This section is meant as a supplemental information guide as it expands on the terms and conditions outlined in the Oakland University Housing contract. Services provided by University Housing, room occupancy and change procedures as well as food service information are outlined in more detail in this section.

Basic cable is included in the cost of your housing contract through Comcast Cable. The cable network can be accessed via traditional coaxial connections or an HDMI port located on a wall-mounted cable box; however, only the HDMI connection can receive high definition channels. A room-specific remote is provided with each cable box, and must remain in the room after the student moves out, or they may be charged for a replacement remote. Students are not permitted to install alternative forms of cable TV access; however, they may upgrade their Comcast cable package. Please note that any agreement with Comcast for services above and beyond what is provided by University Housing is a contract between Comcast Cable and the student who orders the services. University Housing and Oakland University have no responsibility for any additional charges or equipment. Residents who experience trouble with their cable can contact the University Housing Office at (248) 370-3570 to make an appointment with Comcast Cable. All other questions regarding cable service can be directed to Comcast Cable.
Food Service

Program Description
All University Housing meal programs (board plans) give students the opportunity to eat at any time at any Chartwells food service operation on campus. Those operations include:

Vandenberg Dining Center
This cafeteria-style dining facility features an all-you-can-eat menu in a comfortable, contemporary and convenient location on the second floor of East Vandenberg Hall.

Pioneer Food Court
The food court is located in the Oakland Center. Subway, Panda Express, Moe’s Southwest Grill, crEATe and Chick-Fil-A are among the shops available to students in this food service facility.

Tilly’s Convenience Store
Tilly’s is located on the second floor of Oak View Hall and features a convenience store as well as sandwiches, soups and coffee.

Au Bon Pain Coffee Shop
This coffee shop is located in the Oakland Center’s main hallway and offers an extensive line of coffee, espresso and other gourmet drinks, including smoothies. Au Bon Pain also offers à la carte breakfast and lunch options.

Einstein Brothers Bagels
This shop is located in the Engineering Center and features bagels, sandwiches, salads, coffee and smoothies. Grizz Express This convenience store is located in the Oakland Center, across from the Pioneer Food Court, and is open until 11 p.m. Here you can grab a quick snack, as well as other essential supplies and spirit gear.

Bear Cave
Located on the lower level of the Oakland Center, the Bear Cave offers pizza, sliders, fries and other delicious fast food options.

View current facility hours.

Meal Plans
Every student living in the residence halls must select a meal plan. The Vandenberg Dining Center is the primary food facility for residence hall students. It is also open to faculty, staff, guests and non-board students on a cash basis or through a voluntary meal plan. Meal plans are designed to provide various levels of flexibility. The meal plan is combined with the housing contract, and charges for food plans are included in the housing bill. Each plan includes eight guest meals students can use for friends, family members or other guests.

All University Housing Meal Programs (board plans) give students the opportunity to eat at any Chartwells food service operation on campus. Satellite operations may be found in Elliot Hall, the Human Health Building, Kresge Library, Oak View Hall, the Engineering Center and Pawley Hall. Main dining operations are located in the Oakland Center’s Pioneer Food Court and the Vandenberg Dining Center.

Learn more about individual plans.

Missed Meals and Sick Trays
The university agrees to provide three different meal plan options for residents on room and board contracts, depending on the type of contract a student signs. The university is not required to make allowances for meals missed during the semester. Sick trays are available to residents who cannot go to the dining center because of illness. Sick tray forms are available in the University Housing Office, online and from your RA or residence director.

Residents are required to present their university identification card each time they enter the cafeteria. Residents may be subject to disciplinary action as well as assessed a service charge if they fail to present identification; throw food; remove food, beverages, dishes, silverware or other food service equipment from the dining room; leave trays on tables; or cut in line.

Laundry machines are available for resident use only. Money or tokens are not needed to operate the machines. Mechanical difficulties with washers and dryers should be reported to University Maintenance using the My Housing portal or to the maintenance trouble line at (248) 370-2954. Never leave your belongings and/or clothes unattended in the laundry room.
Mail Services
Mail service to the residence halls, apartments and cottages will be most efficient if incoming correspondence is correctly addressed.

Mail service is not available during weekends, holiday breaks or university closings. Students must pick up their mail from their mailbox using their room key. Desk receptionists will not distribute mail over the counter, nor will they accept CODs.

Packages will be delivered to the Hamlin, Oak View and Vandenberg front desks, and the University Student Apartments office. When picking up your package, please bring a photo ID.

The desk receptionists handle forwarding U.S. mail. To ensure your mail will be forwarded after you check out, you need to fill out a change-of-address card and place it in your checkout envelope. First-class mail will be forwarded for a period of two years. Magazines and newspapers will not be forwarded. To continue to receive these publications, you should change your address with the publisher at least four weeks before moving.
Pest Control
All pest problems should be reported to University Maintenance online via the My Housing portal or the trouble hotline at (248) 370-2954 as soon as detected. The university contracts the services of an exterminator for pest control. Bug bombs are not permitted.
Reception Desks
The Hamlin Reception Desk is located on the fourth floor of Hamlin Hall in the main lobby area. The phone number for Hamlin Desk is (248) 370-2953. The Hamlin Desk is open during fall, winter and summer semesters.

The Vandenberg Reception Desk is located on the first floor of Vandenberg Hall between the two towers. The phone number for Vandenberg Desk is (248) 370-2886. The Vandenberg Desk is open during fall and winter semesters.

The Oak View Reception Desk is located inside the main entrance of the building, near the main lounge. The phone number for Oak View Desk is (248) 370-4491. The Oak View Desk is open during fall, winter and summer semesters.

The University Student Apartments desk is located in building 4000 of the Ann V. Nicholson Apartments. The phone number is (248) 370-2581. The Apartment Desk is open during fall, winter and summer semesters.

Hours of operation for all desks are: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – midnight; and Saturday – Sunday, 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Resident Computer Lab
The computer lab in Hamlin Hall is for use by students who live on campus only. The computers in the lab are designed to erase all new data and changes upon rebooting. Therefore, saving to the computer is not advised. Housing is not responsible for any lost student data.

Printing is provided by the campus WEPA system. Kiosks are located in the Hamlin computer lab, Oak View lobby and East Vandenberg near the main entrance to the dining center.

In addition to the Hamlin Hall Computer Lab, there are three public computers available for student use in Building 4000 in the Ann V. Nicholson apartment complex and in the main lobby of Oak View Hall. These work stations are available according to the hours of the building in which they reside. If you have problems with any technology in Building 4000 or the Oak View Hall lobby, please contact the University Housing Technology Help Desk.
Technology Help Desk

The University Housing Technology Help Desk is a service offered by University Housing to all students living on campus. The Help Desk exists to assist students with any technological problems that they might encounter while using the university’s network or their own personal computing devices.

The Help Desk provides the following services:

  • Assistance with connecting personal computers, gaming devices, smartphones, e-readers and other network-enabled devices to both the wired and wireless networks in the residence halls and student apartments
  • Attempted removal of viruses and malware from student computers
  • Assistance with syncing Oakland University email to smartphones or iPods
  • Advice on technology purchases
  • Technical support for the Hamlin Hall Computer Lab
  • Minor hardware installations and repairs
  • Desktop support for Department of Housing auxiliary offices
Contact Information: Hamlin Hall, Room 423, (248) 370-2534 or
Most residence halls have vending machine areas. Continuation of vending machine services is wholly dependent upon nonabusive treatment of the machines. Money lost in vending machines may be claimed at the Student Affairs Office or the Hamlin, Oak View or Vandenberg desks.
Wired Network

In some residence halls and in the student apartments, University Housing provides wired network ports for student use. Students will need a wired network adapter for whatever device they wish to connect to the wired port, as well as a Cat5e network cable. The wired ports are the fastest and most reliable form of connectivity; as such, it is recommended that students who have access to wired ports take advantage of them as often as possible.

University Housing provides wired network ports in the following areas:

  • Hamlin Hall
  • Vandenberg Hall
  • Ann V. Nicholson Apartments*
  • George T. Matthews Apartments
  • Oak View Hall
  • Hill House
  • Van Wagoner House
*The student apartments offer wired ports in both the bedrooms and the living room.
Wireless Network

All of the residence halls and student apartments have access to the University Housing wireless network. In Fitzgerald House, the wireless system is the only way students can access the network. All of our Aruba wireless access points are 802.11ac capable and broadcast in both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies.

The network name (SSID) for all of the University Housing Wireless Network is: grizzlies.

If you are living in a room that contains wireless network equipment (i.e., a wireless access point) please be advised you are prohibited from tampering with the device in any way. Students who are found to be tampering with wireless equipment will be held responsible for any damage to the unit, and will face disciplinary action.

Wireless streaming from “device to device” for most multimedia services (such as Chromecast and Apple AirPlay) is unavailable over the wireless network. If you are unsure whether your device will stream on the wireless network, please contact the Housing Network Help Desk for more information.

1 and 2 mbps data rates are disabled on the University Housing wireless network to promote faster network speeds for all users. Any devices that require these data rates to connect to a wireless network will be unable to do so. This includes the Nintendo Wii; however, there are several inexpensive adapters for the Wii system that will allow the Wii to connect to the networks wired ports, where available.

Students may not change the existing Internet service package by purchasing and installing any of Comcast’s broadband Internet services in their rooms, as it violates Oakland University’s network usage policies. Violation of this policy will result in judicial action.

If at any time you are experiencing trouble with your network connection in the residence halls or student apartments, please contact the Housing Technology Help Desk. The Help Desk is located in Hamlin Hall, Room 445 and can be reached at (248) 370-2534 or