Friday, October 26, 2007
OU celebrates Cultural Awareness Week Nov. 5-9By Rebecca Wyatt Thomas, OU Web Writer
Oakland University’s annual Cultural Awareness Week will be held Nov. 5-9. The theme, “Mission Possible: 50 Years of Embracing Change,” explores the different cultures at OU through interactive and informational events.
“Cultural Awareness Week is a great time to recognize and celebrate the variety of cultures on campus,” said Helena Gardner, residence halls program coordinator. “The comittee has worked hard to ensure that students can connect more cloesly to each other by bringing students and their talents to many of the activities, and brining educational opportunities that all cultures can enjoy.”
One of the featured events of the week is the Taikoza Concert sponsored by University Housing. Taikoza is a Japanese music and dance group that will perform Nov. 7 from noon-1 p.m. in the Vandenberg Dining Center. There is a cost for anyone without a meal plan, however the Cultural Awareness Week committee will cover the cost of the first 20 OU students without a meal plan.
Another Cultural Awareness week staple is the Global Market, which gives the OU community the chance to sample food, crafts and music from around the world and win prizes. Global Market will be held Thursday, Nov. 8 at 6:30 p.m. in the Pioneer Food Court.
Other Cultural Awareness Week events include:
Monday, Nov. 5
- Opening Ceremony, noon-1 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
- F.Y.I. presents “The Culture of Dance,” 6-8:30 p.m., Oakland Center Gold Room C
Tuesday, Nov. 6
- Xpressiv B.T.Z., noon-1 p.m., Oakland Center Gold Room C
- SPB presents “Remember the Titans,” 9 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
Wednesday, Nov. 7
- Passport Fair, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
Thursday, Nov. 8
- An Evening with Darryl ‘DMC’ McDaniels, 5 p.m., Oakland Center Banquet Room B
Friday, Nov. 9
- Closing Ceremony, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Oakland Center
For more information on the Cultural Awareness Week events, contact the Center for Student Activities at (248) 370-2400 or email@example.com.