The is no Michigan Tapestry Workshop scheduled for 2013. To check on availabilities for a 2013 workshop, click here.
Welcome to the 2012 Michigan Tapestry Workshop
The Computer Science Departments of Oakland University and Michigan State University are teaming up this summer to offer a Tapestry Workshop for high school and middle school Computer Science teachers. The goal of this federally-funded 2-day workshop is to help teachers attract and engage more and diverse students to computer science.
If you are interested in
- Attracting more and diverse students into your middle and high school Computer Science classes
- Influencing the perceptions of
students, parents, guidance counselors, administrators, and other
teachers on the importance of your courses and the opportunities they
- Engaging your students in the exciting and rewarding field of computing.
Then we invite you to apply to attend this summer workshop on attracting and engaging middle and high school student to computer science. For full consideration, please apply before May 1st.
Thanks to the National Science Foundation, NCWIT, CSTA, and university sponsors, the workshops will be tuition-free with lodging and meals provided.
Attendees who complete the entire workshop will be awarded honorariums
of $1,000 to assist with time and travel costs, and to show appreciation
for their participation in the assessment of the workshop program and
The workshop begins midday Wednesday, August 1st and finishes mid-afternoon Friday, August 3rd, 2012.
The goals of the workshop are to share strategies, practices, and good
ideas for teaching computer science. During the workshop, you will also learn about on-going research in both departments that you can leverage in your teaching.
Workshop participants will
- Explore activities for gaining the interest of all students;
- Interact with national experts on teaching and diversity practices;
- Initiate mentoring relationships between college students and their students;
- Hear about the latest in computational research;
- Meet Oakland University and Michigan State University faculty desiring to serve as ambassadors to their schools;
- Form a network of like-minded people for ongoing curriculum discussion and development.
- Learn about computing education resources available to teachers in the State of Michigan.
Please use the following email firstname.lastname@example.org if help is needed or there are questions to be answered.
Development and running of the workshop has been sponsored by the
National Science Foundation (grant 1042452) and by the UVA School of
Engineering and Applied Science and its Department of Computer Science.
Their assistance is greatly appreciated. Additional support is provided by Michigan State University, Oakland University and TechSmith Corporation.