To rent any of the MTD facilities or equipment, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Varner Hall’s performance facilities can accommodate special needs on a
limited basis. Accessible restrooms are located on the second
floor. These are easily accessed from Varner Recital Hall’s upper level
seating or from the first floor and Studio Theatre, via the elevators at
the Varner Recital Hall entrance to Varner Hall.
For your convenience, we recommend using the elevators near the "Varner
Recital Hall" entrance (parking lot 26) when attending performances at
Varner Recital Hall.
Please contact the Box Office at (248) 370-4578 in advance of the
performance you wish to attend for information and special assistance.
Free parking is available in several lots adjacent to Varner Hall,
including lots 36, 26 and 24. For more information on parking on OU’s
campus, see the parking
Facility, Services and Equipment Rental
MTD's Varner Hall facilities and equipment are available to rent.
To request the use of any MTD facility and/or personnel, submit the Scheduling Form
to the Office of Scheduling, 203 Varner Hall. To request MTD services and equipment, submit the Services and Equipment Request Form
to the Office of Scheduling, 203 Varner Hall.
Lockers are available for students on the first floor of Varner Hall. To
obtain a locker see the departmental secretary in 207 Varner Hall.
The MTD Technology and Resource Lab is located in room 237 in Varner
Hall. The lab contains 12 Macintosh computers, 2 Windows PCs, 8 Korg X50
synthesizers, and various music related software applications.
The MTD Technology & Resource Lab uses the university's PrintWise
system (also known as GoPrint).
You can reach the front desk of the MTD Technology and Resource Lab by
calling (248) 370-2134. If you are interested in working in the lab
please contact the lab manager Carol Ambrogio Wood at email@example.com
Monday 9 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday 9 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday 9 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Thursday 9 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The Lab hours are subject to change throughout the term.
- The MTD Technology and Resources Lab is designed and intended primarily for students in the Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance.
- The lab is intended to support the academic and artistic pursuits of students and faculty in the department, through effective implementation of state of the art technology resources.
- MTD faculty may request to use the lab for teaching purposes during the term. Please contact Steve Bizub (bizub at oakland.edu) to do so.
- In cases where all workstations are taken, students not working on academic or artistic materials may be asked to limit their use of their station.
- Food or drink of any sort is not permitted in the lab. If necessary, students may leave any food and/or drinks in the space between the front desk and the door to the lab.
- Under no circumstances should students install or delete or attempt to install or delete any software on any lab computer. Students should request software installations or upgrades through the lab staff.
- Students are not to make or attempt to make any changes to the configurations of the computers in the lab.
- Students should not leave personal files on their workstation computers after they are finished. Any files left on the computers may be deleted at any time.
- Students may not use the computers for illegal copying of audio or video materials, or for uploading or downloading copyright protected materials through file-sharing applications.
- Students are asked to report any equipment or software problems to the lab staff.
MTD Technology Committee: Steve Bizub, David Kidger, Joe Shively
Computers and Software Available
The lab contains 11 iMacs (2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) and one PowerMac (Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5). Eight of these computers are connected to a Korg X50 synthesizer. The lab also has two Windows PCs.
The following applications are installed on all of the Macintosh computers unless otherwise noted:
- iLife '09
- iMovie HD (the older version of iMovie)
- Sibelius 6
- AudioScore Lite 6
- PhotoScore Lite 5.5.2
- Finale 2009
- Pyware 3D (not installed on Mac 11)
- Practica Musica
- MacGamut 6
- Microsoft Office 2008 (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
In addition to the above, the following applications are installed on specific computers:
- Ableton Live Suite 8 (Mac 7)
- Logic Studio (Mac 12)
- Logic Pro 8
- Soundtrack Pro 2
- Main Stage
- Final Cut Studio 5 (Mac 9)
- Final Cut Pro 5
- Motion 2
- Soundtrack Pro
- DVD Studio Pro 4
- Adobe CS3 (Mac 1 as well as PC 2)
- InDesign CS3
- Photoshop CS3
- Illustrator CS3
- Acrobat Pro 8
We have two PCs running Windows XP. Both computers are running the following software:
- Microsoft Office 2007
- Autocad LT 2009
- Autocad Design Review 2010
In addition to the above, Adobe CS3 is also installed on PC 2.
Course Reserves and Resources
The lab contains numerous music education related books, textbooks, and recordings.
In addition to the music education resources, materials for the following courses are currently available as well:
MUS 332 - Professor Payette
- Folder of weekly assignments
- Berlioz, Lelio
- Schumann, Carnaval
- Strauss, Ein Heidenleben
- Rorem, Evidence of Things Not Seen
- Weill, The Seven Deadly Sins (in a white binder)
- DVD of Weill's The Seven Deadly Sins
- The Music of Berlioz
- Berlioz: Past, Present, and Future
- The Cambridge Companion to Berlioz
- Schumann's Piano Cycles and the Novels of Jean Paul
- Schumann and His World
- "Carnaval, Cross-Dressing, and the Woman in the Mirror" article in Musicology and Difference
- The Cambridge Companion to Schumann
- Richard Strauss's Orchestral Music and the Nerman Intellectual Tradition
- The Development of Melody in the Tone Poems of Richard Strauss
- Richard Strauss and His World
- Strauss Tone Poems
- Kurt Weill in Europe
- Kurt Weill on Stage
- Lies: A Diary 1986-1999
- Settling the Score
MUS 336 - Professor Kujenga
- Black Music of Two Worlds by John Storm Roberts
- Caribbean Currents by Peter Manuel
All resources can be checked out with the staff member on duty. All resources must remain in the lab.