In this issue
Introducing Medical Library Liaisons | Library Database Trials | Faculty Corner
Introducing Medical Library Liaisons
|During the summer the Medical Library is busy building our curriculum and collection for the inaugural M2 year. To make this seamless for the faculty and ensure all courses are equally supported, we have implemented a liaison program with one library faculty member assigned to each course. |
Your library faculty liaison will be researching materials (eg: eBooks, journals, websites, etc) and collaborating with you to prepare resources for your course, including creating an online course guide and integrating information literacy instruction! Look for an email from us shortly!
This is an informal structure, so feel free to contact any of us with your questions!
|Course||Course Director(s)||Medical Library Liaison|
|Renal & Urinary|| Robert Augustyniak, Frances Dumler,|
& Jay Hollander
| Melphine Harriott |
& Mitchell Cappell
| Endocrine|| David Thomas & Louis Ospina|| Nancy Bulgarelli|
| Reproductive|| Judith Venuti |
& Robert Starr
| Keith Engwall|
|Course||Course Director(s) ||Medical Library Liaison |
|Mary Bee & Justin Riutta ||Nancy Bulgarelli |
|Jennifer Eastwood |
& Rajul Parikh
|Stephanie Swanberg |
|Behavioral Sciences ||Barbara Joyce ||Nancy Bulgarelli |
| Psychopathology||William Miles ||Stephanie Swanberg |
| Integrative Evidence-|
|Michael Maddens |
& Leslie Rocher
|Misa Mi |
| USMLE Review|| ||Misa Mi|
| Art & Practice of|
|Nelia Afonso ||Stephanie Swanberg |
| || || |
| Course|| Course Director(s)||Medical Library Liaison |
| Art & Practice of Medicine|| Nelia Afonso ||Stephanie Swanberg |
|Capstone ||Jeffrey Devries ||Misa Mi |
|Medical Humanities || Ernest Krug|| Nancy Bulgarelli|
|Promotion & Maintenance|
| Victoria Lucia|| Misa Mi|
Library Database Trials
|The Medical Library now has trial access to three resources: "Natural Standard," "Primal Pictures," and "VisualDx." As part of our user community, explore these two resources and let us know what you think via our Medical Library Resource Evaluation Form or email!
NATURAL STANDARD is an evidence-based resource on natural medicines and supplements. Information on foods, herbs, and supplements is rated on a five-tier evidence grading system. Additional features include: interactions, dictionary, calculators, symptom checkers, patient handouts, and more! Use the following credentials to login:
------------------------------------------PRIMAL PICTURES is a 3D human anatomy tool that includes over 5,000 3D anatomical structures, clinical slides, dissections, animations, and test question banks. Login is IP-authenicated, so you must access it through the Medical Library website:
- Visit http://library.oakland.edu/medical/
- Select Find Articles along the horizontal menu
- Select OvidSP
- Select Primal Pictures along the horizontal menu
- Look for modules with a green checkmark to explore the trial
OR try our 30-second tutorial on accessing Primal Pictures!
is a diagnostic image database
combining high-quality, peer-reviewed medical images and concise information to support clinicians in the
accurate recognition and management of disease.
You must be on-campus to test this resource as it is IP-authenticated. Simply click on the following link: http://www.visualdx.com/
and select Start VisualDx
in the upper right hand corner!
Highlighted Faculty Publications
- Dr. Miguelangelo Perez-Cruet specializes in Neurosurgery at Beaumont Hospital-Royal Oak and serves as Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery at the OUWB.
- Dr. Robert Welsh serves as the Corporate Director of Thoracic Surgery at Beaumont Health System and also is Associate Professor in the Department of Surgery at the OUWB.
- Dr. Kenneth Peters serves as Chair of the Department of Urology at Beaumont Hospital-Royal Oak and at the OUWB and is also the Director of the Women's Urology Center at Royal Oak.
- Dr. Jason Gilleran specializes in Urology at Beaumont Hospital-Royal Oak and serves as Assistant Professor in the Department of Urology at the OUWB.
Faculty Development Opportunities
Medical Education Research Faculty Learning Community continues! Please join us for the following events! Please email Misa Mi, email@example.com, with any questions. Note: No programs are scheduled in June.
- Friday, July 13, 2012: Research Forum (12:00-1:00pm, KL 225B). Faculty from a variety of OU schools and departments will discuss multidisciplinary educational research projects. Details are forthcoming. Lunch will be served, so please RSVP to Misa Mi, firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, July 6, 2012.
- Friday, July 20, 2012: Writer's Rights in the Publishing World (12:00-1:00pm, KL 100). Facilitator: Nancy Bulgarelli MSLS, Director of the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine Library.
All OUWB faculty interested in education research are encouraged to participate. Visit the
learn more about the faculty learning community or view the complete 2012 Program Schedule.