On October 25th 2014, millions of volunteers across the nation will unite for a common mission--to improve the lives of others! Join us for Make a Difference Day on October 25th, 2014! This is an awesome volunteer opportunity for yourself, your student organization, honors cell group, or class!
1) Please wear warm clothing! You will learn what site you have been assigned to on October 24th by 5pm through email. However, ALWAYS wear warm clothing and layers to be prepared for any outside work. Bring mittens, a coat, and wear layers!
2) You are not guaranteed your site preference. However, we will really try to get you one of your top three preferences.
3) You can sign up as a group! Just sign up with the same site preferences and you even get a T-shirt!
4) We will give you one water bottle and lunch.
5) You are responsible for transportation to your site and home. We recommend carpooling!
8:00am-8:15am: Volunteer Registration at Oakland University's Fireside Lounge (Do not be late. Your Group leaves at 8:20)
8:20am: Depart from OU
8:30am-9am Depending on your drive, you will arrive between 8:30am-9am at your site and then begin your service project
1:00pm: You have completed Make a Difference Day! Head home! Give yourself a pat on the back for helping our nation! Thank you!
Leadership & Volunteer Center
Center for Student Activities (CSA)
Need a great presentation for your student organization’s meeting? Pick from a variety of topics:
LinkedIn Skills, Leadership & Service Opportunities, Personality Assessments, Career Skills, and Team Building Activities. Based off of your needs, a Leadership Consultant can even create a tailored presentation for your student organization.
Schedule a Leadership Consultant to come speak at your student organization. Please schedule a Leadership Consultant two weeks before the date that you need them.
Leadership Consultants (LC) gain leadership experience by serving as facilitators, mentors, teachers, and organizational consultants for leadership and service opportunities. Leadership consultants are soft skill developers and can help your student organization increase their soft skill competency, which employers highly desire!
- Consultants act as ambassadors for the CSA office by facilitating and assisting in various events programs hosted by the Leadership and Volunteer Center.
- Serve students by involvement consultations. A student who doesn’t know what to get involved in can meet with an LC and discern what to get involved in based off of their passions and career choice. Make an appointment by emailing Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Consultants present tailored workshops on a variety of topics to students. These workshops may deal with issues such as creating a leadership philosophy, making a website, creating an e-portfolio, understanding the importance of service-learning, team building activities, and communication skills.
Explore the leader in you and build your resume by attending this series. Participants who attend all events will receive a leadership certification of completion at the annual Student Activities and Leadership Award Ceremony on April 6, 2015. Alumni speakers will present at various times! Come learn from their experiences.
Presidential Scholars: Four of these trainings count as your Leadership Opportunity.
Participants who attend all events will receive a leadership certification of completion. The student organization that has the most members at Leadership Exploration Series throughout the entire year, wins $100 in their flex account.
Know how to be a leader on LinkedIn by creating a profile that stands out professionally, connects with important contacts and showcases your professional leadership abilities.
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
12 - 1 p.m., Oakland Center Lake Michigan room - Register
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
12-1p.m., Recreation Center Classroom - Register
Learn your top 5 strengths and how to improve them. Learn how to showcase your strengths on your resume and during an interview.
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
12 - 1:30 p.m., Oakland Center Gold Room B
Customer service leadership skills are imperative in most careers. This FISH model will help you stand out amongst other applicants.
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
12 - 1 p.m., Recreation Center Classroom - Register
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
12-1p.m., Lake Michigan Room - Register
Gender Speak - "He said/she said"
Men and women communicate differently. Each facilitate meetings and speak to coworkers and peers differently. Learn how to communicate effectively despite gender differences.
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
12 - 1 p.m., Oakland Center Lake Michigan room
The Epidemic of Bullying in the Workplace
Bullying in the workplace increasingly becoming an issue. Learn how to protect yourself and effectively report bullying.
Tuesday, February 17, 2015
12 - 1 p.m., Oakland Center Lake Michigan room
Life 101 - You Graduated, Now What?
When you land your first job after college, do you know the questions to ask human resources? Learn leadership skills on the following topics from our panel of experts: financial literacy, what are the incentives for staying in-state or leaving Michigan, and more!
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
12 - 1 p.m., Oakland Center Lake Superior B room
The Leadership Academy is a year long program ideal for freshman and new students. It is OU's only leadership peer education program, and its free!
This academy will help you:
- understand leadership theory
- discover your leadership style
- learn how to put leadership and volunteering experiences on a resume and gain a LinkedIn skills endorsement
- gain career skills - Myer-Briggs, STAR interview method, "Strengthsquest"
Leadership Academy will not start until the Winter 2015 Semester. You will receive an email on January 14th about details! You can still apply now, and your confirmation email will be sent out in January.
You will interact with mentors, staff and potential future references. All students will receive an award at the end of the year and a prize at CSA’s leadership banquet.
Take an active role at the university and check out other leadership opportunities such as:
Interested in applying for an internship in service learning and leadership? Learn about event planning, teaching trainings, research in high impact practices, and learn about the non-profit sector. Apply to be a leadership and service intern.