Oakland University’s sail is a stylized version of the sail from the ship of the Greek hero Ulysses. The OU Sail is the official university logo, representing what Oakland has achieved and what it aspires to become.
The stacked Oakland University type treatment logo can also be used. It is easy to read and works well with the fresh, sleek marketing pieces we create. The logos may be produced in black, PMS 872 or reversed in white out of a solid, color field.
This type treatment may be used in electronic and print media as an identifier and graphic element. It is a trademarked word combination and therefore requires a “TM” to be included in all uses. The typeface is ITC Garamond Book. See examples below.
With our focus on the strength of the Oakland brand, it’s important that we treat our department names with consistency.
All units may use the Oakland University word mark with the sail line in combination with their department name in upper lower case ITC Garamond Bold.
Variations of the department logos should be requested from your account manager. Examples below.
The spirit mark should be used almost exclusively for athletics and merchandise materials. Obtain approval from University Communications and Marketing before using either on any publications. The mascot may be introduced for limited academic scenarios, including marketing to prospective students and social work groups.
Only use approved versions of the Oakland University wordmark. Contact your account manager to obtain this logo.
- Do not recreate the wordmark or alter elements of the mark in any way.
- Do not use the wordmark to replace the word “Oakland University” in text.
- Do not combine with other marks, graphic elements, or words except as specified in the College, School and Unit Logos section.
- The logo should maintain proportion when reduced or enlarged.
- The wordmark may be used on giveaway and promotional items and must use a licensed approved vendor. Visit oakland.edu/licensing for more details.
- See the Color Palette section for appropriate color guidelines in reproduction
To maintain consistency in our identity, please avoid the practices below:
For reference, below are a series of discontinued OU logos. DO NOT USE. Please let your account manager know if you have any questions.
Below are the official colors of Oakland University, and have represented the university since its founding. They’re well-known both inside and outside of the Oakland community. Making them a prominent part of our communications is one of the clearest ways to ensure that our materials reflect a cohesive Oakland brand, especially with audiences who are less familiar.