Bridging the Generation Gap (from SHRM)
Read more about Generational Differences
- Traditionalists, The Silent Generation (born before 1945) prize loyalty and prefer a top-down approach to management. They view information as something that should be provided on a need-to-know basis.
- Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964)are characterized by their optimism and idealism. They achieved success by challenging authority and creating open lines of communication.
- Generation X (born 1965-1980)tend to be more skeptical than members of other generations. Many were latchkey kids or the products of broken homes and grew up in a time of political and corporate scandals. As a result, they often distrust institutions and prize individualism.
- Generation Y, Millennial, Echo Boomers, Net Gen, Generation Why, Entitlement Generation (born 1980- 1994)Even as this generation enters the workforce, their personalities are already emerging. For starters, these young workers recognize that not only will they change employers throughout their career, but also they will change the type of work they do.
Employee Severance Plan (ESP)
A reminder – if you wish to participate in the Employee Severance Plan (ESP), applications must be completed and returned to EPC no later than March 7, 2011. Applications postmarked after March 7, 2011 will not be accepted.
An individual counseling session has been scheduled for Thursday, March 3 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in the Heritage Room of the Oakland Center. Applications may also be dropped off at that time. Schedule a confidential individual counseling session online at www.epcinternet.com/OU or by calling 1-800-747-1504 between the hours of 8:00am and 4:00pm.
Are You Enrolled in an HMO for 2011?
Are you enrolled in one of the following HMOs for 2011?
If you and your spouse are enrolled in one of the HMOs listed above, remember that you must both complete the on-line health risk appraisal and visit your primary care physician to complete the Qualification Form before the end of March 2011 to qualify for the higher level of benefits. This is true even if you were in the same plan in 2010. If you are in the Enhanced level of benefits, you must complete the above process to remain in the Enhanced level for the remainder of 2011. If you are currently in the Standard level of benefits, this is your chance to move to the Enhanced level by completing the required steps identified above.
- HAP Health Engagement (Non-faculty)
- Blue Care Network Healthy Blue Living
- Priority Health HealthbyChoice Incentives
If you have any questions about your benefits, please contact the Staff Benefits office at extension 4207 or stop in to see us at 401 Wilson Hall.
Flexible Spending Account Reminder
If you are enrolled in the 2010 Health Care Flexible Spending Account, you had until December 31, 2010 to use your funds. Claims for the Health Care Account must be filed with Meritain no later than March 31, 2011. Claims forms are available on the UHR website at: http://www.oakland.edu/upload/docs/UHR/MeritainReimbursement.pdf. Be sure to keep a copy of all claims sent to Meritain for processing. Remember, money that is not used by the end of the year will be forfeited.
Staff Member News
Please welcome all of the new
employees that have joined us in February, 2011!
Michael Barber - Custodian - Campus Cleaning
Sau Chan - Custodian - Campus Cleaning
Sin Kwan Cheng - Custodian - Campus Cleaning
Aaron Grant - Senior Developer Analyst - Database Applications
Courtney Hilla - Administrative Secretary - University Relations
Lou Kondek - Systems Analyst - New Technologies - Architecture Technical Support
Debra Lengyel - Coordinator, Undergraduate Programs - SBA
Shane Lewis - Admissions Adviser - Admissions & Orientation
Denae May - Alumni Admissions Ambassador Program Coordinator - Admissions & Orientation
Londale Nelson - Financial Aid Adviser - Financial Aid
Roberta Rea - Adviser - Arts & Science Advising
Joseph Schoof - Police Officer - OUPD
Christina Simon - Program & Events Specialist - University Relations
Deborah Thornton - Office Assistant II - School of Medicine
Joan Wancour - Office Assistant III - School of Business Administration
TO FEBRUARY 2011 EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH LEO DEBIAGGI!Leo Debiaggi, Manager, Student Affairs Technology, has been with Oakland University for 4 years.
Read about Leo's contribution to the
University on his Employee
of the Month page.
Nominate a shining star for Employee of the
Click on the Nominate link to complete the
Training Courses Offered for March2011|
|Student Employment 101|
3/3/2011 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
CareWorks CMS - Web Content Management System
3/4/2011 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Banner - Purchase Requisitions
3/8/2011 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
Careworks CMS - Form Builder/Media Gallery
3/10/2011 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
|CareWorks CMS - WORKSHOP|
3/11/2011 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
3/17/2011 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
Introduction to Microsoft Office 2007
3/18/2011 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
CareWorks CMS - News and Events
3/24/2011 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
If you have any questions, please contact the training department at x4579. You can click here to enroll in these and many other courses.
CareWorks Tip! How to Insert a News Article into Your Newsletter
For those departments that have a periodic newsletter (such as the one that you are currently viewing), you may wish to write longer articles and link to them from your newsletter instead of posting the entire length of the article.
The first step is to create a news article using the CareWorks News module. Training for the news module is available this month on March 24. You can also email Dana at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of her training materials on how to do this very simple task.
Once the articles have been created, you will access your newsletter and follow the steps below:
If you do not currently have a newsletter, but would like one, please contact your University Communications and Marketing representative for assistance.
Speaking of Generations in the Workplace
There are several SkillSoft courses that address the benefits and challenges associated with combining different generations in the office. You can learn more about:
You can find these courses and simulations in the SkillSoft catalog:
- Attracting, Developing and Retaining Generations
- Leading Silent Generation and baby Boomer Workers
- Leading Generations X and Next
- Cross-generational Workers in the 21st Century
- Managine an Aging Workforce
- Understanding the Motives of Millenials
Business curriculum > Leadership> Leading the Workforce Generations
Please click here to enroll in SkillSoft.
Building a Better U|
|Exercise for Charity!|
Celebrate NIRSA (National Intramural Recreational Sports Association) Rec Sports and Fitness Day with Campus Recreation at our charity group exercise-a-thon!
• Wednesday, March 9th 11 a.m.-11 p.m. at the Rec Center.
• Members and non-members welcome to participate.
• $5 for any or all classes offered, additional donations accepted.
• All proceeds will benefit the ALS of Michigan.
• Visit www.oakland.edu/campusrec for a list of classes offered, why we chose ALS of Michigan, details on donating to the cause, and more!
OU CAN TRI!
• "Tri" to go the distance at our 2nd OU Indoor Triathlon!
• Sunday, March 20 at the Recreation Center.
• The tri includes a 10 minute swim or water walk, 20 minute bike ride and 15 minute run or walk.
• Individual or team participation is encouraged!
Click here for the full story
For Fast Acting Relief, Try Slowing Down!
Make the time for a massage this month. Estimates are that 90% of disease is stress related. Massage is therapeutic and can help manage stress which translates into decreased anxiety, enhanced sleep quality, greater energy, improved concentration, increased circulation, reduced fatigue, help you achieve overall better health.
The Department of Campus Recreation is happy to add Joanne Gregor, Certified Massage Therapist to the staff! Joanne offers Swedish, Deep Tissue, and Sports Massage for clients at the Recreation Center. Membership is not required to take advantage of massage therapy services.
Click here for the full story
|Please send an email to email@example.com with your
feedback on how we can improve your UHR newsletter!|