Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Campus community urged to prepare for planned power and network outages, construction projects
Ongoing construction and routine maintenance projects across the Oakland University campus will have a number of impacts on community members over the coming summer months.
Road, sidewalk and building entrance closures
Much of the university's construction work with significant impacts on vehicular and pedestrian traffic will take place on the south side of main campus. As such, those accustomed to using Pioneer Drive and parking in southern lots are encouraged to adjust their commutes and walking routes by using Meadow Brook Road and alternative lots.
Two projects likely to affect the greatest number of campus community members will be the construction of a roundabout loop at the intersection of Pioneer and Library drives, and the reconstruction of the north-south Dodge Hall sidewalk between the P-38 parking lot and Kresge Library.
Recommended handicapped parking for Kresge Library, Dodge Hall and the Biomedical Research Support Facility will be in P-1, P-43 and P-38.
There are limited changes and impacts to existing construction accommodations on the north end of campus.
- Pioneer Road will be closed between the P-37 and P-35 parking lot entrances, and traffic will be rerouted through those lots starting on May 1 and continuing through August. The University also is reviewing a proposal for reconstruction of Pioneer from P-35 to the P-29 parking structure. Additional information on this project will be released if and when details become available.
- The sidewalk area on the west side of P-38 and north of Library drive will be closed to pedestrian traffic between April 30 and July 1. The east entrances of Dodge Hall will also be closed as a result. As such, those looking to enter buildings in the quad are encouraged to park in the P-38, P-43 and P-1 lots and use the west and south entrances of SEB and Hannah Hall.
- Another area of sidewalk to be closed from May 3 through July 11 is located between the north end of Kresge Library and the southeast corner of Oakland Center. Construction of the Elliott Carillon Tower plaza will restrict pedestrian traffic to Kresge Library from the east and north. As such, library visitors are encouraged to park in the P-1 and P-43 lots and approach from the west.
The current site of the Honors College will be renovated for food service purposes once the college moves to its new home in the new student housing complex. This project will prompt closure of the southeast entrance of Vandenberg Hall, though scheduling has yet to be determined.
- Campus community members should be aware that the P-11 temporary lot is now closed.
- Drivers should also be aware that the circle drive outside North Hamlin Hall will be closed for utility work between April 28 and Aug. 15.
- Indoors, the Oakland Center will see renovation of main level meeting rooms located on the northwest corner of the building. The hallway to them and the northwest Oakland Center entrance will be closed for six weeks starting July 1.
Campus construction update
Despite some challenges related to weather delays, current construction projects are progressing and should be ready to welcome new and returning students to a transformed campus this fall.
The Engineering Center and student housing complex are expected to be complete by early-August, and the new P-32 parking structure is slated to open mid-August. Completion of the new Upper Fields complex is anticipated by October 1, and full completion of the Elliott Carillon Tower and surrounding plaza is expected by early-October. For more information on these projects, see What's New at OU.