Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Advisers steer first year students through full-year registrationBy Carin Inglis, media relations intern
First year students are able to register for classes online beginning Wednesday, March 27, at 6 a.m. For a complete list of registration dates, visit oakland.edu/regschedule
All first year students are required to meet with their First Year Advising Center adviser in the winter semester before registration in order to discuss degree programs, requirements, class schedule and more.
First-year students who have not completed their required winter advising appointment by Wednesday, March 27, will have a hold placed on their account which will prevent registration. Appointment slots are filling up quickly, so students are encouraged to make appointments immediately.
To schedule an appointment with the FYAC, call (248) 370-3227. Walk-in advising is also available every Wednesday during the winter semester from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and every day from Monday, March 25, through Friday, March 29. Student leaders will be available in the FYAC from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday, March 27, and Thursday, March 28, to assist with registration issues.
To prepare for an appointment, students should review all advising documents from the fall semester and create a list of possible second year courses to discuss with an adviser. Students can obtain a degree checklist for major by visiting oakland.edu/advising
For easier and more effective scheduling, students are encouraged to look over the full list of "registration DOs"
provided by the Office of the Registrar. Some tips for preparation include:
- Check SAIL for any holds or unpaid bills that may prevent on-time registration.
- Verify that you meet the prerequisites for the course before attempting to register. Look for the prerequisites in the undergraduate catalog or on the class schedule search.
- Have a list of first-choice classes and alternatives, for prompt registration without having to search when a class is full.
- Print a degree evaluation to monitor progress toward degree.
When preparing to register for classes, students should calculate their earned credits and check their registration status through SAIL using the following steps:
- Go to mysail.oakland.edu
- Log in using your NetID and password
- Once inside the portal, click on "Register for Classes"
- Click on "Check Your Registration Status" to view any registration permits/overrides, holds
- Go back to the Registration screen
- Select a term to start registering (start with summer semester 2013)
To view summer courses, programs and events, view the summer website at oakland.edu/summer