Sunday, September 30, 2007
Lit to Film Book Club announces new lineup
The OUAA Lit to Film Book Club began its new year on September 4 with a viewing of "The Painted Veil" and a discussion of the book by W. Somerset Maugham on which it was based. The first meeting was a resounding success.
The book club is sponsored by Kresge Library and the Oakland University Alumni Association. It is held on the first Tuesday of the month; members read the book before the meeting date and have a discussion following the viewing of the film. Meetings begin at 6 p.m. and typically end by
The meeting dates and titles for the rest of the 2007-08 season are as follows:
- November 6 — "The Namesake" by Jhumpa Lahiri
- December 4 — "Notes on a Scandal" by Zoe Heller
- January 8 — "At Play in the Fields of the Lord" by Peter Mattiessen
- February 5 — "The Mosquito Coast" by Paul Theroux
- March 4 — "White Oleander" by Janet Fitch
- April 1 — "House of Mirth" by Edith Wharton
- May 6 — "English Patient" by Michael Ondaatje
- June 3 — "Away from Her" based on Alice Munro’s short story "The Bear Came Over the Mountain"
The group is led by Anne Switzer, assistant professor of information services and outreach librarian at Kresge Library. If you would like more information about the book club or would like to become part of the group, please contact Gail Meyers at (248) 364-6132 or email@example.com. Participation in the book club is a membership benefit available only to current Alumni Association members (excluding the September meeting). To join the Alumni Association, or if you have questions about membership, contact Gail Meyers at (248) 364-6132 or firstname.lastname@example.org.