Dance Program Audition Guidelines
Upcoming Dance Program Audition Dates
|Friday, August 22, 2014
|Check back soon for next year's scholarship audition dates for fall 2015 admission
Dance Program Auditions are held five times a year.
Our program includes:
- All levels of ballet, modern and jazz technique
- Emphasis on performance, choreography and teaching
- Courses in kinesiology, dance history, career planning and teaching techniques
- Resident professional company, Eisenhower Dance
- Resident pre-professional company, OU Repertory Dance Company
- Many performance opportunities including two annual main-stage concerts
- Apprenticeships available in the professional company
For Your Audition
- Dancers should dress in leotards and tights (women), gym pant and T-shirt (men). Please, no loose clothing
- Dancers should bring ballet and jazz shoes, and be prepared to dance in bare feet
- The audition will consist of ballet, modern and jazz combinations
- You are required to perform a one minute solo in either modern, ballet or jazz technique
- Please have the music for your solo on CD, cassette or an iPod
- You will have a brief private interview with the dance faculty
- Please allow approximately 3-4 hours to complete audition process
for the application.
Oakland University has two different student dance companies that jointly present two dance concerts each season:
- Oakland Dance Theatre (ODT) accepts dancers with varying levels of dance technique.
- Oakland University Repertory Dance Company (RDC) is a pre-professional company that prepares more advanced dancers for a career in dance performance. First year students are not eligible for RDC.
Auditions are required for both dance companies and are usually held the first week of classes each semester in Studio 132 in Varner Hall. Students who audition are automatically considered for both companies.
Oakland Dance Theatre rehearsals are held Monday and Wednesday evenings beginning at 5:30 p.m. with company class rehearsals to follow from 7-10 p.m. OU Repertory Dance Company rehearsals are held Tuesday and Thursday from 7-10 p.m. and Friday from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. following technique classes. Additional rehearsals are required when guest artists are in residence.