Expand the section navigation mobile menu
Student Housing - Housing Handbook Main Page Banner

Housing Handbook

You can now enjoy the privileges, rights and responsibilities shared by everyone in our living and learning community. Many opportunities and challenges are available to you that will enhance your academic, personal and social development. The extent to which you choose to participate in our community with your peers will determine how meaningful and positive the experience is for you.

The University Housing staff invites you to share in the development of our community. Our staff and programs are dedicated to creating a balanced environment in which the learning process, interpersonal communication and the understanding of cultural and lifestyle differences are valued and encouraged.

We are committed to making this year exciting, productive, stimulating and memorable for you. The housing staff and administration look forward to assisting and supporting you this academic year.

It is your responsibility to read this handbook and understand the policies and procedures it contains. The information in this handbook reflects the University Housing Community Standards of Behavior, which you are required to uphold.

Oakland University Housing vision
University Housing will be recognized as an integral part of the university, in which academics and residential living work together to cultivate learning, personal well-being and social experiences that enhance student life on campus.

Oakland University Housing mission
The mission of University Housing is to provide a safe living and learning experience that promotes a sense of community, civic responsibility and an appreciation for individual differences.

Oakland University Housing core values
In order to cultivate learning, personal well-being and social experiences, University Housing subscribes to the following core values: academic achievement; ethical conduct; civility/citizenship; financial responsibility; personal wellness; and multicultural understanding.

To be eligible to reside in University Housing, students must be:

  • formally admitted to the University as matriculated or conditionally admitted students in a degree-seeking program at the University and enrolled in a minimum of one (1) credit hour during each fall, winter, or summer semester in which they reside in University Housing;
  • matriculated students in a degree-seeking program at another college or university that has an affiliation or exchange agreement with the University and who are attending the University as part of a program covered by one of the affiliation or exchange agreements;
  • or, participating in the University’s authorized summer camp or Semester Abroad programs. 

In addition, students who have been admitted to the University’s English as a Second Language Institute (“ESL Institute”) are eligible to reside in University Housing if they:

  • have either applied to a degree-seeking program at the University or have indicated on their ESL Institute application that they intend to pursue a degree at the University;
  • are required to complete coursework in the University’s ESL Institute in order to meet the University’s English language proficiency admissions requirements;
  • have been issued an I-20 or DS-2019 from the University for their ESL Institute studies;
  • are enrolled full-time in ESL Institute courses; and (v) are making satisfactory academic progress in their ESL Institute program as determined by the University.

ESL Institute students may be registered less than full-time if they are either participating in the University's American Semester Abroad Program or are in the final semester of their ESL Institute coursework and are enrolled in at least the minimum number of courses/credits to fully complete their ESL Institute program in that semester.

Students enrolled in continuing education classes or other non-degree programs are not formally admitted to the University and are therefore not eligible to reside in University Housing.

Students must also complete at least 16 credit hours in good standing and be a non-first-year resident to reside in the Apartments.

Students who experience a change of status resulting in lack of eligibility compliance must vacate their assigned residence halls rooms or apartments as directed by the Department of University Housing.

Residents must be registered for at least one course credit in any given semester, during the duration of the University Housing contract. A student’s university account must be current before an assignment is made. After an assignment has been made, the resident’s account must remain current.

The apartments and residence halls each have a residence director (RD), a graduate residence director (GRD), and resident assistants (RAs). Additional undergraduate staff members in the University Housing community include Residential Peer Tutors (RPTs), Nightwatch Attendants (NW), Service Desk Attendants (DAs), Student Office Assistants (SOAs), Helpdesk Technicians, Maintenance Assistants (MAs).

The residence director (RD) is a full-time professional staff member who is responsible for the daily operations of the building(s) under their jurisdiction and overall supervision of the community's staff.

The graduate residence director (GRD) is a graduate student who is responsible for creating and maintaining a community environment that allows residents to develop a successful academic environment, a sense of self responsibility for their behaviors, leadership and social skills, and maturity.

Resident assistants (RAs) live with residents on every floor of every residence hall building. RAs also live in each building of the Ann V. Nicholson apartments. In the George T. Matthews apartments, there are two resident assistants. RAs are student leaders who provide an appropriate atmosphere for successful academic achievement and interpersonal relationships.

Residential Peer Tutors (RPTs) support the academic endeavor of all residents by hosting tutor nights, planning academically focused programs and serving as a general academic support and resource.

Nightwatch (NW) staff members serve our residence hall communities by staffing a security check-in desk during designated overnight hours. For the convenience of residents, Nightwatch staff also answer questions and serve as a community resource at the Nightwatch desk.

Service desk attendants staff the Hamlin, Hillcrest, Student Apartments, Van Wagoner, and Vandenberg Service Desks and serve our community by providing various services, including mail distribution and answering general questions of residents.

Student office assistants (SOAs) staff the front desk in the University Housing office in Hamlin Hall, and serve our community by providing various services, including scheduling appointments, answering phones and email, and providing general information to visitors.

Helpdesk technicians provide services at the University Housing Technology Helpdesk and can assist residents with their technology and connectivity needs.

Maintenance assistants (MAs) serve our community by providing after-hours maintenance assistance.

All housing staff members enforce the policies and procedures covered in this handbook, and ensure that community standards of behavior are maintained and individual rights and responsibilities are enjoyed.

The Residence Life Association (RLA) is the governing body for all student residents. RLA offers residents the opportunity to influence residential programs, policies and procedures. Through the association, students have access to all facets of residential life.

RLA voting members include community representatives and the RLA executive board. The RLA meets weekly to make decisions and receive executive board reports. RLA meetings are open to any interested student. Meetings are held each Monday at 8 p.m. In-person meetings are held in various locations across the University Housing communities. Meetings may also be held virtually, as needed, in the interest of public health and safety.

In addition to RLA, each community has its own Community Council that plans social and educational activities for the community and addresses complex concerns. Membership is open to any interested student.

Residence Life student government is funded by on-campus residents. The amount of $10 per semester is included in the total room cost; from this total amount, $7 per semester is allotted to the Residence Life Association; $2 to the student’s Community Council; and $1 to the student’s floor (for residence halls) or building (for apartments).

Residents do not have to be elected officials to attend Residence Life Association or Community Council meetings and activities. Residents who participate in student government gain valuable leadership skills while promoting the community concept within residence life.

University Housing policies and procedures are reviewed yearly. They are consistent with Oakland University policies and procedures, and may be subject to review by the university administration and/or Board of Trustees. An individual resident or group of residents may present their concerns about University Housing policies and procedures to the University Housing Office, or submit them to the association in writing. The administration will review all concerns and notify the resident or group of its decision at the earliest possible date.

The Residence Life Association can be reached at [email protected].

University Housing Office - Hamlin Hall
Hamlin Hall, Room 448
550 Meadow Brook Road
(248) 370-3570
[email protected]

University Housing Office - Hillcrest Hall
Hillcrest Hall, Room 304
273 Grizzly Lane
(248) 370-3941
[email protected]

Maintenance 24-Hour Trouble Line
(248) 370-2954

University Housing Technology Helpdesk
550 Meadow Brook Road
Hamlin Hall, Room 423
(248) 370-2534
[email protected]

University Housing Academic Support Office - Hillcrest Hall
273 Grizzly Lane
Hillcrest Hall, Room 423
(248) 370-3941
[email protected]

Complex Contact Information
Hamlin Hall: (248) 370-2953
Hillcrest Hall: (248) 370-3984
Oak View Hall: (248) 370-4491
University Student Apartments: (248) 370-2581
Vandenberg Hall: (248) 370-2286

Contacting Residence Life Staff
There is a Residence Director on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is a Graduate Residence Director on duty from 5 p.m. until 8 a.m. daily. Resident Assistants are also on duty in each community from 7 p.m. until 8 a.m., Monday through Friday. On weekends, there is an RA on duty 24 hours a day. On-duty Residence Life staff members are available to assist students when they are locked out of their rooms, have maintenance problems, or experience personal difficulties during the evening when the University Housing Office is closed. A list of on-duty staff members is posted in the main lobby of every residence hall.

Duty Phone Numbers
These numbers are to be called ONLY by residents of University Housing during “after hours” periods (7 p.m. until 7 a.m., Monday through Friday, and all day and night on Saturday and Sunday).

Hamlin Hall
North: (248) 866-2243
South: (248) 343-0061

Hillcrest Hall
(248) 894-3203
(248) 894-9897

Oak View Hall
(248) 259-1345
(248) 506-6760

Vandenberg Hall
East: (248) 343-0226
West: (248) 670-2221

University Student Apartments
(248) 343-0419
(248) 343-0499

University Housing

Hamlin Hall, Room 448
550 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4452
(location map)
(248) 370-3570

Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.