Undergraduate Admissions

North Foundation Hall, Room 101
318 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, Michigan 48309-4454
(location map)
(800) OAK-UNIV
(248) 370-3360

Financial Aid FAQ

Financial Aid FAQ

Financial Aid FAQ

The commonly asked questions below will assist students in a partnership program with the financial aid, scholarship, and billing process. The term “partnership school” applies to Macomb Community College, Mott Community College, St. Clair County Community College or Oakland Community College.

1.     How do I get financial aid through a partnership program? 
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online and include Oakland University’s Federal school code which is 002307. You must be admitted to Oakland University and the partnership school in a program leading to a bachelor’s degree at Oakland University.

2.     When do I apply for financial aid for partnership program? 
You are encouraged to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 if you plan to enroll in the school year which begins with the fall semester.

3.     Do I need to complete two FAFSAs? 
No, you complete only one FAFSA and release the results to Oakland University, Federal school code 002307.

4.     Do I need to put both school codes on my FAFSA? 
No, you only need to include Oakland University, Federal school code 002307, on your FAFSA. However, if you are applying for need-based private scholarships at the partnership school, you should include its Federal school code for the community college you attend.

5.     Can I receive financial aid at both Oakland University and the partnership school while in a degree partnership program?
No.  You can only receive federal financial aid at one school. All federal and most state financial aid will be awarded by OU based on the combined credit hours at both schools. Only credits which are transferable to OU are included in the combined credits and are counted when determining enrollment status. Scholarships and awards through private agencies might not honor enrollment at both schools. You are encouraged to contact private agencies which have provided the awards and verify their policies. See enrollment requirement examples

6.     If I take all my classes at the partnership school while in a partnership program, will I still get my financial aid from Oakland? 
Yes.  All federal and most state and external agency financial aid are awarded through OU.  However, you might receive a state award or a private agency award which can only be processed through the partnership school.  OU scholarships and grants are only applicable during fall and winter semesters of full-time attendance in OU credits (see question 11 for additional information). 


7.     To receive my financial aid, do I need to take a certain amount of credits at both schools? 
To maximize your financial aid package, you are encouraged to enroll as a full-time student which is 12 or more credits.  You can enroll in any combination of credits between both OU and the partnership school or you can enroll in credits at only one school.  You can change the number of credits you take at each school each semester.  (If you have been awarded an OU scholarship or grant, please see question 11 for additional information).


8.     When I complete the FAFSA, how will I know the amount of financial aid I will receive? 
You will receive an award notification from Oakland University which shows the amount of aid you received and the financial aid program(s) from which you have been awarded.


9.     If I receive a private scholarship at the partnership school and don’t complete the FAFSA, can I still receive my scholarship? 
Yes, a private scholarship from a partnership school can be used to pay tuition charges at that partnership school. 


10.  If I receive a scholarship or grant from Oakland University and don’t complete the FAFSA, can I still receive my scholarship? 
Yes, please see question 11 for additional information on OU scholarships and grants.


11.  Are there any conditions attached to Oakland University scholarships and grants? 
Yes.  If you receive an OU scholarship, you must enroll in full-time study (minimum 12 credit hours) in OU credits for the fall semester of your admission year or the award will be permanently cancelled.  In subsequent semesters, you must enroll in full-time study by combining enrolled credits at OU and OCC for your scholarship or grant to remain active; however, the scholarship or grant will only be applied to your OU bill for the semesters in which you are enrolled in at least 12 credits at OU.  Additional renewal criteria may apply.  If you receive a scholarship from the partnership school, you must enroll at that school for the total credits required for their scholarship.


12.  Are Oakland University general fund scholarships and grants renewable? 
Yes. Awards are renewable if renewal criteria are met.


13.  When I register for classes at the partnership school, how will my tuition be paid? 
You will be required to pay the partnership school’s tuition to that school by their established due date. Financial aid will pay to your OU student account.  If you do not have any OU charges or your financial aid is in excess of those charges, you will receive a financial aid refund.  You can use your refund to pay your bill at the partnership school or to reimburse yourself if you had previously paid the tuition.


14.  When I register for classes at Oakland University, how does my financial aid pay for my classes at Oakland? 
Financial aid will pay to your Oakland University student account. Charges not covered by financial aid are your responsibility to pay.


15.  If I have an unpaid bill at Oakland University or my partnership school, can I register for courses? 
Past due bills at OU and/or your partnership school will prevent future semester registration at both schools. For example: If you are pre-registered for courses for the fall semester at Oakland and incur charges for a prior semester, you might be deregistered for an upcoming semester at both schools.


16.  How do I get money to buy my books? 
Oakland begins to disburse financial aid up to 10 days before the first day of the semester provided all financial aid requirements are met. If your financial aid is more than your OU charges, a refund will be issued. Refunds are sent within 14 days of disbursement to the student’s current address on record at OU or through direct bank deposit. You can use your refund to purchase books. If you wish to purchase books before you receive your refund, you will be responsible for the method of payment. 


17.  What happens to my aid if I drop a course? 
Your aid will be based on your enrolled credits on the last day to drop a course with a 100% refund. If your financial aid had previously disbursed and your enrollment status has changed, your financial aid will be adjusted accordingly. You will be required to return any funds refunded to you. The date is published by the Registrar’s Office for each semester.


18.  What happens to my aid if I withdraw from all my courses at Oakland University and the partnership school? 
If you withdraw from all your courses at Oakland University and the partnership school within 60% of the semester, your federal aid will be prorated to determine your eligibility. In most cases, students are required to repay all or most of the federal aid they received. If you withdraw from courses within the 100% refund period, all aid will be adjusted or cancelled. These dates are published by the Registrar’s Office for each semester. 


19.  Can athletes participate in a partnership program? 
Athletes participating in NCAA sponsored sports programs are not able to participate in a degree partnership program. Additional restrictions exist for some club sport programs. Be sure to raise the issue of eligibility before participating in any club sport.


20.  Can international students (students in the U.S. on an F-1 visa) participate in a partnership program? 
International students do not qualify for a degree partnership program.