Mobile Navigation Menu Icon. 3 horizontal gold bars.

University Housing

Hamlin Hall, Room 448
550 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4452
(location map)
(248) 370-3570
M, T, Th, F: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
W: 8 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.

University Housing

Hamlin Hall, Room 448
550 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4452
(location map)
(248) 370-3570
M, T, Th, F: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
W: 8 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.

Smiling female student in a black shirt seated across from other people

Policies and Procedures

The best way to navigate challenging residential situations and personal circumstances — and to avoid them from happening in the first place — is to review and understand OU’s policies. Take time to read our policies and procedures, and think about how they pertain to your everyday life.

Housing Eligibility
To be eligible to reside in Oakland University’s residence halls or apartments, students must be:
  • currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program at Oakland University, and registered for at least one course credit in any given semester, during the duration of the University Housing contract;
  • matriculated students in a degree program at another college or university that has an affiliation agreement with the University; or 
  • participating in an authorized summer camp program.
Students enrolled in continuing education classes or other non-degree programs are not formally admitted to the University.

To be eligible to live in the student apartments, students must be non-first-year students who have earned at least 16 cumulative credits at the time they submit their housing contract. 

Students who experience a change of status resulting in lack of eligibility compliance must vacate their assigned residence halls rooms or apartments as directed by the Department of University Housing.
Alcohol and Drug Policies
Alcohol Policy
Only people 21 years and older may possess and consume alcoholic beverages. Any individual possessing, and/or consuming, and/or found to be in the presence of alcohol who is not of legal age, or possessing, and/or consuming alcohol in a public area within University Housing, may be issued an appearance ticket (MIP – minor in possession) by the Oakland University police. Alcohol may be possessed and consumed only in student rooms where the occupant is 21 years or older. When consuming alcohol in student rooms, apartments or cottages, the room and/or suite and/or apartment or cottage door must be closed and occupants must be in no violation of other policies. Students should be aware of the legal liability inherent in supplying alcohol to anyone not of legal age.

Neither possession (including open cans, bottles, cups, squeeze bottles, etc.) nor consumption of alcohol is allowed in any public area within University Housing, including balconies, hallways, lounges, study rooms and community bathrooms. It is not permitted outdoors. Alcohol containers and returnables must be wrapped or contained in a bag or other packaging so the contents are not visible. It is not acceptable to hide alcohol containers in pockets or under coats and shirts. Alcohol bottles and containers may not be used as decorative items in residences.

“Common source” distribution, defined as any individual or group of students sharing or supplying alcoholic beverages, is prohibited. Kegs and consumption paraphernalia are not permitted in the residence halls. Students violating the alcohol policy may be required to attend an alcohol education class, and may face additional sanctions as deemed fit by University Housing or the Dean of Students Office.

Drug Policy
As a state-supported institution, Oakland University expects its students to observe federal and state laws regarding the use or possession of illegal drugs. The university does not permit the sale, distribution, use or possession of illegal drugs on campus, nor the use or possession of drug paraphernalia (i.e. bongs, rolling papers, hookah pipes, scales, roach clips, etc.).

The possession of a Michigan marijuana registry identification card does not exempt students from this prohibition. The use and possession of marijuana remains illegal under federal law and, as a recipient of federal funds, Oakland University is subject to the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989, and could lose federal funding for any violations of those acts that require Oakland University to take measures to combat the use of drugs and alcohol. Prescription drugs are only to be used by the person to whom they are prescribed and as directed.

Students and guests who are found to be smelling of, in the presence of, or under the influence of illegal drugs are subject to disciplinary action, which could include immediate suspension or expulsion from University Housing and/or the university, as well as legal action. Students violating this policy also may be required to attend a drug education class, and may face additional sanctions as deemed fit by University Housing or the Dean of Students Office.
Sexual Misconduct

Sexual misconduct is unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature without consent and includes sexual harassment, sexually hostile environments and sexual violence. Learn more about OU’s Sexual Assault and Violence Initiative.

Contract Cancellation

To cancel your on-campus housing, you will need to complete a Contract Release Form online. Please do so by following the instructions shown below, or as demonstrated in our instructional video.

PLEASE NOTE: If you currently have a fall 2019-winter 2020 housing contract, and are canceling your contract because you will not be returning to on-campus housing for the winter 2020 semester, you should submit your contract release form no more than five days prior to when you plan to move off campus. Once your contract release is received, you will need to vacate your room assignment, return your key, and move off-campus within five business days.

To cancel your housing contract:

  1. Log into the My Housing portal.

  2. Click the Contracts/Forms drop-down menu, then click on the contract you would like to cancel.

  3. From the What Would You Like to Do with This Application? drop-down menu that appears, select Cancel/Withdraw This Application, then click Submit.

  4. When prompted, confirm that you want to cancel your contract by selecting Yes, Cancel This Application from the drop-down menu that appears.

  5. Select the reason you are cancelling your contract.

  6. In the Add Any Additional Notes box, provide any additional information you feel is important, then click Submit.

  7. You will then reach a confirmation page for the contract release, and notice that the word Canceled now appears at the end of the canceled contract in the Contracts/Forms drop-down menu.

  8. If you have already moved onto campus and are in possession of a room key, you must turn in your key at the appropriate Service Desk during regular business hours. Service Desk hours are noted below. You will have five business days following the submission of your contract to vacate your room, return your key, and move out. Please note: if you do not return your room key, you will be subject to a $250 charge for key and lock replacement, as well as a $25 charge for improper checkout. 

Service desk hours are as follows:

Residence Halls Service Desk Hours
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Please note that the service desk for Hill House, Van Wagoner House, and Fitzgerald House is located inside Van Wagoner House.

Apartment Service Desk Hours
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Please note that the service desk for the student apartments and cottages is located in the 4000 building of the Ann V. Nicholson Apartments.