Monday, March 18, 2013
Students to register for full year of classes beginning March 18
By Carin Inglis, media relations intern
Beginning at 6 a.m. on Monday, March 18, eligible students will be able to register for classes for the upcoming summer 2013, fall 2013 and winter 2014 semesters. Registration will be available in order of class standing and earned credit hours. A full registration schedule is available at oakland.edu/regschedule.
Before registering for classes, students should meet with their academic adviser to discuss degree requirements, classes to schedule and more. Students can search for their adviser by major or school through the Academic Advising website at oakland.edu/advising
. Graduate students should contact their faculty adviser.
For easier and more effective scheduling, students are encouraged to look over the full list of registration "DOs"
provided by the Office of the Registrar. Some tips for preparation include:
- Check your SAIL account for any holds or unpaid bills that may prevent on time registration.
- Verify that you meet the prerequisites for the course before trying to register for it. Look for the prerequisites in the undergraduate catalog at catalog.oakland.edu or use the class schedule search.
- Have first-choice classes on a list, with a couple of alternatives, to register promptly without having to search when a class is full.
- Print a degree evaluation to monitor progress toward degree.
Students are encouraged to use the new Progress to Degree link in the SAIL portal to run a degree evaluation. When preparing to register for classes, students should calculate their earned credits and check their registration status through SAIL using the following steps:
- Go to mysail.oakland.edu
- Log in using your NetID and password
- Once inside the portal, click on Register for Classes
- Click on Check Your Registration Status (to view any registration permits/overrides, holds)
- Go back to the Registration screen
- Select a term to start registering (start with summer semester 2013)
The summer semester is divided into three sessions. Click here
for a list of all important dates for summer 2013. Dates for the primary summer sessions are as follows:
- Session 1: (8 weeks) Monday, May 6, through Saturday, June 22. Final exams run June 24-26.
- Session 2: (8 weeks) Monday, July 1, through Saturday, August 17. Final exams run August 19-21.
- Session 3: (16 weeks) Monday, May 6, through Saturday, August 17. Final exams run August 19-24.
Students who are attending other universities, but are spending their summer in the Metro Detroit Area may also continue working on their degree by applying to be a guest student at Oakland University. Guest student applications
are available online and should be submitted to the Registrar’s office at the student’s home institution in order to be completed. The application must then be mailed to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at Oakland University. After being accepted as a guest, students should activate their Grizzly ID and NetID accounts and also become familiar with SAIL and eBill.
Accepted students are able to register for summer classes beginning Friday, March 29. Popular classes taken by guest students include a variety of chemistry, biology and physics courses. For more information on being a guest student, visit oakland.edu/summer/guest
. To view summer courses, programs and events, view the summer website at oakland.edu/summer