Satish K. Walia
Associate Professor, Ph.D.
Lab Location: 315 DHE, 319 DHE, 322 DHE
Degrees: Ph.D. Mahrishi Dayanand University, 1980
- BIO 421/521 Medical Microbiology
- BIO 319 General Microbiology
- BIO 441/541, Microbial Biotechnology
- BIO 307 Introduction to Human Microbiology
Research. Molecular Biology of Bacterial Antibiotic Resistance Genes and degradation and toxicity of organic chemicals.
Satish K. Walia studies molecular mechanisms of antibiotic resistance in bacteria and biodegradation of xenobiotics such as polychlorinated biphenyl,nitrotoluenes, and the mutagenic properties of their biodegradation products. He has developed gene probes to monitorexpression of catabolic genes during in-situ bioremediation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, gasoline, and PCBs.
Recently, his laboratory discovered emergence of infectious multiple antibiotic resistant bacteria Vancomycin resistant in amphibian feces, farm soil and urban backyard soil. Studies on the prevalence and the mechanism of resistance are in progress. He has authored over 50 papers and presented his research at national and international symposia and meetings . His research has been supported by the Evironmental Protection Agency, General Motors, and local area hospitals. Several students at the doctoral, masters, and undergraduate levels have participated in his research and have co-authored publications. In recognition of his contributions to the profession of microbiology, he is an elected Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology.
- Rana SW, Kumar A, Walia S, Berven K, Cumper K, Walia SK. 2011. Isolation of Tn 1546 like Elements in Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus faecium Isolated from Wood Frogs: An Emerging Risk for Zoonotic Bacterial Infections to Humans. J Applied Microbiology; 110 (1) : 35-43.
- Rana SW, Walia S, Rana J, Kumar A, Walia SK. 2011. Occurrence of ESBL Producing Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria on Iceberg Lettuce Used for Human Consumption. Society for Industrial Microbiology (SIM) 61st Annual Meeting. Abstract P75, Page 154.
- Walia S, Rana SW, Rana J, Kumar A, Walia SK. 2011. Prevalence and Antibiotic Susceptibility of Commensal Bacteria Found on Green Salad Used for Human Consumption. Society for Applied Microbiology (SfAM) Summer Conference 2011. Abstract P63, Page 44.
- Walia S, 2005. “Ready to Eat Spinach Bears Tough Microbes” Highlighted in food science section of Science News; 167: (26), 414.
- Walia S, Richardson S, Walia S, Berven K, Walia S. 2005. Occurrence of Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus faecium in Amphibian Feces. Meeting of Minds XIII Journal of Undergraduate Research; 7: 305-310.
- Walia, S.K.;A. Kaiser, M. Parkash and G.R. Chaudhry. 2004. Self-transmissible antibiotic resistance to ampicillin streptomycin and tetracyclin found in Escherichia coli isolates from contaminated drinking water. Journal Environmental Science and Health, Part A - Toxic/Hazardous & Environmental Engineering, Vol. A39, No. 3, pp. 651-662
- Walia, S.K.; S. Ali-Sadat and G.R. Chaudhry. 2003. Influence of nitro group on biotransformation of nitrotoluenes in Pseudomonas putida strain OU83. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology.76:73-81
- S. Walia, S. Ali- Sadat and G.R. Chaudhry. " Influence of nitro group on the biodegradation of nitrotoluene in Pseudomonas putida OU83". Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, (2003).
- S. Walia, S. Ali-Sadat, R. Brar, G.R. Chaudhry, "Identification and mutagenicity of dinitrotoluene metabolites produced by a Pseudomonas putida OU83". Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 73: (2002), 131-139.
- G. Chaudhry, A. Mateen, B. Kaskar, M. Sardessai, M. Bloda, A.R. Bhatti and S.K. Walia. "Induction of carbofuran oxidation to 4-hydroxycarbofuran by Pseudomonas sp. 50432". FEMS Microbiol Lett. 214: (2002), 171-176.
- A. Bhatti,. A.Alvi, S. Walia and G.R. Chaudhry. "pH-Dependent Modulation of Alkaline Phosphatase Activity in Serratia marcescens.Curr Microbiol". 45: (2002), 245-249.
- S. Walia, L. Shi, A.A. Khan, B.Joshi and G.R. Chaudhry "Sequence analysis and molecular characterization of a nitrocatechol dioxygenase from Pseudomonas putida." J. Environ. Sci.Health. 37: (2002), 379-391.
- B. Joshi, and S. Walia, "PCR amplification of metapyrocatechase gene sequences from naturally occurring hydrocarbon degrading bacteria isolated from petroleum hydrocarbon contaminated groundwater." FEMS Microbiol. Ecol. 19 : (1996), 5-15.
- B. Joshi, and S. Walia. Detection of metapyrocatechase homologous genes in petroleum hydrocarbon contaminated groundwater by polymerase chain reaction. J. Microbiological Methods. 27: (1996), 121-128.
- F. Butterworth, P. Pandey, R.M. McGowen, S. Ali-Sadat and S. Walia, "Genotoxicity of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs): recombinogenesis by biotransformation products." Mutation Research. 342: (1995), 61-69.
- S. Ali-Sadat, K. S. Mohan and S. K. Walia, "A novel pathway for the biodegradation of 3-nitrotoluene in Pseudomonas putida." FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 17: (1995), 169-176.
- B. Joshi, and S. K. Walia,. "Characterization by Arbitrary Primer-PCR of polychlorinated biphenyl degrading strains of Comamonas testosteroni isolated from PCB-contaminated soil." Canadian J. Microbiology. 41: (1995), 612-619.
- K. Mohan, and S. Walia. "Detection of soluble methane monooxygenase producing Methylosinus trichosporium OB3b by polymerase chain reaction." Canadian J. Microbiology. 40: (1994), 969-973.
- B. Joshi, K.S. Mohan and S. K. Walia, "Polymerase chain reaction: Application in environmental diagnosis and monitoring of microbes in bioremediation." Microbes for Better Living. 1: (1994), 197-207.
- T. Madhavan, L. Shi, S. Vijan, E. Perej, and S. Walia, "Molecular typing: use in studying upper respiratory colonization in elderly nursing home residents." Prov. Hosp. Med. Bull. 6: (1993), 13-16.
- T. Gibson, A. Abdul, W. Hackett and S. Walia, "Microcosm studies of trichloroehtylene biodegradation by indigenous groundwater microbes." General Motors Research Report EV 409. 1993.
- S. Walia, and A. Khan. Molecular basis of bacterial degradation of polychlorinated biphenyls. (1992), 415-418. In V.S. Malik, P.Sridhar, M.C. Sharma and H. Polasa (ed)., Industrial Biotechnology. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Bombay.
- S. Walia, "Assessment of bioremediation applications: Analysis of field site case histories of in situ bioremediation." National Center for Manufacturing Sciences, Ann Arbor, MI. 1992.
- A. Khan, and S. Walia, "Use of a genetically engineered Escherichia coli strain to prodice 1, 2-dihydroxy-4'-chlorophenol." Appl. Environ. Microbiology. 58: (1992) 1388-1391.
- S. Walia, A. Khan, N. Rosenthal and S. Ali-Sadat. 1992. Molecular characterization of biphenyl/chlorobiphrenyl degradation genes and application of cbpC gene probe in detecting bacteria capable of degrading polychlorinated biphenyl. Proc. Korean Soc. Biol. Sci. 1: (1992) 85-98.
- A. Khan, and S. Walia, "Expression, localization and functional analysis of polychlorinated biphenyl degradation genes cbpABCD of Pseudomonas putida." Appl. Environ. Microbiology. 57: (1991), 1352-1362.
- S. Mosier, M. Nakao, M. Herman, S. Walia, N. Rosenthal, C. Hurd, and V. Moudgil, 1991. Progesterone binding in a clinical isolate of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 287: (1991), 160-166.
- A. Khan, and S. K. Walia, "Identification and localization of 3-phenyl catechol dioxygenase and 2-hydroxy-6-oxo-6-phenylhexa-2, 4-dienoate hydrolase genes of Pseudomonas putida and expression in Escherichia coli." Appl. Environ. Microbiology. 56: (1990), 956-962.
- S. Walia, A. Khan and N. Rosenthal, "Construction and application of DNA probes for the detection of polychlorinated biphenyl degrading genotypes in toxic organics contaminated soil environments." Appl. Environ. Microbiology. 56: (1990), 254-259.
- A. Khan, and S. Walia, 1989. Cloning of bacterial genes specifying degradation of 4-chlorobiphenyl from Pseudomonas putida strain OU83. Appl. Environ. Microbiology. 55: (1989), 798-805.
- T. Madhavan, T. Price, B. Fitzsimons and S. Walia, "In vitro evaluation of the antimicrobial effect of norfloxacin and ofloxacin in combination with aminoglcoides". Rev. Infect. Dis. 11: (1989), 1041.
- A. Khan, A., R. Tewari and S. Walia, " Molecular cloning of 3-phenylcatechol dioxygenase involved in the catabolic pathway of chlorinated biphenyl from Pseudomonas putida and its expression in Escherichia coli. " Appl. Environ. Microbiology. 54: (1988), 2664-2671.
- S. Walia, T. Madhavan, T. Williamson, A. Kaiser and R. Tewari, " Usefulness of protein patterns, serotyping and plasmid DNA profiles in the epidemiologic finger printing of Pseudomonas aeruginosa." Eur. J. Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. 7: (1988), 248-255.
- S. Walia, T. Madhavan, P. Reuman, R. Tewari and D. Duckworth, "Evaluation of plasmid profiles klebocin types in epidemiologic studies of infections by Klebsiella pneumoniae". Eur. J. Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. 7: (1988), 279-284.
- S. Walia, , R. Tewari, G. Brieger, V. Thimm and T. McGuire, 1988. Biochemical and genetic characterization of soil bacteria degrading polychlorinated biphenyl, (1988), p. 1621-1632. R. Abbou (ed), Hazardous Waste: Detection, Control and Treatment. Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam. Symposium Paper.
- S. Walia, T. Madhavan, T. D. Chugh and K. B. Sharma, 1987. "Characterization of self-transmissible plasmids determining lactose fermentation and multiple antibiotic resistance in clinical strains of Klebsiella pneumoniae." Plasmid. 17 : (1987), 3-12.
- S. Walia, and D. H. Duckworth, "The structural relationship of the delta trasfer factor to two colicin Ib (ColIb) plasmids. " J. Gen. Microbiology. 132: (1986), 3261-3268.
- S. Walia, D. R. Arora, T. D. Chugh and K. B. Sharma, "Plasmid linked mercury and zinc resistance in Klebsiella pneumoniae." Indian J. Med. Res. 83: (1986), 369-374.
- L. Ingram, A. S. Benschoter, V. C. Carey, K. M. Dombek, W. A. Holt, Y. A. Osman and S. K. Walia, " Biochemical and genetic improvements of Zymomonas mobilis." Biomass. 6: (1984), 131-143.
- S. Walia, V. C. Carey, B. P. All, III and L. O. Ingram, " Self-transmissible plasmid in Zymomonas mobilis carrying antibiotic resistance." Appl. Environ. Microbiology. 47: (1984), 198-200.
- V. Carey, S. K. Walia and L. O. Ingram, " Expression of the lactose operon in Zymomonas mobilis." Developments in Industrial Microbiology. 25: (1984), 589-586.
- S. Walia, V. C. Carey, B. P. All, III and L. O. Ingram, "Occurrence of R-plasmid in Zymomonas mobilis." Developments in Industrial Microbiology. 25: (1984), 485-490.
- V. Carey, V. C., S. K. Walia and L. O. Ingram, "Expression of a lactose transposon Tn951 in Zymomonas mobilis." Appl. Environ. Microbiology. 46: (1983), 1163-1168.
- S. Walia, and D. H. Duckworth, "Construction and analysis of miniplasmids of colicin 1b plasmid." Plasmid. 10: (1983), 308-312.
- S. Walia, G. B. Dunn, K. Rose, T. Pinkerton, N. Muzyczka and D. H. Duckworth, 1982. "Restriction enzyme cleavage map of the colicin 1b plasmid." Molecular and General Genetics. 185: (1982), 37-42.
- T. Chugh, U. Subherwal, D. R. Arora, H. Kaur, R. Sikka and S. K. Walia, "Klebocin typing: A national level survey." Indian J. Med. Res. 75: (1982), 791-795.
- T. Pinkerton, N. Muzyczka, S. K. Walia, G. Dunn, K. Rose and D. Duckworth, "T5 bacteriophage growth in E. coli containing cloned Pst 1 restriction fragments of the colicin 1b plasmid." Gene. 16: (1981), 89-96.
- D. Duckworth, G. B. Dunn, T. Pinkerton, K. Rose and S. K. Walia, "The relationship between colicin activity and the abortive infection of T5 bacteriophage in Escherichia coli (ColIb). " J. Virology. 37: (1981), 916-921.
- S. Walia, P. N. Gupta, D. R. Arora and T. D. Chugh, "Trimethoprim-sulphamethoxazole resistance conferred by R-plasmids in clinical isolates of Salmonella typhimurium in Haryana State." Indian J. Med. Res. 74: (1981), 89-79.
- S. Walia, D. R. Arora, D. V. Vadehra and T. D. Chugh, "Alternations in induced oxytetracycline resistant Staphylococcus aureus." Indian J. Med. Res. 73: (1981), 173-179.
- S. Walia, D. R. Arora, D. V. Vadehra and T. D. Chugh, " Induction of oxytetracycline resistance in Staphylococcus aureus." Indian J. Expl. Biol. 18: (1980), 1215-1216.
- S. Walia, T. D. Chugh, K. B. Sharma, "Prevalence of R-plasmids in Klebsiella pneumoniae." Indian J. Med. Res. 71: (1980), 92-95.
- T. Chugh, S. K. Walia and U. Sabherwal, "Bacteriocin (Klebocin) sensitivity typing as an epidemiological marker of Klebsiella pneumoniae" Indian J. Med. Res. 71: (1980), 195-202.
- T. Chugh, S. K. Walia, U. Sabherwal and D. R. Arora, "Klebocin typing of Klebsiella pneumoniae." Indian J. Med. Res. 69: (1979), 222-225.
- S. Walia, T. D. Chugh, K. B. Sharma and B. Bhat, "R-plasmid linked lactose fermentation in Klebsiella pneumoniae." Indian J. Med. Res. 70: (1979), 710-714.
- S. Walia, and T. D. Chugh, "Transmissible drug resistance among Klebsiella spp. In urinary tract infection." Indian J. Pathol. Microbiology. 22: (1979), 153-157.
- S. Walia, D. V. Vadehra and T. D. Chugh, "Inhibition of Staphylococcus aureus lipase by furazolidone." Indian J. Path. Microbiology. 21: (1978), 337-340.
- V. Sharma, V. K. Singh, T. D. Chugh and S. K. Walia, "1, 2, 5-thiadiazol derivatives: Part II. Synthesis and biological activity of N-substituted 5-(benzo-2, 1, 3-thidiazolyl), methyl-and 6-(5-chlorobenzo-2, 1, 3-thindiazoly) methyl-isothiouronium bromides." Indian J. Chemistry. 158: (1977), 968-969.
- A. Kalia,, N. C. Chaudhry, T. D. Chugh and S. K. Walia, "Preliminary antimicrobial studies of Eurphorbia (Drcunculoids Lam)." Indian Drugs and Pharmaceutical Industry. 1: (1977), 1-4.