University Services

Police and Support Services Bldg. Rm 15
201 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, Michigan 48309-4451
(location map)
fax: (248) 370-4544

Printing Services

(248) 370-2282

Mail Services

(248) 370-2281

Central Receiving

(248) 370-2165

Property Management

(248) 370-4220

Property Management

Property Management

Property Management is responsible for the disposition of all Oakland University owned property. This includes all items paid for with University funds or donated/gifted to the University.

Our mission is to redeploy, sell, recycle or dispose of surplus equipment to the best advantage of Oakland University.


Property Management/Surplus

Hours are 7:30am – 4:00pm Monday – Friday

Inventory audit questions should be directed to
Surplus disposal inquiries should be directed to

Property Release 

A Property Release Form must be submitted to the Property Management Department (PMO) for any equipment released, regardless of cost, condition, inventoried or non-inventoried. Click on the box below to complete this form online.

  • All computer storage drives must be securely erased before being released to PMO. This is the submitting department's responsibility. Contact for assistance with this procedure. PMO expects all data on drives to be erased and accepts no responsibility for drives not properly erased or campus policies not followed by the submitting department. Damaging or incapacitating a drive does not guarantee proper data deletion. 
  • Additionally all computers must have a copy of the computer release form. Please email to request this form.
  •  Property Management does not handle the moving of surplus items. Please contact Work Control to submit a work order to have item moved.

Prop Release Form

Request to Take Equipment Off Campus

Download the Request To Take Equipment Off Campus form .  Laptops and similar portable computing devices are excluded.

Electronic Waste

Oakland University is required by law to dispose of all surplus and scrap electronic equipment in an environmentally responsible manner. The PMO works closely with electronic recycling companies to insure proper disposal of all e-waste. E-Waste  may not  simply be thrown into the trash! It must be sent to GUS (Grizzly University Storage) in conjunction with an Property Release Form.

Items that constitute E-Waste include, but are not limited to: electronic lab equipment, computers, monitors, keyboards, mice, speakers, printers, fax machines, copiers, phones & TV's.

Surplus Equipment

Appointments for viewing or purchasing equipment at GUS (Grizzly University Storage) can be made by clicking on the box below.  Please be specific in what you are looking for so we can better determine if we have something in inventory that may suit your needs.
Surplus Appointment Button

Police and Support Services Bldg.
201 Meadow Brook Rd. Rm 15  
(248) 370-4220 
Fax: (248) 370-4544 
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Kathryn Walters, Director University Services & Property Management
Roberta Carlson, Office Assistant II
Melissa Brockington, Assistant
& Procedures

Property Management - Policies and Procedures

  • Departments must complete a  Property Release Form and submit to the Property Management Office (PMO) for any equipment a department wishes to have removed. Removal of unwanted equipment is completed by submitting a work control request with the Moving and Setup department. PMO does not move equipment.
  • All computers must be securely erased before being released to PMO. Additionally all computers must have a copy of the computer release form. Please email to request this form.

  • For removal of items, departments must submit a work order to the Work Control Center.

  • Equipment released to the Property Management office is available to all departments for office use.
  • The donation of University Property to third parties is discouraged. On an exception basis, written requests to donate property with little or no value may be submitted to PMO. Further information is included in Policy #365 - Surplus Disposal. Click here for Donation Guidelines.
  • Departments are responsible for identifying, marking, and recording Government-Owned Property promptly upon receipt.  The PMO will furnish tags for attachment to the Property.  The Property remains so identified as long as it remains in the custody, possession or control of the University.
    In addition, all Federal-Government-Owned Property will be tagged by the PMO as “Property of U.S. Government”.  If the Property prohibits tagging because of the size or nature of the item, items will still be assigned a tag number and be recorded in the Fixed Asset database. When title to the Property remains with a federal agency, the Research Office must request disposal instructions from that agency. For further information on Government-Owned Property refer to the Policies and Procedures.
  • Michigan sales tax must be collected on sales to individuals and to organizations not holding a certificate of tax exemption.
  • For equipment that will be taken off campus, please complete a Request To Take Equipment Off Campus form and submit the original copy to the Property Management Office. Laptops and similar portable computing devices are excluded. You will need Department Head, Dean or Divisional VP approval.
For the complete Policies and Procedures Manual for Property Management, please refer to  Policy 360 in the Administrative Policies and Procedures.  

Surplus items are available at no cost for use in University offices.

Contact us at to inquire about our current inventory. Please be specific in what you are looking for so we can better determine if we have something in inventory that may suit your needs.

Most equipment is in working order. All items are released as is.

Departments are responsible for submitting a work control ticket with Moving/Setup to move larger items from the storage facility to their office.

The PMO staff are not located in the (GUS) Grizzly University Storage facility. Therefore date and times  for viewing equipment are made by requesting an appointment. Appointments can be requested by clicking the button below. If you are going to be late to an appointment or need to change your appointment date and time please contact the office at 4220.
Surplus Appointment Button
Surplus Sale

Oakland University Surplus is not holding open public sales at this time.

Surplus items are still available for public purchase by appointment. Click the box below to set up an appointment. When requesting an appointment please be specific in what you are looking for so we can better determine if we have something in our current inventory that would suit your needs.

Surplus Appointment Button

GUS view two.jpg

  • All sales are cash (or check with ID) and carry; We cannot accept credit or debit cards
  • Michigan sales tax must be applied to all sales
  • The purchaser is responsible for removing the equipment from the storage area at the time of purchase; Staff cannot help load items 
  • Most equipment is in working order, all items are released as is
  • Purchaser should determine whether the item is working prior to purchase
  • No warranties are given for surplus property

There are no offices, restrooms or phones in GUS. Our PMO office is located in Room 15 Police and Support Services Bldg., GUS is located at 3921 Lonedale Rd, Rochester, MI 48309.  Lonedale Road can be accessed via Squirrel Road using the new entrance or you can enter campus via Pioneer Drive.  When entering the university by way of Pioneer Drive, take the first right at the traffic circle, and make a left at the dirt road, which is Lonedale Road.

Contact us at  Occasionally items are posted to Craigslist Detroit under  "Property Mgt".