Expand the section navigation mobile menu

ESL Institute/Office of Global Engagement

O'Dowd Hall, Room 326
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester , MI 48309-4482
(location map)
Phone: (248) 364-8803
Fax: (248) 370-3587

How to Apply

International Students (F-1 Student Visa)

If you are an international student who needs an F-1 student visa, use the button below to apply online. This includes new international students and students who are transferring from another university in the United States.


You will need the following documentation in order to apply online:

  • Passport
  • Official bank statement
  • Affidavit of Support (if you have a sponsor other than yourself)

If you will bring dependents (a spouse and/or children) with you to the United States, you will also need:

  • Passports for each dependent

If you are transferring from another institution in the United States, you will also need the following documents:

  • SEVIS I-20 form
  • Visa/I-94

Students who do not need an F-1 Visa

Applicants who do not need an F-1 visa may apply using a paper form. To request the form, please email Kathleen Gnau, gnau@oakland.edu. This includes U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents (Green Card holders), and B-2 and other Visa's. You will need:

  • Completed application form (1 page only)
  • Copy of your passport and visa, I-94, or other documents related to your visa status
Email your completed and signed application, along with your passport and visa or citizenship documentation, to:

Kathleen Gnau
ESL Program Coordinator
ESL Institute
Office of Global Engagement
O'Dowd Hall Room 326
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309

For questions, you may call (248) 364-8803 or email esl@oakland.edu.