Study Nursing Research in Italy
May 17 - May 30, 2014
Important Information for potential students
- We will be staying at a Hotel Milano in Padova, Italia.
- A $700 non refundable deposit is due on or before February 14, 2014.
- Balance is due by April 30, 2014.
- You must register for NRS 452 (Scientific Inquiry II) through the normal Oakland University registration process. Books and supplies must be purchased separately.
- You must be a student in good standing (not on probation)
- You must have a current United States Passport (If you do not have a current US passport, further information is available on the U. S. State Department website.)
- All breakfasts and dinners are provided . Lunch is only provided during the 6 days of class, the remainder are on your own.
- All accommodations are double occupancy. Single occupancy is not available.
- Students should plan to bring $500-$1000 for incidental expenses such as separate tours, shopping, and snacks.
- Students are responsible for their own air travel arrangements (there are some suggestions below about potential sources for airline reservations)
- Centro Ricerca e Formazione (CEREF), our hosts in Italy, will send a prepared guide in late April to assist you with preparations for the trip.
- I would like everyone to have a cellphone to use on the trip. Many cellphone plans currently offer international options. You need to check this out with your cellular provider early. If your provider does not offer an international plan, then consider using a company called PicCell. They supply a cell phone, a charger that uses the local current, and a large number of minutes of local calls for a very reasonable price. You order online, and the cell is delivered either to your home or directly to your hotel in Italy. You just mail the cell back at the end of our trip when you return to the USA. I have personally used this service and found it to be extremely reliable and useful.
- Early in May there will be a mandatory evening meeting with all participants and their families to discuss details of the trip and answer any specific questions you may have.
Some sources for airline reservations
- Note that you need to arrive at the hotel in Padova on May 17, 2014. This means that you will need to leave the US on May 16, 2013 and have a return flight on May 31, 2014.
- I would advise holding off on final purchase of airline tickets until we are sure that we have a sufficient number of participants (16). This information should be available in mid February. Please check back for further updates.
- You should travel directly to the Venice (Marco Polo) Airport.
- Student Universe (Discount Tickets for Students)
- Cheap Tickets
- Last Minute Travel
- Delta Airlines
- Suburban Travel is used extensively by Oakland University for Faculty and Staff travel.
NRS 452 (Research Basis for Nursing Practice)
This course focuses on the research process and evidence-based practice as they relate to professional nursing. This course is reserved for students admitted to the Basic-BSN and the BSN completion sequence. Satisfies the university general education requirement for a writing intensive course in the major. Prerequisite for writing intensive: completion of the university writing foundation requirement.
- Course Objectives
- Identify the relationship between research and practice.
- Identify the components of the research process.
- Use an electronic database to retrieve current research literature.
- Review published nursing research reports for applicability and usefulness in clinical practice.
- Incorporate nursing research findings into planning professional nursing care.
- Examine the role of the baccalaureate prepared nurse in the use of research.
- Topical Outline
- Relationship between research and practice
- Components of the research process
- Searching an electronic data base
- Evidence based practice
- Quality improvement
- Roles of baccalaureate prepared nurse in research
- Faculty: Gary Moore
- Books: I have decided on the books I will be using for the course. I would strongly suggest that you purchase them as early as possible and read both the textbook and study guide at least one time prior to the beginning of class in Italy.
- Burns, N. & Grove, S. K. (2011). Understanding Nursing Research (5th ed.). Philadelphia: Elsevier. (ISBN: 9781437707502).
- Burns, N. & Grove, S. K. (2011). Study Guide for Understanding Nursing Research (5th ed.). Philadelphia, Elsevier. (ISBN: 9781437717051).
Italian health care system workshop
- To introduce the students to the scope, the organization, the characteristics of the Italian health system
- To identify commonalities and differences with the other European and the American health systems
- To describe nursing in the Italian health system
- The Italian health system
- The other European health systems
- Nursing's role and organization in the Italian health system
Board Member ESQH European Society for Quality in Healthcare Director of CEREF Consultant for the Italian Ministry of Health and other public health Agencies, regions, trusts
Nursing education in Italy workshop
Institute of Research and Advanced Education (CEREF)
- Aim: To introduce students to Italian nursing education
- Italian nursing education
- University organization
- Future development in nursing education
- Faculty: Piera Poletti
CEREF - Institute of Research and Advanced Education is a private organization established in Padua (Italy) in 1981.
CEREF was granted approval by the State Commission for crediting in advanced and continuing education for nurses and other health professionals. As a partner of Padova University, CEREF has offered Master programs in Nursing with specialties in Home Care Nursing and Nursing Management.
The Institute, under the leadership of Piera Poletti, CEO and Co-founder, implements research activities and educational programs.
CEREF is an institute within the context of health research and advanced education for nurses and other health professionals. The Institute strives to provide education inclusive of the most updated scientific knowledge, and designed to effectively contribute to enhance effectiveness of care and standards of practice.