Menu Menu

First Year Advising Center
121 North Foundation Hall
2200 N. Squirrel Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4401 (map)
(248) 370-3227

Orientation & New Student Programs
105 North Foundation Hall
2200 N. Squirrel Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4401 (map)
(248) 370-GOLD

Mid-Semester Evaluations Assistance

What is a mid-semester evaluation?

Instructors of 100- and 200- level courses provide mid-semester evaluations (MSEs) to students earning below a 2.0 or “U” (unsatisfactory progress) in a course.

The intent is to identify students who are experiencing academic difficulty early in the semester so they can seek assistance to improve their performance before withdrawing from or failing the course. Instructors are able to enter midterm grades in MySAIL from October 6-26, 2014.

Click on the titles below to learn more about mid-semester evaluations and how you can finish the semester strong!

How do I know if I received an unsatisfactory mid-term grade?

Begin checking your mid-term grades on October 6 in MySAIL by following these directions:
  • Place your mouse over "Academics" and select "My Courses and Grades" from the menu that pops up
  • From the "My Courses and Grades" page select "Grades" and the current term "Fall Semester 2014" at the top of the page

I have an MSE … now what?

There are many campus resources dedicated to helping you get back on track. Don’t delay – take action now!
  • Visit your professor during their office hours (found on the course syllabus) to discuss:
    • Class performance in the course and current course grade
    • Strategies you can use to perform better in the course
    • Strategies for preparing for upcoming tests/assignments 
    • Questions about course content and progress on upcoming assignments
  • If you are a first-year or undecided student, schedule an appointment with your FYAC adviser by calling (248) 370-3227. In the appointment, you’ll discuss:
    • Class performance and understanding of course content
    • Tips for having successful conversations with your instructors about your performance
    • Free university resources such as tutoring and writing assistance
    • How a withdrawal or poor grade in a course may affect your grade-point average, academic progress, financial aid/scholarship renewal criteria and ability to continue at OU
  • Visit The Tutoring Center (103 North Foundation Hall) to utilize several academic resources, including:
    • Free tutoring for 100- and 200- level courses – View the online schedule.
    • Study aids and cards to learn about strategies such as note taking, study tips etc.
  • Receive free assistance from The Writing Center (212 Kresge Library) if you are experiencing trouble in your writing courses. Additional services include:
    • Writer’s Resources – View the proper ways to write and cite your papers, tips on building long term memory and writing a proposal.
  • Attend workshops that will help you gain skills to achieve your academic goals. Click here for a list of workshops.

I am thinking about withdrawing from a course. What do I do?

Before withdrawing from a course, it is highly recommended that you consult with the following campus resources:
  • Academic Advising Office: Contact the First Year Advising Center (121 North Foundation Hall). An academic adviser will discuss how a withdrawal will affect your academic progress. 
  • Student Financial Services (120 North Foundation Hall): A financial aid adviser will discuss how a withdrawal will affect your financial aid status and/or scholarship renewal criteria. You can also review the SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) policy to learn about eligibility requirements.
You may withdraw from a fall 2014 course on MySAIL, in person at Registrar Services, by fax, or by certified mail until November 4, 2014. When you withdraw from a course, you are still responsible for the tuition for the course and will receive a “W” on your transcript.

Edit tab Direct link