offering professional mentorship and career guidance in addition to textbook instruction.
- Personalized support. Although the accelerated nursing program is very challenging, you’ll have access to many resources to help you succeed. We support our students with one-on-one academic advising, peer tutoring, ATI test preparation, counseling, and other services.
Accelerated BSN Careers
The accelerated BSN program is designed to meet the urgent demand for leaders in the nursing profession. The American Journal of Medical Quality, American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), and U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics all project significant nursing shortages over the next decade. Our accelerated nursing program equips you to move directly into supervisory or management nursing jobs, or to pursue graduate nursing degrees.
After earning a second degree in our accelerated nursing program, you’ll be a strong candidate for nursing positions in:
- Surgical centers
- Private medical practices
- Emergency rooms
- Nursing homes
- Schools and universities
- Community clinics
- Extended-care facilities
- Nonprofit health organizations
- International aid agencies
Accelerated BSN: What You’ll Study
Our accelerated nursing program takes four semesters (15 months) to complete. Three semesters include a clinical practice component along with coursework. Lab study and research are also part of the accelerated BSN curriculum.
Courses address a wide range of subjects that include:
- Health assessment
- Adult nursing
- Family nursing
- Nursing care for children
- Mental health
- Nursing leadership
- Research methods