Jobs at OU
School of Medicine
Professional & Continuing Education
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Current Student Resources
Graduation & Commencement
Give to OU
Visitors & Friends
Department of Music, Theatre & Dance
Meadow Brook Hall
Meadow Brook Theatre
OU Art Gallery
Golf and Learning Center
Faculty & Staff
Academic Human Resources
University Human Resources
Center for Excellence in Teaching & Learning
Institutional Research & Assessment
Report a Behavioral Concern
Select a year to see a snapshot through OU's groundbreaking history
Meadow Brook Hall
The home and its furnishings were turned over to the university to fulfill the wish in Mrs. Wilson’s will that The Hall be operated as a cultural center.
Built as a summer retirement home for Alfred and Matilda Wilson, the Frank Lloyd Wright style, 11,400-sq.-ft. house is now the official residence for OU's President.
The two-story, 2,000 sq.-ft.-homes were built around 1918 and once served as residences for Meadow Brook farm staff. They are now used by Greek organizations.
John Dodge House
John and Matilda Dodge purchased this farmhouse in 1908 to use as a country home on weekends. They eventually purchased eight adjoining farms to make up the 1,500-acre Meadow Brook Estate.
North and South Foundation Halls
The first buildings on campus were named to recognize the work of the MSUO Foundation, a group of 50 community leaders whose work influenced the university's liberal arts focus.
The Oakland Center was designed to be the main student center. While the building has seen many changes and several expansions, its general purpose has always remained the same.
Hannah Hall of Science
John Hannah, who is the former president of Michigan State University, helped establish Michigan State University - Oakland. In 1961, the building was used for temporary housing.
Sebastian S. Kresge, founder of the Kresge store chain and creator of the Kresge Foundation, donated $1.5 million to build the original library building.
Anibal and Fitzgerald Houses
Benjamin H. Anibal was a retired chief engineer at Pontiac Motors. Harold A. Fitzgerald was the publisher of the Pontiac Press. Fitz was the only one of the first four dorms that was coed.
Mr. and Mrs. Harry M. Pryale of Bloomfield Hills made this building possible through a gift from the Pryale Foundation. The former residence hall now houses the Department of Psychology.
Kettering Magnetics Test Laboratory
The lab was the result of a hobby begun in 1935 by Charles F. Kettering, head of General Motors' Physics Research Laboratory. It was absorbed by the Department of Physics in the '70s.
Howard C. Baldwin Memorial Pavilion
The Baldwin Pavilion was named after Howard Baldwin, trustee and vice president of the Kresge Foundation and member of many Detroit financial institutions.
During the construction of the 200-bed facility, a shortage of tile workers along with an electricians and sheet metal workers strike forced students to triple up in existing dorms for fall 1964.
Built in 1965, the terrace was named after Mr. and Mrs. George T. Trumbull. It was made possible by a gift in excess of $80,000 from the Trumbulls.
Van Wagoner House
Students called OU's fifth residence hall "Dorm Phyve." It was ultimately named after former Michigan governor Murray D. Van Wagoner in honor of his contributions to higher education.
Matilda R. Wilson Hall
Matilda Dodge Wilson and her second husband, Alfred Wilson, founded Michigan State University - Oakland with a gift of $2 million and their 1,500-acre estate.
Meadow Brook Theatre
Acclaimed director John Fernald, head of London’s Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, established the theater and original company. The curtain rose for the first time on Jan. 4, 1967.
Named for Arthur Vandenberg, a U.S. senator from Michigan who actively participated in the formation of the United Nations, OU’s sixth residence hall has seven floors.
Dodge Hall of Engineering
The building was named after John F. Dodge and Horace E. Dodge for contributions to automotive engineering. John, the co-founder of Dodge Brothers Motor Cars, was Matilda Dodge Wilson’s first husband.
Delos Hamlin was the chair of the Oakland County Board of Supervisors and served on the MSUO Foundation Board. At nine stories, Hamlin becomes the tallest building on campus.
Graham Health Center
The building features offices, living quarters for around-the-clock medical attendants, examination rooms, first-aid room, a therapy room, six hospital wards and two isolation wards.
Varner Hall of Performing Arts
D.B. "Woody" Varner, vice president at MSU, met with John Hannah at Meadow Brook Hall in ‘56 and agreed to the university expansion, serving as the first chancellor of MSU-Oakland from 1958-70.
Sent as unassembled parts to the university, the 416-sq.-ft. facility houses a telescope built by OU student Jerry Persha, the Physics Club and OU President Donald O’Dowd’s son, Danny.
Central Heating Plant
Prior to 1974, central heating was in the basement in North Foundation Hall. As campus grew, additional heating systems were required. Hence, the construction of the current plant.
Police and Support Services Building
This building houses the police department, the key and print shops, lost and found, mail services, and more. You’ll often see the Grizzlies Racing team wrenching away in the garage.
Jan and Don O'Dowd Hall
Donald O'Dowd taught psychology, was appointed dean in 1961 and later served as provost. He then served as OU's second chancellor before serving as the first president from 1970-79.
George T. Matthews Apartments
George T. Matthews was an OU charter faculty member for the College of Arts and Sciences. The 48 units were constructed in hopes of attracting more graduate students.
The pavilion was built in 1935 for use as a riding ring. Restoration converted the Riding Hall into a conference and exhibition facility used by OU INC.
Facilities is involved in all aspects of the campus buildings, from capital planning (new buildings and remodels), to sustainability and energy management, to day-to-day maintenance and moves.
Building and Grounds
This is the hub for ensuring that Oakland’s 2 million square footage of academic and auxiliary buildings and 1,443 acres are professionally maintained and groomed.
Known as "The Bubble," it's used for practice by nearly all of OU’s athletic teams during the winter months. When the O’rena was being built, it was used for home basketball games.
Science and Engineering Building (SEB)
This energy-efficient building houses The School of Engineering and Computer Science and Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Engineering and Mathematics departments.
Hollie L. Lepley Sports Center/Intramural Building
Hollie L. Lepley guided the first recreation program at MSU - Oakland. He was dunked in the pool at the dedication. The Lepley Sports Center is now part of the Recreation and Athletics Center.
Recreation and Athletic Center
The Hollie L. Lepley Sports Center was built in 1962 where the Rec and O’rena now stand. Local artisan Rocky Martina made the 20-foot stained glass panel of the OU Sail.
Trustees James Sharp and Henry Baskin disliked the original design plans due to its likeness to Jackson Prison. "Let's make it less like an institution to be sentenced to," Baskin said.
The structure (known as P-29) has three levels and 550 parking spots. It was built to alleviate the parking difficulties on the east side of campus.
Carlotta and Dennis Pawley Hall
It's home to the School of Education and Human Services and the Lowry Center for Early Childhood Education, formerly housed in converted chicken coops once part of the Meadow Brook estate.
Ann V. Nicholson Student Apartments
The six tudor-style apartment buildings can hold up to 459 residents in 132 units. The clubhouse, or "4000 Building," also contains offices and resident mailboxes.
Oakland Center expansion
Following renovations and the addition of the Pioneer Food Court in the 1990s, a two-story, 30,000 sq.- ft.-expansion featuring the semi-circular glass front was added in 2003.
Grizzly Oaks Disc Golf Course
This student-created, 18-hole course is located just off P-11 and the upper athletic fields. It's intertwined with a walking/jogging trail, free and open to the public.
Human Health Building
The state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly academic facility helps fortify Southeast Michigan’s reputation as a center of expertise in the health care field.
The new home of the School of Engineering and Computer Science will include state-of-the-art instructional, research and development space designed to foster student learning and creativity.
Elliott Carillon Tower
Drawing on Oakland's rich stake in music and culture, the 151-foot carillon tower will be complete with a water fountain and garden to become a centerpiece for the OU campus.
The housing complex will welcome more than 500 freshmen and sophomore students. It will incorporate The Honors College and classrooms, a café, and space for student meetings and studying.
An upgrade will accommodate NCAA Division I athletic events and a variety of recreational activities.
A four-level structure will boost parking availability by more than 10 percent.
Oakland University | 2200 N. Squirrel Road, Rochester, Michigan 48309-4401 | (248) 370-2100 |
Coordinate map of Auburn Hills Entrance
2013 Oakland University |
Policies & Regulations