Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Women’s History Month focuses on political icons
Women’s History Month takes place throughout the month of March and Oakland University’s Gender and Sexuality Center has coordinated a variety of events around the theme “Women in Politics.”
“This is a huge year for women in politics. In planning for Women’s History Month, I couldn’t overlook the fact that this is the first time we’ve had a woman run for president and really be competing,” said Joann Bautti-Roche, coordinator of the Gender and Sexuality Center.
The events focus on women in politics from a national to campus level. From videos and documentaries on national events, to discussion panels and the story of an OU student who ran for local office, the month’s events are designed to showcase powerful female voices.
Women’s History Month Events
- Nancy Skinner, Democratic Activist, Wednesday, March 5, noon-1 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
- “The Vagina Monologues,” Friday and Saturday, March 7 and 8, 8 p.m., 201 Dodge Hall
- “A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant and a Prayer: Writings to Stop Violence against Women and Girls,” Saturday, March 8, 5 p.m. in 201 Dodge Hall
- “Woman Policymaker/Woman Voter: A Distinction with a Difference,” a panel discussion with women from OU’s Political Science Department, Wednesday, March 12, noon-1 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
- “Voices from the Street: Countdown to a March,” a documentary by Women’s Studies Professor Sue Rumph, Thursday, March 13, 7:30-10:30 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
- “Tales from the Campaign Trail: A Young Woman’s Campaign for Rochester Hills City Council,” featuring OU student Jennifer Stein, Wednesday, March 19, noon-1 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
- “Iron Jawed Angels,” a documentary presented by the Women’s Issues Forum, Thursday, March 20, 7:30-10:30 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
- Naomi Wolf Presents “The End of America: Letter of Warning to Young Patriots,” a lecture sponsored by the Student Life Lecture Board, Wednesday, March 26, 7 p.m., Oakland Center Banquet Rooms
- 25th Annual Women’s Studies Film Festival: Revolutionary Women in the Workplace,” featuring films such as “Salt of the Earth” and “North Country,” Saturday, March 29, 12:30-6:30 p.m., 156 North Foundation Hall
For more infroatmion on the events, contact the Gender and Sexuality Center at (248) 370-4333 or firstname.lastname@example.org.