Parent Orientation and Part One of New Student Orientation are held on the same days, however they are separate programs. While your student attends a program purposefully designed to make their transition to Oakland more comfortable and enjoyable, you will participate in parent-specific sessions which address your concerns and questions.
Parent Orientation, a free program for parents of admitted Oakland University students, addresses the following topics:
- parenting a college student
- transitioning from high school to college
- academic programs, support services and advising
- student financial services
- residence halls and commuter services
- campus involvement
- campus safety
- Registration will begin July of 2015
Upon arrival, you will receive a schedule of the day's activities and material regarding campus resources and services. A continental breakfast with OU staff will be provided at each orientation. The morning session is from 8:30-11:30 a.m. After a break for lunch (on your own) from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m, optional afternoon activities are available from 1-2 p.m.:
- campus and residence hall tours
- Meadow Brook Hall tours (tour times vary)
- opportunity to meet individually with financial aid advisers (Parents interested in meeting with financial aid should bring a copy of their student's award notification letter and any financial aid forms that need to be submitted.)
- Community College Partnership Program information sessions (on select dates)
Parent Orientation is designed for parents and guardians of new OU students. The program is not intended for young children.
If you are traveling from a distance and need lodging, view a list of local hotels.
Directions to OU
Please refer to the campus map for directions to campus.
If you drive to campus for orientation, please park your car in parking lot P1 across from North and South Foundation Halls. Directional signs will be posted on campus to assist you. All parking lots are open to students, staff and visitors. Reserved spots are marked clearly. Parents should be aware that parking regulations are strictly enforced. Neither the orientation staff nor the university will assume responsibility for parking tickets.
Check-in for Parent Orientation and Part One of New Student Orientation occurs in two separate locations of the Oakland Center. Directional signs will be posted to assist you. Check-in will begin 30 minutes before the program starts.
Please feel free to dress casually. We recommend dressing in layers to accommodate changing weather conditions and building temperatures. We also suggest that you bring a light sweater or jacket, an umbrella and wear comfortable walking shoes, since you may want to experience a campus and/or residence hall tour.
Accommodations for Persons with Disabilities
If you require special accommodations, please let the orientation staff
know before your arrival by contacting us at (248) 370-GOLD or email@example.com.