Oakland University’s campus, residence halls and apartments are among the safest in Michigan. Safety procedures and services, like visual escorts to your vehicle or building, are in place to ensure a safe and secure environment for everyone at OU.
Night Watch requires proper ID to enter residence halls during the evening hours and a student ID is required to access stairwells and elevators leading up to the residence floors in Vandenberg and Hamlin. In our smaller res halls, outside doors are locked 24 hours a day and residents must use their room key to enter.
The OU Police Department is on duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and can generally respond to emergency calls within 90 seconds. Emergencies can be communicated by:
- Call 911 from any campus phone
- Call (248) 370-3333 from a cell phone
- Text dispatch at firstname.lastname@example.org
- E-mail dispatch at email@example.com
- Push the button on one of the emergency blue light phones placed strategically around campus
Oakland also encourages everyone to sign up for the text message emergency notification system, which is used in the event of an emergency or school closing.