Monday, January 23, 2006
OU holds first Asian-American Celebration
By Rebecca Wyatt, OU Web Writer
From Jan. 30-Feb. 3, Oakland University will host festivities for the first Asian-American Celebration on campus.
“There is a large Asian population on campus and we wanted something like this to highlight the Asian culture,” said Andy Lam, chair of the Asian-American Celebration.
For many years, Asian student organizations considered having an event like this, but Lam said the hard work of Samantha Hardenburgh, coordinator of student leadership development, and the Asian Pacific American Association led to the development of the event, which he hopes becomes an annual event.
The different Asian organizations on campus teamed up to develop informational programs about art, song, dance and political issues from Asian culture. The activities also explore the difference between Asians raised in America in a variety of households and those raised in Asia.
Many people equate Japan, China, Korea and Vietnam to Asia but forget countries like Pakistan, Russia, India and Afghanistan also fall within the boundaries of Asia.
“We want to show the world Asian shouldn’t be used to group us all together, there is a lot underneath each country and each culture,” Lam said.
For more information on the Asian-American Celebration, check the campus calendar or contact the Center for Student Activities at (248) 370-2400 or email@example.com.
Asian-American Celebration Events
Monday, Jan. 30
- Opening Festivities, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
- Asian Pacific History Workshop, 7-9 p.m., 125 Oakland Center
Tuesday, Jan. 31
- Asian Political Debate, noon-1 p.m., Oakland Center Gold Rooms
- What is spirituality? Asian Religious Beliefs, 7-9 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
Wednesday, Feb. 1
- Fold origami peace cranes, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Oakland Center Main Hallway
- Cultural Performance Night, 7 p.m., Oakland Center Pioneer Food Court
Thursday, Feb. 2
- "East Asia Today," Noon-1 p.m., Oakland Center Lake Superior Room B
- Taste of Asia, 7-9 p.m., Oakland Center Pioneer Food Court
- Movie: “Crash,” noon-2 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge; 7-9 p.m., Hamlin Lounge; 10 p.m.-midnight, Vandenberg Lounge
Friday, Feb. 3
- Chai Tea Party, 1-4 p.m., Oakland Center Fireside Lounge
- First Asian Film Festival: Hong Kong Cinema, 4-11 p.m., Oakland Center Oakland Room