Tuesday, March 8, 2005
OU observes 60th anniversary of Auschwitz liberation
By Rebecca Wyatt, OU Web Writer
Oakland University will mark the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz throughout March and April during “Remembering So We Won’t Forget,” which consists of a series of events to honor the survivors and heroes of the Holocaust.
“Anytime there is any type of milestone like this reached, special attention is paid to it,” said Julie Lichtenberg, development officer for the College of Arts and Sciences, adding as the Holocaust survivors age, many now in their 70s and 80s, it is even more important to mark the anniversary and hear about the history they witnessed firsthand.
The events also are significant as OU prepares to start a Judaic studies program because they are an important supplement to education, Lichtenberg said.
All Remembering So We Won’t Forget events, which are open to the campus community and public, are informative and will give the community a chance to honor those who lived through the Holocaust.
For more information on each event, visit the Rememberinging So We Won’t Forget Web site.
Remembering So We Don’t Forget Events:
- “And Then They Came For me” — March 16-April 10 at Meadow Brook Theatre. For ticket information, call (248) 377-3300 or visit the Meadow Brook Theatre Web site.
- Listening for the Silences: Reflections on Testimonies by Holocaust Survivors — Friday March 18, from noon-1 p.m. in the Oakland Center Gold Room A.
- Dinner with Eva Schloss — Saturday, March 19, at 6 p.m. at Meadow Brook Art Gallery. Seating is limited.
- Altruism in the Service of Art and Literature — Wednesday, March 23, from noon-1 p.m. at Meadow Brook Art Gallery.
- Songs Remembered: Robyn Helzner in Concert — Thursday, March 31, at 7:30 p.m. in Varner Recital Hall. For ticket information, call (248) 370-3013.
- “The White Rose” — March 31-April 10 at Varner Studio Theatre in Varner Hall. For ticket information, call (248) 370-3013.
- Checkered Past: The Holocaust, Resistance, and the Problems of Memory in Munich — Friday, April 8, from noon-1 p.m. in the Oakland Center Gold Room C.
Unless noted above, please call (248) 370-2650 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for reservations.