Expand the section navigation mobile menu


Failure to abide by University Housing procedures may result in disciplinary action and students alleged of procedure violation(s) may be referred through the University Housing Conduct System. For more information, please refer to the University Housing Conduct System section of the handbook.

Break Closing (Residence Halls)

Thanksgiving Recess (November), Semester Recess (December), Winter Recess (February)
All residential students are welcome to stay in their assigned on-campus housing or leave as desired during the Thanksgiving Recess and Winter Recess periods.

During the Semester Recess, and during any other recess period during which they choose to leave campus, residence halls students are required to follow the guidelines shown below. Apartments residents are welcome to stay in their assigned on-campus housing or leave as desired during the Semester Recess period.

Please note that food service is not available during recess periods.

1. Vacate the room prior to 6 p.m. on the designated closing date.
2. In Hamlin and Vandenberg Halls, unplug all electrical appliances (excluding refrigerators). In Hillcrest and Oak View Halls, unplug all electrical appliances (excluding refrigerators and microwaves).
3. Remove all garbage from the room.
4. On all floors except floor one, leave window blinds open. On floor one, close window blinds.
5. Special permission must be obtained for aquariums to remain plugged in over break. Please submit a request to your residence director no later than one week prior to closing.

Contract Release Procedure (Contract Termination)

Students requesting termination of their University Housing contract must complete and submit a Contract Release Form.

Instructions on how to submit an online contract release can be found on our website. If a student moves out of University Housing without completing a contract release, charges will continue until the contract release has been processed or the contract expires. Room and board charges do not officially stop until your key, sealed in a checkout envelope signed and dated by you, has been turned in to the Housing Office, 448 Hamlin Hall, or the University Student Apartments Office, 4000 Ann V. Nicholson. This signifies termination of your University Housing contract.

Emergency Closings

The University reserves the right to close any or all University Housing buildings and to discontinue food service for the duration of any bona fide emergency caused by weather, power failures, strikes, riots, fires, disasters, public health emergencies, or other conditions beyond the control of the university that make it temporarily impossible or imprudent to maintain University Housing facilities or food service.

The university shall be under no obligation to abate fees or charges or to pay any damages (of any nature) as a result of any emergency closing for a period of one week or less.

Exception to Stay Requests

All residents of the residence halls are required to leave the residence halls during holiday recesses and semester/session breaks by the last day of final exams. Holiday recesses and semester/session breaks are not included in room and board fees. Residents of the apartments and cottages are permitted to stay over breaks (except summer break) at no additional cost.

Housing will be provided for individuals who demonstrate an exceptional need to stay late, overnight or during an entire holiday recess or semester/session break after the halls close. Exceptional need is based on the traveling distance from your home or permanent place of residence to the residence halls. An exception may be granted depending on whether you live out of town (beyond the Southeast Michigan area), out of state, out of country, and/or are employed on or near campus. In case of employment, you must submit a letter from your employer verifying employment and your schedule during the recess or break.  Exceptions may also be made in instances where students do not have another home outside of the university. Requests to stay late will not be approved after the deadline. Exceptions to stay may be submitted via Google Form. Links to the appropriate form will be provided in the closing instructions that are disseminated to residents via email prior to each closed session.

Guests are not permitted during any holiday recess or semester/session break. Propping open entrance doors and other actions that allow other students or strangers to gain access to any University Housing facility are not permitted. If this policy is violated, you will be asked to leave, and disciplinary action will result. In the event that a “holiday” key is issued, failure to return the “holiday” key by the first business day after the halls re-open will result in a $25 charge.

Personal Safety

Students are strongly encouraged to exercise sound judgment when making decisions regarding their personal safety. Students are not encouraged to travel alone on campus after dark and should park their cars in well-lighted and well-traveled areas. It is always good practice for residents to tell their roommates/suitemates when they are going out and when they will be back. Do not let strangers or suspicious characters into any University Housing building or leave doors propped open.

If you are concerned about your safety, the safety of others or your property, or if you need any other kind of police assistance, you can contact the Oakland University Police Department. They are a certified police department and available 24 hours a day. For emergencies, call 911; for non-emergencies, call (248) 370-3331; for the hearing impaired, call (248) 370-3337 (TDD).

Psychological or Medical Emergencies

Residents who try to physically harm themselves with the intent to complete suicide, or verbalize their intent to complete suicide, or display irrational, uncontrollable or destructive behavior that is a threat to self and/or the welfare of others, will see immediate action from University Housing. Follow-up with the Oakland University Assessment and Care Team will determine the best course of action for the resident. 

In cases of medical emergencies, Oakland University Police Department will be contacted to determine how seriously ill or injured the student is and will call EMS for medical assistance. University employees, including University Housing staff, are not permitted to transport residents to hospitals, doctor’s offices or clinics for medical assistance. Medical assistance can be obtained on campus at Graham Health Center Monday through Friday. Call (248) 370-2341 for clinic hours or for an appointment. When Graham Health Center is closed, after-hours medical and emergency care can be obtained at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, (248) 858-3000; or Ascension Providence Hospital, (248) 652-5000. The Dean of Students Office can be reached at (248) 370-3352.

Any questions or concerns about the procedures used in the handling of psychological and medical emergencies can be answered or addressed by the assistant directors of residence life in the University Housing Office, Hamlin Hall, Room 448, (248) 370-3570.

Room Reassignment Procedure

Three room reassignment periods will be offered throughout the academic year to allow students the opportunity to choose a new room or apartment location, as space permits. Instructions on how to participate in room reassignment will be provided via email approximately one week prior to the start of the period. The dates of scheduled room reassignment periods are available on our website.

Room Consolidation

Room consolidation refers to filling a partially vacated room where a student is the sole occupant in a double room and does not have a guaranteed single as a result of an approved accommodation through Disability Support Services.It also refers to combining partially filled buildings into a centralized location. University  Housing reserves the right to consolidate rooms and buildings as needed, at any time. Notification of consolidation will be provided to impacted residents via email.

Students who fail to cooperate with the room consolidation procedure may receive judicial documentation. University Housing retains the right to move students or terminate contracts of students who violate the terms of their contract agreement.

Sexual Misconduct

Students are expected to familiarize themselves with, and adhere to, Oakland University’s policy on sexual misconduct. If you have questions or concerns about incidents of possible sexual misconduct, please contact Assistant Director for Residence Life -- Community Standards and Student Care Brittney Mitchell by emailing [email protected].

Single Rooms

All residence hall rooms are intended to have a minimum of two occupants. When less than full occupancy exists, students may be assigned a double room by themselves if they have received approval for single room occupation through the Office of Disability Support Services. Single assignments will not be made in rooms designed to accommodate three students. Single rooms will be assigned at the discretion of University Housing, as space permits.

Student Records

Any student resident who wishes to review their personal records may request a review in person in the Housing Office in 448 Hamlin Hall. These records must be reviewed in the University Housing Office.

Tornado Warnings

The Oakland University Police Department and/or University Housing staff will notify residents when there is a tornado warning. Tornado sirens also will be heard around campus. A warning means a tornado actually has been sighted, and you are to take cover immediately. Staff will direct you to the safest place in your building (usually the first floor or basement, away from any windows), or you should follow the instructions posted on each floor. Everyone should take shelter until an all-clear is issued by the Oakland University Police Department.

If you are caught outside during a warning and do not have time to reach a building, seek shelter in a low area or ditch. Lie face down and cover your face with your forearm to protect against flying debris.

University Housing Contract

The contract between the student (resident) and the Department of University Housing (university) is for residence hall, apartment or cottage occupancy by the student. It begins on the date specified in the contract and terminates at the end of the academic year, or in the case of summer contracts, the end of the summer semester. Signing the contract will immediately constitute legal obligations on both parties (the resident and the university). Both parties are required to live up to the terms and conditions of the contract unless the resident terminates their contract or the expiration date of the contract has passed.  The terms and conditions of the housing contract are available on our website.

Vacating Rooms

At the end of each semester, residents are expected to vacate their rooms by the designated time. Residents with late examinations or special circumstances that prevent them from leaving on time should make arrangements in advance. Last-minute requests may not be honored. Residents may leave their belongings in their room between fall and winter semesters if they are returning to the same room. Residents must move all their belongings out of their assigned room at the end of fall semester if they are not returning for winter semester. Residents must move all their belongings out of their assigned rooms at the end of winter semester if they are not returning for the summer session. Storage for personal belongings is not available on campus.

Students who experience a change of status resulting in lack of eligibility compliance must vacate their assigned residence halls rooms or apartments as directed by the Department of University Housing.

University Housing

Hamlin Hall, Room 448
550 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4452
(location map)
(248) 370-3570

Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.