International Education

O'Dowd Hall, Room 328
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4482
(location map)
(248) 370-2889

Office hours
Mon - Fri: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

In-person and virtual advising hours
Mon - Fri: 9 a.m. - noon and 1 - 4 p.m.

Walk-in advising hours
Mon - Thurs: 1 - 3 p.m.

Alex Zimmerman, Director
(248) 370-2843

Student Resources

You Are Welcome Here
OU welcomes students from around the world.


My name is Fawaz Alkhudhayr. I’m from Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and I will graduate as Industrial System Engineer in two thousand and nineteen.

I am Yue. I come from Guizhou, China. I will graduate two thousand nineteen with Master’s of Reading Education.

I am Mohammed Alaraimi. I came all the way from Oman to study at Oakland University. I’m studying Mechanical Engineering and I’m graduating next fall.

Hi, I’m Francis. I’m from Torreon, Mexico and I’ll be graduating with my Master’s in Business Administration.

Fawaz: Since I came here, I have never felt that I’m international student. And faculty and the student always encourage me to achieve my goals.

Yue: OU helps international students welcome by celebrating traditions of different cultures. My favorite is Chinese New Years celebration. That makes me feel at home.

Mohammed: Living in the dorm and playing all the sport league, helped me out to make a lot of friends and also practice my English.

Francis: I felt welcome even before becoming an OU student. The ISSO office helped me with my Visa, provided information about scholarships and they even had an orientation just for international students.




You are welcome here.

Where can I find the International Education - Study Abroad programs office?

The International Education-Study Abroad office is location in 328 O'Dowd Hall and is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

What are the steps to study abroad through Oakland University?

That’s easy! Check our step-by-step process.

Where can I go?

The choice is yours! OU has programs in many countries, spanning six continents.

When can I go?

You can study abroad for a semester, as early as the Summer after your Freshman year. Did you know that you can study abroad as many times as you like!

Where will I live?

Accommodation type and style vary by location. Typically students stay in residence halls, apartments or with a host family.

How long can I study abroad?

You can study abroad for a semester or an academic year. You can also study abroad during the summer for as short as 10 days or as long as 9 weeks. Ten–day faculty-led programs are frequently offered during winter break and faculty-led programs from one to six weeks are offered in summer.

Do I have to be fluent in a foreign language to study abroad?

No. There are programs all over the world taught in English. Many study sites in non-English speaking countries offer the opportunity to take beginning language classes.

Do I have to have a specific major to study abroad?

All OU students can study abroad regardless of major or minor.

Will I receive OU credits?

Yes. You must be accepted by Study Abroad programs and participate in the OU approved program. All of your courses will be approved prior to departure so you will know in advance which course credits you will be receiving.

What are the requirements for studying abroad?

OU recommends that students have a 3.0 GPA. Some programs may establish additional requirements (a higher GPA, language requirement, etc.) The applications of students who do not meet the minimum requirements will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Will studying abroad delay my graduation?

No. Many students have graduated on schedule with prior planning.

How much does it cost to study abroad?

Cost depends on the trip, additional costs are often covered in informational meetings.

Is there funding available for my study abroad?

Did you know that there are scholarships offered on campus and nationally that are only available to students who study abroad! Scholarships are available through the International Education – Study Abroad Office, numerous departments across campus, and through several national organizations.

Most of the financial aid you already receive at OU can be used for study abroad when you participate in an approved program (just ask a Financial Aid adviser to review your current aid with you.) The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will meet with you to talk about your financial aid status and will inform you about any additional aid that is available to you to help cover costs. Be sure to bring the program budget sheet provided by your study abroad adviser to the appointment. All students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are eligible for a student loan.

How do I apply to study abroad?

You will meet with a study abroad adviser in the International Education-Study Abroad Office to choose your study abroad program. The adviser will explain the application steps. Students participating in a faculty-led program will meet with the faculty leader to begin the application process.

Is there an application deadline?

Application deadlines vary by program. Check individual program websites for details. Starting the application process early and planning ahead is always recommended to leave plenty of time to complete the requirements.

Will I need a passport or visa to study abroad?

Yes, you must have a passport to study abroad. Some countries also require that you apply for a visa (permission from the foreign government to enter the country.) For costs and how to apply for a U.S. passport or visa, visit or phone the National Passport Information Center, (877) 487-2778.

Can I study abroad more than once?

Absolutely! It is becoming more common for students to study abroad a second or even third time. With careful planning, you can incorporate several study abroad programs into your academic life at OU.

Is there information I can read about health and safety abroad?

Yes, the U.S. State Department offers travel information for United States citizens and the Centers for Disease Control offers health information for travelers.

Can I receive accommodations if I have a disability?

OU study-abroad staff will work with you to help select a program that can provide necessary accommodations. All students requesting accommodations must be registered with OU’s Student Disabilities Services Office.

What do I pack?