The International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) extends a warm welcome to all new international students. We hope your experience at Oakland University is positive and we look forward to working with you and getting to know you in the year ahead.
You are about to join Oakland University’s international community. Oakland University enrolls more than 500 international students and scholars from over 60 countries. Your presence enriches the campus in countless ways.
Please follow these steps for summer or fall start date for your smooth transition to Oakland University:
- Read over your Welcome Packet you received from the ISSO including the Summer Welcome Guide or Fall Welcome Guide and read through our on line International Student Handboook.
- Pay the SEVIS fee and schedule your embassy appointment.
- Activate your SAIL account and sign up for your NewID (Oakland email) at http://www.oakland.edu/activate.
- For SUMMER students: Once you receive your VISA sign up for our mandatory one on one orientation that you need at attend within five days of your arrival to Oakland University or start of the summer semester with an immigration adviser by filling out the orientation form or attached in your welcome packet you received in the mail.
For FALL or WINTER students: You can begin Part 1 Orientation by setting up your NetID and password and logging into espace.oakland.edu. You will also need to sign up for the mandatory Part 2 orientation by filling out the orientation form or attached in your welcome packet you received in the mail.
- Start looking into on campus housing or off campus housing. We recommend the on campus International Village.
- Whether you will be living on campus or not you can purchase on campus meal plans.
- Start planning for your mandatory health insurance.
- Review our FAQs.
- 'Like' our Facebook page for updates and need to know information.
- Please make sure to fill out this mandatory data sheet form and bring it with you to the orientation!
Best wishes for success in the year ahead.