Expand the section navigation mobile menu
Young Woman in Oakland University Veteran speaks to a woman in the Veteran Support Services office

Current Students

Veteran students bring a unique and valued perspective to the classroom. Veterans Support Services is dedicated to serving and supporting all veterans as they navigate the college process.

Each semester you would like to utilize VA benefits, veterans must complete a Request for VA Enrollment Certification form, provided all other information is already on file. Contact [email protected] for this form. Additionally, if you change your major, a new plan of study is required. For more information, see Recertification tab below.

Contact Veteran Certification at [email protected] or (248) 370-4010 to request certification. Veteran Certification forms are available on the forms page.

It is highly recommended to request certification before the following dates in order to ensure timely processing between OU and the VA. Please keep in mind that we are here to assist you throughout the process but you must also take ownership of your benefits.

  • Fall Semester: August 10
  • Winter Semester: December 10
  • Summer Semester: April 10

You will initially be certified by the number of classes you are taking. At the end of the add/drop period, we again certify you with the tuition amount based on your schedule.

  • For Chapter 30, 1606, 1607 and 35, tuition will be paid directly to you.
  • For Chapter 31 and 33, tuition is paid to OU. Please keep in mind if your Chapter 33 benefits are less than 100% you are responsible for the remaining balance. It is encouraged that you consider all of your options, such as a payment plan, FAFSA and OU grants and scholarships.

Remember, you are required to notify Veteran Certification every time you add or drop a class. Failure to do so may result in adjustment to your certification that you may not realize. If you have questions, please let us know and we can discuss this with you before you adjust your schedule.

  • Audited Courses: You cannot be certified or draw benefits for an audited course.
  • Changing Majors: If you are changing your major, you must notify the certifying official in the Office of the Registrar and provide a plan of work for the new major.
  • Changing Schools: If you are transferring either to Oakland University or from Oakland University to another school and are already receiving your benefits, you need to fill out a Change of Program or Place of Training form, (22-1995), (22-5495 for Chapter 35 recipients). This form can be picked up at the Office of the Registrar or the application can be completed online. Submit this form to the school to which you are transferring your benefits.
  • Drop Period (no record): For VA purposes, the drop period is a reasonably brief period of time at the beginning of a term officially designated by the school for dropping courses. The school’s last day to drop a course will be the end of the drop period, providing it does not exceed 30 days from the first day of the term.
  • Dropping a Course: If you drop a course during the semester or term, the VA may consider the drop retroactive to the start of the semester or course provided mitigating circumstances exist. If dropping classes changes your enrollment status, an overpayment situation may occur.
  • Guest Student Certification: If you will be a guest student at another institution, complete the Guest Student application and notify the certifying official in the Office of the Registrar. A parent school letter will be sent to the other institution indicating that the courses you are taking will satisfy the degree requirements at Oakland University.
  • Independent Study: During a regular semester, independent study can be counted toward your enrollment status. It is best to check with the Office of the Registrar as other criteria also may apply.
  • Miscellaneous: Classes with hours by arrangement, internship, etc., may require additional information from your department before OU can complete the certification process. Please submit any documentation regarding special classes to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Plan of Work: The Plan of Work (also called a Plan of Study, Advising Form, or Individual Program Plan) should list all course work you will be required to complete to obtain your intended degree. Any class you wish certified to the VA for receipt of benefits must be either listed on the Plan of Work, or confirmed in writing by your academic adviser that the course will be applicable to your degree program.
  • Repeating a Course: Courses that are failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements for graduation may be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated. Courses that are successfully completed may not be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated.
  • Unsatisfactory Progress: You must maintain satisfactory progress to continue receiving your benefits. The VA will terminate your benefits when probationary status continues past two semesters.
  • “W” Grades: The VA will not credit a course toward your enrollment status if the final grade is a “W". This can lead to an overpayment situation at the end of a semester.

Students who are called to active duty must take care of several academic, financial and record matters prior to their departure from campus. The federal government and OU have numerous procedures to assist you with this transition.

Your Responsibilities

  • Class status – Notify the School Certifying Official of your military orders. Depending on the time of the semester, meet with your professors to discuss mutually agreeable arrangements for the completion of missed assignments or the possibility of an “I” (incomplete) in the courses.  If completion of assignments or an I grade is not possible, request a drop of all courses at 100% tuition refund.
  • Housing contracts – There will be no penalty imposed for terminating the housing contract prior to the end of the term. The refund will be calculated based on the time remaining in the semester or session.
  • Books – The campus bookstore will provide 100% refund on returned books. You must submit a copy of your activation papers.
  • Financial aid and student loans – Please contact the Office of Student Financial Services at (248) 370-2550 or visit North Foundation Hall, Room 120 for more information. Administrative forbearance and deferment benefits are available for active duty call-up, per federal government regulations.


  • A single point of contact has been established at the Veterans Support Services Center, the Veteran Certifying Official.
  • A copy of the Activation Papers is required from the student.
  • The School Certifying Official is responsible for providing the student with pertinent information about potential refunds and academic impact.
  • The School Certifying Official is responsible for ensuring enrollment is adjusted, VA Certification is terminated, and for maintaining a list and count of all activated students.
  • The School Certifying Official is responsible for notifying Student Financial Services of the military students return if eligible for adjusted tuition rate requirement.


  • Upon return, military students should notify the School Certifying Official to work in conjunction with Student Financial Services and their Academic Advising unit. 
  • Individuals who must interrupt their education due to military service orders will be readmitted to the School/College program they were previously pursuing.  
  • Oakland University will honor the tuition rate of the eligible service member’s previously-enrolled semester* upon their return to school following military service orders.  Eligibility is based on the student's DOD education benefit level. The readmission-adjusted tuition rate is effective within the academic year of return. *This tuition-rate policy does not apply to medical school students

Veterans Support Services

Vandenberg Hall, Room 112
502 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4454
(location map)
(248) 370-2010

Office Hours:
M-F: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Veteran Certification

(248) 370-4010
(248) 370-4584 (fax)
[email protected]