Friday, February 1, 2008
OU President gives University Update
|OU President Gary Russi|
Oakland University President Gary Russi provided the campus community with an update on the state of affairs at OU. He said despite challenges, Oakland University is still thriving. Russi credited OU faculty and staff and planning efforts for the university’s success and challenged them to continue to make a difference in the future.
Russi said OU’s success with its 2010 vision is the direct result of the faculty and staff and their dedication to the university. “It’s because of you and our planning,” Russi said.
Russi noted the accomplishments of Oakland University including the quality and integrity of faculty and staff, addition of new academic programs, infrastructure expansions, increased partnerships and successful lobbying.
The success of “Innovation and Opportunity — The Campaign for Oakland University” was also noted with a spontaneous round of applause during the update. Since it started three years ago, the comprehensive campaign has raised $96 million toward the $110 million goal in 2010.
Russi said it was also important to focus on the future. Through hundreds of meetings, the university has reaffirmed the mission statement, developed a working 2020 vision with core components and core values. Individual units have created passion statements as well as an overarching university passion statement: Making a difference in people’s lives by creating opportunities for them to succeed.
- Oakland University will continue to develop, enhance and support areas of excellence to achieve national recognition as a university of distinction in teaching, learning, research and the arts as well as cultural and social experiences.
- Through exposure to a diverse learning environment and opportunities to study and live abroad, Oakland University graduates will develop a keen sense of the global community.
- Oakland University will expand its wide range and depth of professional programs to meet marketplace demands while continuing to maintain and support a strong liberal studies program.
- Oakland University will engage with communities to develop partnerships that form solutions to community needs, will resonate in the business and philanthropic communities, and will create and expand experiential opportunities for OU students.
- OU will broaden a research-intensive agenda to enhance undergraduate, graduate and faculty research opportunities, meet the needs of corporate partners, effectively expand external and internal funding, and increase the university’s presence in the global research community.
- Oakland will offer a student-centered education with flexible learning methods and improved classroom and housing facilities, student services, classroom technologies, labs, internships, undergraduate and graduate research opportunities and challenging degree programs.
- Future growth and enrollment will continue toward a 25,000 student target with growth also in faculty, staff, campus and student services and technology enhancements.
- OU will continue to extend its reach into the community through the development of satellite campuses and partnerships with other institutions of higher learning.
- OU will provide opportunities for entrepreneurship through additional resources and programs to meet corporate training needs.
For more information on Oakland's vision for the future, visit the 2020 Vision Web page.
To view the video of Russi’s University Update, please click on one of these links: