Undergraduate Admissions
North Foundation Hall, Room 101
318 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4454
(800) OAK-UNIV
(248) 370-3360

Office Hours
M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.



Do I need to take a placement exam before I register for classes at orientation?

Some general courses at Oakland, including mathematics, modern languages and writing and rhetoric, require students to take placement exams or to meet certain criteria. New students are strongly encouraged to complete necessary placement exams prior to attending orientation. For more information about course placement and testing, visit the Course Placement web site.

It is also important that you forward your most current SAT or ACT scores to:

Undergraduate Admissions
North Foundation Hall, Room 101
318 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4454

and your Advanced Placement (AP) scores and/or transcripts to:

Academic Records
O'Dowd Hall, Room 101
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI  48309-4482

Some academic departments use these scores to suggest beginning placements.

How can I schedule an appointment with an admissions adviser?

Admissions Advisers are available to answer questions about the application process or general Oakland University information. Please call (800) OAK-UNIV if you would like to schedule an appointment with an Admissions Adviser. 

Students who wish to make an appointment regarding graduate admissions should call the Office of Graduate Study at (248) 370-2700.

How do I apply for a masters program?

Students can apply to a masters program by submitting an application to  Graduate Education at Oakland University. Applications are available online or paper applications can be requested. Admission requirements and deadlines vary by academic program.

When is the deadline for graduate admissions?

Deadlines for admission to graduate programs vary by academic program. You can find individual program deadlines in the Graduate Program Academic Catalog.

How long does it take to process my application?
  • Undergraduate admission: Once we have received your completed application (including all transcripts, SAT or ACT scores and any other required supporting documents),we will make a decision within 4-6 weeks. You will be notified by mail of the decision.
  • Graduate admission: The office of Graduate Education collects all application requirements. Files are then reviewed in one of two ways. For programs that admit students on a rolling basis (admission decisions made on a continual basis), files are sent for review as soon as they become complete. For programs that admit students on a cohort basis (competitive admission for a limited number of seats), files are forwarded to the department for review after the application deadline. Once the academic recommendation is received and a final decision is made, the Office of Graduate Study notifies the applicant of his/her admission status.

How can I find out what courses transfer to OU?

After you are admitted, you will receive an official transfer credit evaluation. All coursework completed with a 2.0 (or equivalent) or better grade is evaluated. You may use transferred courses for general education and major requirements. Academic departments will review transcripts for credits to be used toward major requirements by the end of your first semester at OU.

You may also view our  course equivalencies online

How can I obtain my transcripts from other schools?

To get your transcripts from other schools, contact the Registrar's Office at your prior college or university.

What is my student number?

Your student number is your  Grizzly ID number.

I am an international student, where/how do I apply for admission to OU? 

If you are interested in an undergraduate program you can visit the  International Students page for detailed application instructions. To speak with an admissions adviser, contact Undergraduate Admissions at (800) OAK-UNIV. For graduate studies, you can apply online for Graduate Admissions or you can contact the Graduate Admissions Office at (248) 370-2700. 

How does an international student get an I-20 or DS-2019?

After the admissions office determines that your file is in order and all necessary documents have been submitted, your application will be reviewed.  Once you are admitted, your file is sent to the  International Students & Scholars Office. There, your I-20 or DS-2019 is prepared and sent to you along with other helpful information. 

If I am an out-of-state or international student, how can I change my residency rates?

Students who would like to change their residency rates must apply for  re-classification with the  Registrar's Office. You can also find helpful information about re-classification in the  undergraduate catalog and  graduate catalog.

If I am an international student, do I need to attend an orientation program?

Yes. International Students and Scholars coordinates a special program to meet your needs. They will send you information regarding your orientation program. 

How does an international student transfer to OU?

For information on transferring to Oakland University, including the admission process and transferring credits, please see the International section of the Future Students site. To complete the transfer process, students must complete Part I of the transfer document found in the International Supplemental Application, and have the international student adviser from their current institution complete Part II of the transfer document. Then, have your adviser mail or email the transfer form to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Oakland University. Once an international student has been officially admitted to Oakland University, they will receive an admission letter, an I-20 or IAP-66 document, other pertinent information. International students transferring from an institution in the U.S. to Oakland University must also follow transfer procedures according to USCIS. 

How much does it cost an international student to study at Oakland University?

a.       Tuition:  The cost for an international student varies depending on your level (i.e., undergraduate, graduate, doctorate) and major. See the current tuition rates

b.      Resident Tuition: What are the eligibility requirements for resident tuition?

                        i.  I have a non-student visa, but have lived in Michigan for 3 years.  Can I obtain resident tuition?
Each case is handled on an individual basis. After you apply and are admitted, you will receive a form to complete, which may result in receiving resident status.

c.       Living & Other Costs:  Other costs such as living expenses, school supplies, and medical insurance are around $14,000 per year.

Will I sign up for classes at an orientation program?

Yes. During the  orientation program, professional academic advisers help all new undergraduate students plan for their first semester of study.  For freshman students, the First Year Advising Center advisers will help you register for courses.  For transfer students who have chosen a major of interest, an academic adviser from your School or the College of Arts & Sciences will help you register for courses.

Is there an application deadline?

Yes. Please visit the Deadlines & Important Dates section of our website to find more information regarding application deadlines for your specific student type.

After you receive my completed application, how long will it be before I know if I have been admitted?

Once your application materials are received, Undergraduate Admissions will make a decision within 4-6 weeks. Admissions decisions are sent by U.S. mail. If you receive a delay decision, you may contact us at (800) OAK-UNIV or (248) 370-3360 to discuss your decision.

You can check our application status  online. You may also request a status check by calling Undergraduate Admissions.

What if I take the SAT or ACT more than once?

If you take the SAT or ACT more than once, Oakland University will consider the highest score for admission purposes. Please ensure that your SAT or ACT scores are sent to: 

Undergraduate Admissions
North Foundation Hall, Room 101
318 Meadow Brook Road 
Rochester, MI 48309-4454

What is the recommended high school curriculum a student should follow?

We strongly encourage students to follow a college preparatory curriculum that includes:
  • Four years of English
  • A minimum of three years of mathematics, including intermediate algebra
  • A minimum of three years in social sciences
  • A minimum of three years in biological/physical sciences
  • A minimum of two years in a foreign language

Are freshmen allowed to have cars on campus?
All Oakland University students are allowed to have cars on campus and parking is free. 

If students are not recruited to join a sports team, can they still try out?  If so, what is the process?

Yes, full-time students are permitted to try out for teams. Information can be found on OUgrizzlies.com for each individual sport. Student-athletes may also contact the head coach using the staff directory on the athletics website.

What is the average age of Oakland University students?
More than 66 percent of Oakland University's undergraduate students are between the ages of 17-22.

How many classes are taught by graduate assistants?
Less than one percent of classes are taught by graduate assistants. Oakland University is committed to teaching. Senior faculty teach all levels of classes, including introductory courses. 

What is Oakland University's total enrollment?

How can I visit Oakland University's campus?

Oakland is happy to give future students and their families a  tour of campus. You may register for a tour online.

Does Oakland prefer the SAT or ACT?

Oakland University accepts both the SAT and the ACT; we have no preference for either exam.

What percentage of students return to Oakland University after their freshman year?

More than 78 percent of freshmen enrolled for fall 2014 returned to Oakland University in fall 2015.

Does Oakland accept the GED?

Yes, Oakland accepts GED holders based on the level of their total score.

Does Oakland University have a policy of placing students on a waiting list?

At the undergraduate level, Oakland does not place any students on a waiting list.

How many credits can I transfer from a community college or four-year college?

A student may transfer half the credits required for their Bachelor's degree from a community college (i.e. if the degree requires 128 credits, you may transfer 64 credits that apply to your degree). If the student has credit from a community college and a four-year college, the rule applies to the community college, but full credit is given from the four-year college courses in which you earn a grade of 2.0 (or equivalent) or better. However, 32 credits must be taken at Oakland University to obtain a degree from OU regardless of what has transferred in to the institution.

My GPA is below a 2.5. How do obtain admission?

Make an appointment with an admissions adviser by calling (248) 370-3360 or (800) OAK-UNIV.  We will help you in taking the proper steps to be able to meet Oakland’s requirements for admission.

I have a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) and I have college credit from my home country.  Am I considered an international student?  Would I pay resident student tuition?

You are not considered an international student and are eligible to pay resident tuition, if other conditions are also met. However, you will need to have your international transcripts evaluated by an independent agency, such as World Education Services ( wes.org) or Educational Credential Evaluators ( ece.org). If your native language is not English, you are required to present either a TOEFL or MELAB score before admission can be granted.  For more information on English Language Proficiency, please visit our international student page.

I have been a Michigan resident for the last ten years and have a Permanent Resident Card.  Am I required to take the TOEFL or MELAB?

All students whose native language is not English are required to present TOEFL or MELAB scores, unless you have graduated from an American high school or have obtained 24 credits from an American college/university, including at least one English course (non-ESL). 

Can I be a guest student on an F-1 visa at Oakland University?

Yes. You must obtain either  an undegraduate guest student application or a  graduate guest student application and we will be able to process your application.

How do I transfer my F-1 visa at another school to Oakland?

First you must complete either an  undergraduate or  graduate application and meet all requirements for the issue of a new I-20. Students wishing to obtain an I-20 from Oakland University for graduate coursework should also review our  international student requirements for graduate students.

I would like to obtain an F-1 visa and I am currently not in the United States.  What steps do I need to take?

To start to obtain an F-1 visa status, you may visit the  undergraduate international  or  graduate page for specific instructions on how to apply.

I was admitted for the last term, but was unable to attend.  What do I need to do to register for the next term?

Admitted students have a year from their original term to update their application. After that, you must re-apply. Contact the  Office of Undergraduate Admissions to update your record.

I transferred to and then graduated from Oakland University and would like to return for a second degree.  Do I need to request transcripts from my previous college(s)?

Yes, even if you graduated from Oakland University after attending other colleges, you still need to request transcripts from all previous schools. Once credits from previous colleges have been transferred, the transcripts are destroyed after one year.

What is the application fee for admission?

There is no application fee. You can apply  online for free!

How do I apply for a scholarship?

Oakland does not have a separate scholarship application for academic merit scholarships. Visit the  scholarships website for current deadlines. 

As a transfer student, can I get a scholarship if I begin attending Oakland University in the summer?

Currently, Oakland only offers  scholarships to students entering in the fall or winter semesters. 

What is the minimum GPA to transfer to Oakland University?

For general undergraduate admission, the minimum cumulative GPA required is a 2.5. However, some specific academic programs may require a higher GPA. 

Do I have to have official transcripts?

While Undergraduate Admissions may use unofficial transcripts for the admissions process, we must receive official transcripts before you wish to start at OU, or you will not be able to register or obtain an official transfer credit evaluation. 

Once you have been admitted, official transcripts should be mailed to the  Academic Records Office at:

O'Dowd Hall, Room 101
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4482

Can I bring official transcripts in a sealed envelope?

No. When applying for admission at the undergraduate level, the transcripts must be mailed by the sending institution directly to Oakland University, and must not be handled by the student. The mailing address for Undergraduate Admissions is:

Undergraduate Admissions
North Foundation Hall, Room 101
318 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4454

Do you offer English as a Second Language (ESL) classes?

Oakland University offers the following these  ESL courses through the  English as a Second Language Center. You may call (248) 370-2175 for more information. 

How do I apply online?

For undergraduate students, simply view the  online application on the Future Students site. Be sure to keep the login and PIN you created so you can check your application status online.

Graduate Student applications are also available here.  

I would like to take a class at Oakland University during the summer, but I currently attend a different Michigan college/university. What do I need to do?

To attend Oakland University as a guest student at the undergraduate level, you will need to complete the Michigan Uniform Undergraduate Guest Application, available online. The Registrar's office of your home institution will then need to complete, sign and affix their seal to the bottom portion of the application. You then complete the rest and mail it to us at:

Undergraduate Admissions
North Foundation Hall, Room 101
318 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4454

If your university is out-of-state, it is very important to make sure that official transcripts are sent to our office along with the application.

As for class availability, schedules are available on the site for OU's  Registrar.

Students who wish to be a guest student at the graduate level should contact Graduate Education at (248) 370-2700.

What if my SAT or ACT scores are not very high?

If you do not earn an acceptable score for admission, Oakland encourages you to retake the
SAT or ACT.  Your test score is a good indicator of your potential college performance. If you have questions about the ACT requirement, please talk to an admissions adviser. You may contact us at (800) OAK-UNIV or (248) 370-3360.

What are the average GPA and SAT or ACT scores for incoming freshmen?

The average incoming freshman possesses a 3.4 high school GPA and score of 1150 on the SAT (ACT composite score of 23).

What if I change my mind about registration?

Students who find it necessary to drop all courses for which they are registered must file an official withdrawal form with the registration office, or drop all of their classes via their MySAIL portal. See the  Adds, Drops & Withdrawals page on the Office of the Registrar’s website for more information.