The International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) extends a warm welcome to all new international students. We hope your experience at Oakland University is positive and we look forward to working with you and getting to know you in the year ahead.
You are about to join Oakland University’s international community. Oakland University enrolls more than 500 international students and scholars from over 60 countries. Your presence enriches the campus in countless ways.
Please follow these steps for your smooth transition to Oakland University:
1. Read over your Welcome Packet you received from the ISSO including the Welcome Guide Summer or Welcome Guide Fall and read through our on line International Student Handboook.
2. Pay the SEVIS fee and schedule your embassy appointment.
3. Activate your SAIL account and sign up for your NewID (Oakland email) at http://www.oakland.edu/activate
4. Once you receive your VISA sign up for our mandatory orientation for the appropriate term by filling out the orientation form summer or orientation form fall.
5. Start looking into on campus housing or off campus housing. We recommend the on campus International Village.
6. Whether you will be living on campus or not you can purchase on campus meal plans.
7. Start planning for your mandatory health insurance.
8. Review our FAQs.
9. Sign up for our Facebook fan page.
Best wishes for success in the year ahead.