How do you apply for a PLM Scholarship?
A PLM Scholarship application is available for download here.
Review of applications for students entering Oakland University during the 2013 fall semester (Sept.) will begin in January 2013. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed until all scholarships are given out (expected to be late May or early June 2013). Currently, scholarships are still available, so you are encouraged to apply.
When will the 32 PLM Scholarships be awarded?
16 PLM Scholarships were awarded to students enrolling in fall 2012 while the remaining 16 will be awarded in early 2013 (March - May) to students who will begin their studies in fall 2013 as follows:
- Fall semester, Sept. 2012: To 8 students enrolling in Industrial and Systems Engineering and 8 students in Mechanical Engineering.
- Fall semester, Sept. 2013: To 8 students enrolling in Industrial and Systems Engineering and 8 students in Mechanical Engineering.
What will the PLM Scholarship recipients receive?
In addition to a four-year scholarship for $4,800 per year, the PLM Scholarship Program will include:
- Each scholarship recipient will be assigned an ISE or ME faculty mentor.
- Each scholarship recipient will be assigned an industrial mentor (an engineer from a local company).
- Scholarship recipients will be organized as a cohort while enrolled at OU. Optional presentations concerning academic and industrial topics of interest as well as industrial field trips will be arranged for the cohorts.
- Optional tutoring sessions in relevant mathematics and science topics will be organized for the cohorts through OU’s Tutoring Center during the first two years.
- The faculty and industrial mentors will work with OU’s Office of Career Services to identify summer internship opportunities in PLM for the scholarship recipients.
- Scholarships recipients will have the option to conduct their capstone senior design project with their PLM Scholarship cohort. The design project will be supervised by the faculty and industrial mentors.
What is the selection criteria for a PLM Scholarship?
- Students must apply (OU does not charge any application fees) and be admitted into either Industrial and Systems Engineering or Mechanical Engineering at Oakland University - see Undergraduate Admissions.
- Students must demonstrate at least $4,300 per year in financial need on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - see fafsa.ed.gov
- Students must be citizens of the United States, nationals of the United States (as defined in section 101(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act), aliens admitted as refugees under section 207 if the Immigration and Nationality Act, or aliens lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence.
If you receive a PLM Scholarship, what are your responsibilities?
PLM Scholarship recipients are responsible to satisfy the following conditions to continue receiving their scholarship. Students not satisfying any one of these conditions may have their scholarship revoked.
- Remain enrolled as a full-time student in Industrial and Systems Engineering or in Mechanical Engineering at Oakland University. If the student changes majors to one other than ISE or ME, the scholarship will be withdrawn at the next semester.
- The student must make annual progress toward obtaining an ISE degree or a ME degree within 4 years according to existing university, school, and department standards (see ISE section or ME section of the O.U. Undergraduate Catalog).
Please help spread-the-word about the PLM Scholarship.
A scholarship flier that may be posted or sent electronically is available here.
Please contact Professor Robert Van Til (248-370-2211, email@example.com).