"Jump Start" your leadership involvement at OU! Jump Start is a free one-day leadership program for first year students (transfer, freshmen, and new graduate students) to get connected with
Oakland University programs and resources.
First Year Student Jump Start, August 30, 2014: Register
Transfer Student Jump Start, September 2, 2014: Register
Graduate Student Jump Start, September 4, 2014: Register
Reasons to attend "Jump Start"
Free lunch and snacks included!
- Write a short essay at Jump Start and be entered to win 1 of 3 book scholarships!
- Meet and greet other first year students - potential new friends and study buddies.
- Come learn and laugh with our dynamic keynote speaker!
- Our faculty panel will teach you the expectations for college coursework and the resources to utilize.
- Meet your Jump Start Leader who will lead you in icebreakers and help make Oakland a second home to you.
- You have the option of joining Leadership Academy after your
completion of Jump Start. This program partners you with an
upperclassman mentor that will teach you about involvement
opportunities including GrizzOrgs, career skills (how to make a LinkedIn profile
that employers desire), and you will complete an academic leadership
skills program. Leadership Academy is an interactive program that will
help you gain resources, network with OU staff in order to gain
references, gain leadership skills, and career skills for getting a job
after college or during college.
- Learn about GrizzOrgs, resources on campus, and student organizations.
- Open to all first year students.
- Residence hall students can move into their rooms one day earlier on Friday, August 29.
- Spend a day with OU student leaders, faculty, staff, and alumni exploring beneficial ways to get involved on campus.
- Optional Tour for students who have specific questions about campus.
For more information about "Jump Start" contact The Center for
Student Activities and Leadership Development at 49 Oakland Center, (248) 370-2400, csa@Oakland.edu
2013 - 2014 Leadership Consultants
Leadership & Volunteer Center
Center for Student Activities (CSA)
Need a great presentation for your student organization’s meeting? Pick from a variety of topics: conflict resolution, communication skills, or developing an e-portfolio and schedule a leadership consultant to come visit your student organization.
Leadership Consultants (LC) gain leadership experience by serving as facilitators, mentors, teachers, and organizational consultants for leadership and service opportunities. Leadership consultants are soft skill developers and can help your student organization increase their soft skill competency, which employers highly desire!
- Consultants act as ambassadors for the CSA office by facilitating and assisting in various programs hosted by the Leadership and Volunteer Center.
- Serve students by involvement consultations. A student who doesn’t know what to get involved in can meet with an LC and discern what to get involved in based off of their passions and career choice. Make an appointment by emailing Emily at email@example.com.
- Consultants present tailored workshops on a variety of topics to students. These workshops may deal with issues such as creating a leadership philosophy, making a website, creating an e-portfolio, understanding the importance of service-learning, team building activities, and communication skills.
Explore the leader in you and build your resume by attending this six part training series.
- Communication Skills: Conflict Resolution - Wednesday, September 18, 5-6 p.m., Heritage Room ( 2nd Floor of Oakland Center)
- How to "Jazz Up" Your Student Organization Meetings - Wednesday, October 23, 12-1 p.m., Heritage Room
- Leadership & Counseling - Tuesday, November 12, 12-1 p.m., Lake Huron
- How a Leader's Resume Looks - Wednesday, January 22, 12-1 p.m., Heritage Room
- Leadership & Diversity - Tuesday, February 18, 5-6 p.m., Heritage Room
- Professional Women's Panel: Successful Steps After College - Tuesday, March 18, 5-6 p.m., Heritage Room
Presidential Scholars: Four of these trainings count as your Leadership Opportunity.
Participants who attend all events will receive a leadership certification of completion. The student organization that has the most members at Leadership Exploration Series throughout the entire year, wins $100 in their flex account.