Global Village Program
Integration of Cultural and Economic Understanding through Experiential Learning
Students, sponsoring organization, OU as a team
Fifteen students from multiple countries will be invited to join 15 undergraduate and/or graduate students of OU's School Business Administration and other schools/colleges at Oakland University in a Global Team Experience from June 30 through August 4, 2012.
The goal of this program is to provide students an opportunity to:
- Work as a global team in a business or non-profit setting that sponsors a project,
- Gain an understanding of solving real world problems, and
- Engage and interact with students from different cultures to gain global perspectives.
The program requires the international students enroll in a two-credit project course under the coordination of a faculty member. The teams will be paired with a potential sponsoring organization.
Eligibility requirements for students
- Participating students can be students in science, commerce, arts or engineering program (at the bachelors or post-graduate program). Students younger than bachelors program (e.g. post-secondary) need special permission, to demonstrate aptitude to work on projects and be quick learners.
- The students who complete the program will be get a course credit for two-credits from OU and a certificate of completion from this program.
- Students may be terminated from the program if they are not performing at a satisfactory level or willing to work in teams to complete the projects presented.
- Sufficient knowledge of English language
The students admitted will apply for visa to come to OU and pay their travel expenses, as well as other expenses (see below for an estimate of the expenses). We are looking for donor support to provide scholarships to defray some of the cost, specific scholarship amounts are not yet available. Exchange students will not be permitted to take part-time jobs, except with the sponsoring organization.
The students will meet weekly during the four-week period, follow project management guidelines to complete the project with a sponsoring company, and provide a report/presentation at the end to the sponsoring organization and other students in the program.
The total cost of the program is approximately $2,600, excluding the cost of airfare to Detroit, Michigan and the $280 visa/program application fees.
Tuition for two-credit course (upper level UG course: resident tuition-fee)
Program administration = $20K (covers the teaching/program mgmt.)
A student may be sponsored by an individual by providing a donation to CIBRE Consultancy program to cover tuition, room and board and insurance (at $2.5K/admitted student). The student is responsible for the visa application fee and travel to Detroit.
Exposure to and experience with global companies through projects
Connect to students from other countries, and US, for long-term partnership
Credit for course offered by US university
Examples of previous projects
Oakland University in partnership with:
Hohai University, Nanjing, China and Ford -- Customer Analysis
Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade, China -- Research on Automotive Life Cycle
Beijing Jaitong University, China and GM -- Dealer Analysis
TA Pai Management Institute, India and Oakland County -- Energy Related Research
Togliatti University, Russia and Federal Mogul Corporation -- Supply Chain Research; and Visteon Corporation -- Supply Chain Analysis
Global Village Application
1. Create an Admissions login and record your login and PIN so you can check your application status.
2. Complete the online application. When selecting the application type, choose option 9G. Undergraduate Non-Matriculating. Make sure to indicate your application is for Summer 2012.
3. Download the Global Village Supplemental Application, complete, and submit all materials.
Supplemental Application Packet includes:
- Supplemental Application Page
- Statement of Finances
- Official Bank Statement Form
- Official Affidavit of Support Form
- Official Transcript in English
Only 15 openings are available. Applications will be accepted until 5 p.m., Monday, April 30, or until the 15 openings are filled.
Current SBA Students
Interested in Supporting the Global Village?
SBA students who wish to participate should send email SBA Dean Mohan Tanniru at firstname.lastname@example.org with a statement of interest and resume for consideration as a part of CIBRE consultancy program.
Those interested in supporting this project through contributions to scholarships should contact SBA Dean Mohan Tanniru at email@example.com