Details on upcoming events coming soon.
Click the links below for more information about previous events hosted by WISE@OU. Videos are included on the webpages for the tenure workshops and AHR session.
Balancing Academic Careers and Life Demands (WISE@OU and CETL Workshop) - April 7, 2014
- This discussion provided faculty with advice to manage the responsibilities of work and home life, as well as provided an opportunity for faculty to share their experiences and ask questions. Both nontenured and tenured faculty attended this event. You can find a recording of this session at the CETL e-Space page.
Annual Sigma Xi Lecture: The Physics of NASCAR, with guest speaker Dr. Diandra L. Leslie-Pelecky (support provided by WISE@OU) - March 24, 2014
WISE@OU presented at the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts, and Letters Conference at Oakland University on February 28, as well as participated in the NSF ADVANCE Program Workshop in March in Alexandria, VA.
Mentoring Undergraduates/Graduate Students in STEM Research (WISE@OU and CETL Workshop) - February 18, 2014
- Panelists discussed best practices in mentoring student researchers, including how to assist student development while accomplishing your own teaching and research goals, how to set clear expectations for student researchers, and how to meet research deadlines and needs. Attendees included both tenured and nontenured faculty. You can find a recording of this session at the CETL e-Space page.
Balancing Teaching and Research in STEM (WISE@OU and CETL Workshop) - November 25, 2013
- This event was a discussion of balancing teaching and research in STEM. Experienced faculty members shared their tips and WISE@OU shared university resources that can assist faculty members. Attendees included both tenured and nontenured faculty. You can find a recording of this session at the CETL e-Space page.
"Retaining Women in STEM Fields" Webinar - November 4, 2013
- WISE@OU hosted a viewing of the "Retaining Women in STEM Fields" webinar, sponsored by Inside Higher Ed and the Association of American Colleges and Universities. The webinar's speaker is Joan C. Williams, Distinguished Professor of Law and the founding director of the Center for WorkLife Law at the University of California Hastings College of the Law. The webinar explores why women faculty leave science programs and what departments, colleges, and universities can do about it. A recording of the webinar and presentations slides can be found on the Inside Higher Ed website at:
Working with a Grant Officer - October 22, 2013
- WISE@OU hosted OU grant officer Bonnie Kwit for a lunchtime question and answer session with recently hired STEM faculty. Notes on working with a grant officer, including helpful tips for preparing your grant application, can be found here.
Mentoring in the STEM Fields (WISE@OU and CETL Workshop) — October 9, 2013
- This event was a discussion about mentoring opportunities for STEM faculty, primarily focusing on the do's and don'ts of being a mentor and strategies for connecting with other faculty. Attendees included both faculty who were interested in being a mentor and those seeking a mentor. You can find a recording of this session at the CETL e-Space page.
Sigma Xi: "Facilitating Interdisciplinary Research at OU: Identifying Strength and Forging Connections" — September 23, 2013
- Drs. Kathleen Moore (Chemistry), Laila Guessous (Mechanical Engineering), and Brad Roth (Physics) facilitated an informal discussion on interdisciplinary research. This event was co-hosted by Sigma Xi and WISE@OU. For more information, visit the Sigma Xi website.
Workshop for STEM Faculty for URC Faculty Research Fellowship Awards — September 13, 2013
- WISE@OU hosted Dorothy Nelson, Vice Provost for Research, and several former University Research Committee (URC) chairs for a discussion on how to approach grant writing for a general audience, as well as diverse outside agencies. The discussion addressed some of the unique challenges facing STEM faculty when writing proposals.
2013 ADVANCE Program Workshop — March 3-5, 2013
Empowering Women in the Global Community: 2012 Oakland Symposium — March 21, 2012