POLICY: The Facilities Management Department is responsible for repairs, renovations, alterations, improvements, elimination of safety hazards to campus buildings and grounds, and moving/setup operations. Alterations or modifications to the physical features of University facilities require the approval of Facilities Management (see OU AP&P #310 Building Alterations, Renovations and/or Modifications).
Work Requests/Work Orders: Work Order requests are received by the Work Control Center via:
- Telephone request: (248) 370-2381
- Campus Mail: Work Control Center, Facilities Management Building
- Internet: www.oakland.edu, Click on-Administration, Finance and Administration, and Work Control Center.
All service calls generated by work order requests are dispatched by the Work Control Center. Service calls considered emergencies and/or “quick calls” are handled immediately by a radio call to the “building specialist”. All other calls are considered “routine” and are forwarded to the supervisor of the applicable trade necessary to correct the problem. These calls are scheduled on a first-in, first-out (FIFO) basis, unless higher authority establishes a priority. HVAC trades-personnel are referred to as the “building _specialists” and are assigned specific buildings to cover calls considered emergencies and/or “quick calls”.
When remodeling or alterations to University facilities are requested, approval is required from Facilities Management for review. Service calls are handled by the corresponding area:
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Moving & setup personnel
The Work Request form (Appendix A) should be completed whenever remodeling, altering or requesting service. The form must list all required information and include the Department Head’s signature or authorized representative. The goldenrod copy of the Work Request form should be retained by the requesting Department with the remainder forwarded to the Work Control Center.
Billing of Work Orders:
There are two categories of Work Orders:
- Non-Chargeable Work Orders: Preventive or corrective maintenance services to existing facilities within a general funded Department. These calls are normally considered "routine”.
- Chargeable Work Orders: “New work” services completed for a general funded Department, defined as alterations, renovations, and/or modifications.
All services, regardless of whether the work is “new” or “routine”, for non-general funded activities and Auxiliaries. The billing of chargeable Work Orders is comprised of the costs of actual labor and materials plus a 10% Indirect Recovery Charge. The software program named Computerized Management Maintenance System collects charges monthly and forwards these charges to the Accounting Department for posting to the fund of the applicable Department.