University Housing

Hamlin Hall, Room 448
550 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4452
(location map)
(248) 370-3570
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.


Failure to abide by University Housing procedures may result in disciplinary action and students alleged of procedure violation(s) will be referred through the University Housing Conduct Process. For more information, please refer to the University Housing Conduct System section.

Break Closing (Residence Halls)
Thanksgiving Recess (November), Semester Recess (December), Winter Recess (February)
1. Vacate the room prior to 6 p.m. on the designated closing date.
2. In Hamlin, Hill, Vandenberg and Van Wagoner, unplug all electrical appliances (excluding refrigerators). In Hillcrest and Oak View, unplug all electrical appliances (excluding refrigerators and microwaves).
3. Remove all garbage from the room.
4. On all floors except floor one, leave window blinds open. On floor one, close window blinds.
5. Special permission must be obtained for aquariums to remain plugged in over break. Please submit a request to your residence director no later than one week prior to closing.
Contract Release Procedure (Contract Termination)
Students requesting termination of their University Housing contract must complete and submit a Contract Release Form. Contract Release Forms are available in the University Housing Office, 448 Hamlin, in the University Student Apartments office, 4000 Ann V. Nicholson, and online at If a student moves out of University Housing without completing a contract release, charges will continue until the contract release has been processed or the contract expires. Room and board charges do not officially stop until your keys, sealed in a checkout envelope signed and dated by you, has been turned in to the Housing Office, 448 Hamlin Hall, or the University Student Apartments Office, 4000 Ann V. Nicholson. You must follow the proper checkout procedures for contract releases. This signifies termination of your University Housing contract.
Emergency Closings
The university reserves the right to close any or all University Housing buildings and to discontinue food service for the duration of any bona fide emergency caused by weather, power failures, strikes, riots, fires, disasters or other conditions beyond the control of the university that make it temporarily impossible or imprudent to maintain University Housing facilities or food service.

The university shall be under no obligation to abate fees or charges or to pay any damages (of any nature) as a result of any emergency closing for a period of one week or less.
Exception to Stay Requests
All residents of the residence halls are required to leave the residence halls during holiday recesses and semester/session breaks by the last day of final exams. Holiday recesses and semester/session breaks are not included in room and board fees. Residents of the apartments and cottages are permitted to stay over breaks (except summer break) at no additional cost.

Housing will be provided for individuals who demonstrate an exceptional need to stay late, overnight or during an entire holiday recess or semester/session break after the halls close. Exceptional need is based on the traveling distance from your home or permanent place of residence to the residence halls. An exception may be granted depending on whether you live out of town (beyond the Southeast Michigan area), out of state, out of country, and/or are employed on or near campus. In case of employment, you must submit a letter from your employer verifying employment and your schedule during the recess or break.  Exceptions may also be made in instances where students do not have another home outside of the university. Requests to stay late will not be approved after the deadline. Exceptions to stay may be submitted via Google Form. Links to the appropriate form will be provided in the closing instructions that are disseminated to residents via email prior to each closed session.

Guests are not permitted during any holiday recess or semester/session break. Propping open entrance doors and other actions that allow other students or strangers to gain access to any University Housing facility are not permitted. If this policy is violated, you will be asked to leave, and disciplinary action will result. In the event that a “holiday” key is issued, failure to return the “holiday” key by the first business day after the halls re-open will result in a $25 charge.
Personal Safety
Students are strongly encouraged to exercise sound judgment when making decisions regarding their personal safety. Students are not encouraged to travel alone on campus after dark and should park their cars in well-lighted and well-traveled areas. It is always good practice for residents to tell their roommates/suitemates when they are going out and when they will be back. Do not let strangers or suspicious characters into any University Housing building or leave doors propped open.

If you are concerned about your safety, the safety of others or your property, or if you need any other kind of police assistance, you can contact the OUPD. They are a certified police department and available 24 hours a day. For emergencies, call 911; for non-emergencies, call (248) 370-3331; for the hearing impaired, call (248) 370-3337 (TDD).
Psychological or Medical Emergencies
Residents who try to physically harm themselves with the intent to complete suicide, or verbalize their intent to complete suicide, or display irrational, uncontrollable or destructive behavior that is a threat to self and/or the welfare of others, may see immediate action from University Housing. They will not be allowed to return to University Housing until they provide proof of discharge from a medical professional. Once cleared by a medical professional, the resident will be required to meet with the Dean of Students and complete a psychological evaluation by the OU Counseling Center. Together, the Dean of Students and director of the OU Counseling Center will decide whether, and under which conditions, the student is stable enough to return to University Housing.

In case of medical emergencies, Oakland University Police Department will be contacted to determine how seriously ill or injured the student is and will call EMS for medical assistance. University employees, including University Housing staff, are not permitted to transport residents to hospitals, doctor’s offices or clinics for medical assistance. Medical assistance can be obtained on campus at Graham Health Center Monday through Friday. Call (248) 370-2341 for clinic hours or for an appointment. When Graham Health Center is closed, after-hours medical and emergency care can be obtained at Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital, (248) 338-5000; St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, (248) 858-3000; or Crittenton Hospital, (248) 652-5000. The Dean of Students Office can be reached at (248) 370-3352.

Any questions or concerns about the procedures used in handling psychological and medical emergencies can be answered or addressed by the assistant director of residence life in the University Housing Office, Hamlin Hall, Room 448, (248) 370-3570.
Room Change Procedure
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, room change periods will be suspended for the fall 2020-winter 2021 academic year. All room, roommate and building assignments are therefore considered final. Room changes and reassignments will only be authorized on a case-by-case, emergency basis at the discretion of the Director of University Housing, Assistant Director for Assignments, or Assistant Director for Residence Life.
Room Consolidation
Room consolidation refers to a partially vacated room where a student is the sole occupant in a double room and does not have a guaranteed single. Between the third and 12th week of class, any student who becomes the sole occupant of a room will receive a written notice from the Housing Office indicating the student must do one of the following:
  • Find a new roommate. The Housing Office will provide a list of students looking for roommates.
  • Be reassigned a new room or roommate.

Students who do not respond to the written notification will, at the discretion of the Housing Office, either be:

  • Reassigned a different room on the floor which they live, or
  • Be assigned a new roommate.
Preference for being reassigned a different room or roommate will be given to the student with the higher academic class standing as determined by the Office of the Registrar. Students who fail to cooperate with the room consolidation procedure may receive judicial documentation. University Housing retains the right to move students or terminate contracts of students who violate the terms of their contract agreement.
Sexual Misconduct
Students are expected to familiarize themselves with, and adhere to, Oakland University’s policy on sexual misconduct.
Single Rooms
All residence hall rooms are intended to have a minimum of two occupants. When less than full occupancy exists, students may be assigned a double room by themselves if their name is on the single room waiting list. In that circumstance, and at the discretion of the Housing Office, the room assignment may be designated as a single and the occupant will be charged a premium as established by the Board of Trustees. Single assignments will not be made in rooms designed to accommodate three students. Students wishing to retain their guaranteed single must sign an Accommodation Rider to Contract for University Housing Services form for a single-room accommodation.

Single rooms, when available, are located in the Small Halls: Hill, Van Wagoner and Fitzgerald. These will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis from the single-room waiting list for upper-class students only. Upperclassman students who submit a valid residence hall contract may request to be placed on the single room waiting list.

An exception to this policy will be granted for students with certified medical problems who require a single accommodation (i.e., extreme allergies, mobility or visual impairment). These individuals may request that the director of University Housing place them on a separate priority list.

This list supersedes the regular single room waiting list. To whatever extent possible, assignments for physical limitations or impairments are on a first-come, first-served basis. Students requesting special accommodations must provide medical documentation with their request. However, in consultation with the university physician, the director may grant higher priority based on need for accommodation. Further, certified impairments take precedence over relieving over-assignments. Students with special accommodations are encouraged to register with the Office of Disability Support Services. Lastly, if it is necessary to create a single room accommodation for impaired individuals, the director will abridge the consolidation procedure to include requiring individuals in half vacancies to move from one floor or building to another.
Student Records
Any student resident who wishes to review his/her personal records may request a review in person to the Assistant Director for Assignments and Summer Conferences. These records must be reviewed in the University Housing Office. Students may obtain copies at their own expense.
Summer Sessions
Students who will be enrolled in classes during summer sessions and have submitted a summer housing contract will not have to move their belongings out of their old rooms until they check into their new rooms. Before the end of winter semester and the start of summer semester, and between summer to fall semesters, students will receive detailed information regarding their new room assignments and the proper check-in procedures for summer sessions. All residence hall policies and procedures listed in this handbook are enforced during summer sessions.
Tornado Warnings
The Oakland University Police Department and/or University Housing staff will notify residents when there is a tornado warning. Tornado sirens also will be heard around campus. A warning means a tornado actually has been sighted, and you are to take cover immediately. Staff will direct you to the safest place in your building (usually the first floor or basement, away from any windows), or you should follow the instructions posted on each floor. Everyone should take shelter until an all-clear is issued by the Oakland University Police Department.

If you are caught outside during a warning and do not have time to reach a building, seek shelter in a low area or ditch. Lie face down and cover your face with your forearm to protect against flying debris.
University Housing Contract
The contract between the student (resident) and the Department of University Housing (university) is for residence hall or apartment occupancy by the student. It begins on the date specified in the assignment letter and terminates at the end of the academic year, or in the case of summer contracts, the end of the summer semester. Signing the contract will immediately constitute legal obligations on both parties (the resident and the university). Both parties are required to live up to the terms and conditions of the contract unless the resident terminates his/her contract or the expiration date of the contract has passed.
Vacating Rooms
At the end of each semester, residents are expected to vacate their rooms within 24 hours after their last final exam or by the designated time on the last day of final exams, whichever comes first. Residents with late examinations or special problems that prevent them from leaving on time should make arrangements in advance. Last minute requests may not be honored. Residents may leave their belongings in their room between fall and winter semesters if they are returning to the same room. Residents must move all their belongings out of their assigned room at the end of fall semester if they are not returning for winter semester. Residents must move all their belongings out of their assigned rooms at the end of winter semester if they are not returning for the summer session. Storage for personal belongings is not available on campus.

Students who experience a change of status resulting in lack of eligibility compliance must vacate their assigned residence halls rooms or apartments as directed by the Department of University Housing.