Menu Menu

Ask OU

Undecided Students

Frequently Asked Questions for Undecided Students:

Results 1 - 11 of 11

How can I see my academic adviser?
All first-year students, as well as undecided and re-deciding upperclassmen will meet with their assigned academic adviser in the First Year Advising Center in 121 North Foundation Hall. For undergraduate students who have earned 28 or more credits and have selected a major, you will meet with your academic adviser in the school/college of the selected major. Please remember that every new student will their academic adviser during their orientation program. You can identify your adviser by going to Graduate student advising is handled at the department level. 
(return to top)

How do I change my name and /or address?

Oakland University students may submit their address changes online through the secure SAIL system using the Personal Information Link. The SAIL system allows convenient 24/7 online access from anywhere with an internet connection as well as keeping your information safe and secure through our password protected system. Online address changes through the secure SAIL system is the university’s preferred way for students to submit their address changes. 

Students wishing to change their address may also do so in-person at either the Registration Office, 100 O'Dowd Hall or Student Financial Services, 120 North Foundation Hall. Photo ID must be presented for any in-person transaction.

In order to process a name change, a driver’s license and either a marriage license, a Social Security card or a court order that reflects the new name are necessary. 
(return to top)

How do I declare a major or change majors?
Undergraduate students who want to declare or change majors must fill out a Change of Major form in the college or school with which you are planning to pursue a program of study. For example, if you switch from Undecided to Psychology, you start the paperwork in the College of Arts and Sciences Academic Advising Office. You will receive more detailed instructions when you start the process. Just remember that some programs impose additional restrictions and/or criteria for admission.  All first-year students should schedule an appointment with their assigned adviser in the First Year Advising Center to change their major.  Graduate students should file a Request for Program Transfer in the Office of Graduate Study in 520 O'Dowd Hall. The policy and form are also available online.
(return to top)

How does OU’s numerical grading system translate to letter grades?
OU’s grading system is numerical and is graduated by tenths with passing grades from 1.0 to 4.0 to a no credit/nopassing grade of 0.0.

The numerical grading scale conversion is:

3.6 to 4.0 = A
3.0 to 3.5 = B
2.0 to 2.9 = C
1.0 to 1.9 = D
0.0 = no credit

The following grade may also be assigned to you for a class. Please check the undergraduate catalog for specific conditions.

S = Satisfactory
I = Incomplete
P = Progress
W = Official Withdrawal
Z = Audit
U = Unsatisfactory
R = Temporary mark assigned by the Registrar in absence of a grade from the instructor

Please refer to the Office of the Registrar’s Web site for additional information.

(return to top)

I'm undecided about my major, where can I go for assistance?
It is common for many students to feel uncomfortable about not knowing their academic major. The Advisers in 121 North Foundation Hall provide direction to students who are uncertain about declaring a major and who are having difficulty in making a career choice. You can contact them at at (248) 370-3227 and make an appointment with one of our professional advisers.
(return to top)

If I am an undecided student, am I required to meet with my academic adviser?
If you are a first-time undecided freshman, you are required to meet with your academic adviser at new student orientation and at least once during your first and once during your second semesters of attendance. If you fail to meet this requirement, you will follow the process outlined in the Advising Resource Center advising policy.

All students are encouraged to meet with their adviser at least once a semester particularly during registration time.

Each school/college at Oakland University has its own adviser. To meet with an adviser for a particular program you will need to contact that school/college.
(return to top)

Is there a formula I can use to calculate my grade point average?
Through the First Year Advising Center, OU offers a calculator that will help you estimate your grade point average.
(return to top)

What courses should I take as an undecided student?
Academic advisers in the Undecided Advising office are prepared to guide students through selection of their general education courses. You will make choices that will allow as much flexibility and exploration of your interests as possible. Your adviser can also suggest beginning courses in majors and minors that will assist your understanding of a particular field of study. You can schedule an appointment to discuss course selection by calling 248-370-3227, or stopping by 121 North Foundation Hall.
(return to top)

What should I do if I am frustrated as an undecided student? I feel like I have no direction and am going to school for nothing.
It is common for many students to feel uncomfortable about not knowing their academic major. The Undecided Advisers in 121 North Foundation Hall provide direction to students who are uncertain about declaring a major and who are having difficulty in making a career choice. You can contact our office and make an appointment with one of our professional advisers at 248-370-3227.
(return to top)

What types of jobs are available for my major?
To find out what type of job is available for your major, you will need to do some investigation. Most majors leave the door open for many different career paths. Your skills, resourcefulness, ambition, luck and experience also play important roles in finding and keeping jobs. The Undecided Advisers in 121 North Foundation Hall are an excellent resource for researching the possibilities. Finally, remember that people are often your best resource. Talk with your adviser, faculty members and others associated with certain majors or careers. They can provide insightful information that may assist you in the decision-making process.
(return to top)

Will my GPA transfer from another college or university?
Only credits, not grades, will transfer to Oakland University. You must achieve a minimum grade of 2.0, or equivalent, in a course for the credits to transfer to Oakland University.  Some programs may use the grades from other schools as part of their internal admission criteria but these grades will not be used to calculate you OU GPA.
(return to top)