Menu Menu

Ask OU


Frequently Asked Questions for Admissions:

Results 1 - 25 of 53

1 2 3
 I am an international student, where/how do I apply for admission to OU? 
If you are interested in an undergraduate program you can visit the How to Apply page and select International Students for detailed application instructions. To speak with an admission advisers, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (800) OAK-UNIV. For graduate studies, you can apply online for Graduate Admissions or you can contact the Graduate Admissions Office at (248)370-3167.
(return to top)

After you receive my completed application, how long will it be before I know if I have been admitted?
Once your application materials are received, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will make a decision within 12 weeks. Admissions decisions are sent by U.S. mail. If you receive a delay decision, you should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (800) OAK-UNIV or (248) 370-3360.

You can check our application status online. Select “Apply for Admission”, then enter the login and PIN you created when you first applied. You may also request a status check by calling the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

(return to top)

Are freshmen allowed to have cars on campus?
All Oakland University students are allowed to have cars on campus and parking is free.
(return to top)

As a transfer student, can I get a scholarship if I attend Oakland University in the winter or summer?
Currently, Oakland only offers scholarships to students entering in the fall semester.
(return to top)

Can I be a guest student on an F-1 visa at Oakland University?
Yes. You must obtain either an undegraduate guest student application or a graduate guest student application and we will be able to process your application.
(return to top)

Can I bring official transcripts in a sealed envelope?
No. When applying for admission at the undergraduate level, the transcripts must be mailed by the sending institution directly to Oakland University and must not be handled by the student. The mailing address for Undergraduate Admissions is:

Undergraduate Admissions
101 North Foundation Hall
Rochester MI, 48309
(return to top)

Do I have to have official transcripts?
We can use unofficial transcripts for the admissions process, however, we must receive the official transcripts before the start of the following semester or you will not be allowed to register or be able to obtain an official credit evaluation.

Official transcripts should be mailed to the Academic Records Office at 101 O'Dowd Hall, Rochester, MI 48309-4401.
(return to top)

Do I need to take a placement exam before I register for classes at orientation?

Some general courses at Oakland, including Mathematics, Modern Language and Writing and Rhetoric, require students to take placement exams or to meet certain criteria. New students are strongly encouraged to complete necessary placement exams prior to attending orientation.  For more information about course placement and testing, visit the Course Placement Web site.

It is also important that you forward your most current ACT scores to Undergraduate Admissions, 101 North Foundation Hall, Rochester, MI 48309-4401 and your Advanced Placement (AP) scores and/or transcripts to Academic Records, 102 O'Dowd Hall, Rochester, MI  48309-4401. Some academic departments use these scores to suggest beginning placements.

(return to top)

Do you offer “English as a Second Language” (ESL) classes?
Oakland University offers the following these ESL courses. These courses are offered through the English as a Second Language Center in the Department of Linguistics and can be taken for credit. You may call (248) 370-2175 for more information.
(return to top)

Does Oakland accept the GED?
Yes, Oakland accepts GED holders based on the level of their total score.
(return to top)

Does Oakland prefer the ACT or SAT?
Oakland University prefers the ACT, but SAT scores can be converted into ACT-like scores.
(return to top)

Does Oakland University have a policy of placing students on a waiting list?
At the undergraduate level, Oakland does not place any students on a waiting list.
(return to top)

How can I find out what courses transfer to OU?
After you are admitted, you will receive an official transfer credit evaluation. All coursework completed with a “C” or better grade is evaluated. You may use transferred courses for general education and major requirements. Academic departments will review transcripts for credits to be used toward major requirements by the end of your first semester at OU.

If you have attended a Michigan community college, you can view our course equivalencies online.

(return to top)

How can I obtain my transcripts from other schools?
To get your transcripts from other schools, contact the Registrar's Office at your prior college or university.
(return to top)

How can I schedule an appointment with an admissions adviser?
Any student who wishes to meet with an admissions adviser may call the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (800) OAK-UNIV to arrange an appointment.

Students who wish to make an appointment regarding graduate admissions should call the Office of Graduate Study at (248) 370-3167.
(return to top)

How can I visit Oakland University's campus?
Oakland is happy to give future students and their families a tour of campus. Please contact us at (800) OAK-UNIV for campus visit information.
(return to top)

How do I apply for a masters program?
Students can apply to a masters program by submitting an application to Graduate Admissions at Oakland University. Applications are available online or paper applications can be requested. Admission requirements and deadlines vary by academic program.

(return to top)

How do I apply for a scholarship?
Oakland does not have a separate scholarship application for academic merit scholarships. Visit the scholarships website for current deadlines. 
(return to top)

How do I apply online?
For undergraduate students to apply online, simply view the online application on the Future Students site. Be sure to keep the login and PIN you created so you check your application status online.

Graduate Student applications are also available at  
(return to top)

How do I transfer my F-1 visa at another school to Oakland?
First you must complete either an undergraduate or graduate application and meet all the requirements for the issue of a new I-20. Students wishing to obtain an I-20 from Oakland University for graduate coursework should also review our international student requirements.
(return to top)

How does an international student get an I-20 or DS-2019?
After the admissions office determines that your file is in order and everything needed has been submitted, your file is sent to the International Students & Scholars Office. There, your I-20 or DS-2019 is prepared and sent to you along with other helpful information.
(return to top)

How does an international student transfer to OU?
For information on transferring to Oakland University, including the admissions process, and transferring credits, please see the transfer section of the Future Students site. Once an international student has been officially admitted to Oakland University, they will receive an admission letter, an I-20 or IAP-66 document, other pertinent information, and a transfer form (for those who are transferring from other institutions). International students transferring from an institution in the U.S. to Oakland University must also follow transfer procedures according to USCIS. To complete this transfer process, students must complete Part I of the transfer document and have the international student adviser from your current institution complete Part II of the transfer document. Have your adviser send or fax the transfer form to the Admission Office. If you do not receive your I-20 prior to your arrival to Oakland University, make an appointment with an OU international student adviser at 157 North Foundation Hall to complete the transfer process.
(return to top)

How long does it take to process my application?
Undergraduate admission: Once we have received your completed application (including all transcripts, etc.),we will make a decision within 12 weeks. You will be notified by mail of the decision.

Graduate admission: The Office of Graduate Study collects all application requirements. Files are then reviewed in one of two ways. For programs that admit students on a rolling basis (admission decisions made on a continual basis), files are sent for review as soon as they become complete. For programs that admit students on a cohort basis (competitive admission for a limited number of seats), files are forwarded to the department for review after the application deadline. Once the academic recommendation is received and a final decision is made, the Office of Graduate Study notifies the applicant of his/her admission status. Once a file is complete and sent to the academic department for review, an applicant can expect to receive a decision letter from the Office of Graduate Study within two-four weeks.
(return to top)

How many classes are taught by graduate assistants?
Less than one percent of classes are taught by graduate assistants.Oakland University is committed to teaching. Senior faculty teach all levels of classes, including introductory courses.
(return to top)

How many credits can I transfer from a community college or four-year college?
A student may transfer half the credits required for the degree from a community college (i.e. if the degree requires 128 credits, you may transfer 64 credits that apply to your degree).  If the student has credit from a community college and a four-year college, the rule applies to the community college credit, but full credit is given from the four-year college courses in which you earn a grade of 2.0 or better.  Even though full credit is given, 32 credits must be taken at Oakland University to obtain a degree.
(return to top)

1 2 3