JAPANESE LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE, B.A.
Students must complete a minimum of 32 credits at the 300-400 level in language, culture and literature, including:
- JPN 314 - Advanced Japanese Grammar (4)
- JPN 316 - Japanese Conversation (2)
- JPN 318 - Japanese Composition (2)
- JPN 355 - Translation: Japanese (4)
- JPN 370 - Introduction to Japanese Literature (4)
- JPN 420 - Japanese Literature – Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries (4)
Plus three of the following:
- JPN 351 - Japanese Civilization (4)
- JPN 408 - Advanced Japanese Conversation and Reading (4)
- JPN 455 - Advanced Translation from English to Japanese (4)
- JPN 457 - Business Japanese (4)
and two corequisites:
- IS 220 - Introduction to Japan (4)
and one of the following:
- IS 300 - Special Topics in International Studies (4) (when the topic is Japan)
- AH 301 - Japanese Art (4)
- HST 370 - Origins of Modern Japan, 1568-1912 (4)
- HST 371 - Twentieth Century Japan (4)
- HST 372 - The Political Economy of Japan (4)
- CIN 350 - Topics in Film (when the topic is Japanese cinema) (4)
- LIT 100 - Introduction to Asian Literature (4)
- LIT 251 - Studies in Foreign Film (when the topic is Japanese cinema) (4)
- LIT 375 - Topics in Foreign Literature (when the topic is Japanese literature) (4)
Students planning graduate work are strongly urged to study a second foreign language recommended by the department. At least 16 credits of those required for the major in any of the languages must be taken at Oakland University.
The department offers selected courses from the catalog as warranted by student needs and availability of faculty.
Go to OAKLAND UNIVERSITY CATALOG for details about the course description.
Specific offerings for each term may be found in the SCHEDULE OF CLASSES.