Menu Menu

Student Employment

Student employment provides opportunities to enrich your academic experiences and gain invaluable experience for future career goals. Students can search for on campus and off campus positions through OU Careerlink.

OUCareerLink is web-based software where you can search all forms of employment in one convenient location online. To use this website as a student, you must first register for a user account. To create an account, please register online at OUCareerLink. Click on the “Students and Alumni” icon. Fill out the profile form creating your own username and password. View the following brief tutorial for instructions on registering for an account, and searching jobs in the OUCareerLink.
Types of employment found on OUCareerLink:
  • On-campus student employment
  • Off-campus student employment
  • Internships and career related positions
One special program of off-campus student employment is Community Service Tutoring (formerly America Reads), in which Oakland University has partnered with the Troy public schools.  Students in the School of Education, or students with experience in tutoring reading are matched with Troy elementary schools.  Federal Work-Study is required.  Tutoring positions are posted on OUCareerLink early in the fall.  Eligible students are interviewed first by Financial Aid, and then by the participating Troy elementary school.

Edit tab Direct link
A student employee is a student worker whose primary association with Oakland University is for the purpose of obtaining a degree. Student employment is temporary and secondary to the pursuit of a degree. Students are paid every two weeks and are responsible for using the earnings to help pay their educational expenses. Student employment provides on-campus jobs for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking OU students; a few off‑campus jobs are also available.

During the fall and winter semester, students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
  • Enrolled in a degree seeking program
  • Required to be enrolled at least half time to be eligible for Federal Work Study or regular student employment. Half time is defined as 6 credit hours for undergraduate students and 4 credit hours for graduate students. It is the student's responsibility to inform department of changes to enrollment.
While a student is not required to be enrolled for summer semester in order to work a regular student employment position, they must:
  • Be enrolled at least half time in the preceding winter semester and the upcoming fall semester
  • Have not completed graduation requirements
  • If an International student, have a valid I-20 on file with the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO)
Federal Work-Study funds are not available during the summer semester.

Summer Student Campus Corps Internship Program:
Positions are available to returning OU undergraduate students and depend on the availability of funding. Students must meet the following requirements:
  • Must be an undergraduate student in a degree seeking program
  • Must be a Michigan resident
  • Enrolled at least half time in the preceding winter semester and the upcoming fall semester
Community College Partnerships:
Students enrolled in an OU Community College Partnership program must have a combined enrollment of at least half time at both schools.


There are two types of student employment at Oakland University:
  • Federal Work-Study provides jobs for students who demonstrate financial need. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required; awards are made on a first come first serve basis. Eligibility to work in a Federal Work-Study position requires a Federal Work-Study award. Students who are requested by a hiring department to work via Federal Work‑Study must satisfy all general financial aid requirements before they will be eligible to work. Students selected for federal “verification” must submit all requested documents and be reviewed by the financial aid office before an authorization to work will be granted.
  • Regular Student Employment allows on-campus employment for students who do not qualify for Federal Work-Study. The FAFSA is not required.

Maximum hours

A student employee's primary purpose is as a student, therefore employment hours have limitations.  Student employees, except international student employees, cannot exceed 25 hours per week during the fall and winter semesters, including university recesses, breaks, and holidays when classes are not in session.  International students are limited to 20 hours per week.  
Equal opportunity employment

Oakland University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, is committed to compliance with federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. It is the policy of Oakland University that there shall be no discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, height, weight, familial status, marital status, disability, creed, sexual orientation, veteran status or other prohibited factors in employment, admissions, educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints may be addressed to Oakland University, Director of the Office of University Diversity and Compliance, 203 Wilson Hall, Rochester, Michigan 48309-4401.

Relevant Oakland University Policies

It is recommended that all student employees exposed to confidential information, such as educational records, student financial information, health information, and social security numbers, sign the attached  Oakland University Employee and Student Intern Confidentiality Agreement form. The form should be presented to the student employee by the department supervisor. Departments will retain the signed copy in the student worker's employment file. 

It is the department's responsibility to ensure student employees understand confidential information is not to be used in any way, other than what is necessary as part of the job duties. Departments must also ensure that student workers review the following Oakland University's Information Technology and Security Policies:

Edit tab Direct link
Once you are offered an on-campus student employment position, you must complete and submit the following forms and documents to Financial Services before employment can begin. 

For payroll purposes, an original U.S. Social Security card must be presented for photocopy to Student Financial Services in person. The Supervisor and Departmental contact will be notified if additional information is needed or forms are incomplete. The Office of Student Financial Services will notify the Departmental contact via a Work Referral when the student can begin work. Students cannot begin working until the Departmental contact receives a Work Referral from Student Financial Services.

Edit tab Direct link
search on campus jobs
info for employers