Generous donations from friends of the School of Education and Human Services have made it possible to offer a Student Leader Success Scholarship award for a first-year undergraduate student in the School of Education and Human Services.
The purpose and goal of this award is to recruit first-year undergraduate students from urban settings and urban school districts who have declared elementary education or human resource development as their career interest and program of study. The program will include a mentoring component designed to support students, promote academic excellence, build a sense of community, and develop leadership skills and a sense of professional identity as a teacher. The mentoring program will include topic discussions reflecting current ethical leadership issues that teachers face.
The amount of this award is $5,000 per year, renewable for up to 5 years if the student remains in good standing.
Eligible students for the Student Leader Sucess Scholarship are . .
- Citizens of the United States of America and residents of the State of Michigan.
- Accepted to Oakland University directly from high school and who will be in their 1st year in the Elementary Education or Human Resource Development undergraduate program.
- Full-time students at the University during the Fall and Winter semesters for which they receive the scholarship.
- Students who have identified Elementary Education or Human Resource Development as their career interest and intend to pursue a degree in elementary education or human resource development.
- Preference will be given to students who attended an urban high school or have a strong affiliation with an urban center.
- Students who have a recalculated high school grade point average (HS GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale. (English, Math, Science, Foreign Language and Social Science).
- Demonstrated leaders and/or volunteers in extracurricular and work-related activities.
Download the full Student Leader Success Scholarship description.
2011 recipient Kaylia Scipio with Lisa Reeves,
Student Leader Success Scholarship committee member
If you would like to help the Student Leader Success Scholarship grow, you can donate online or contact the School of Education and Human Services
development office at email@example.com or (248) 370-4233.