In this issue
Consultation Calendar | Student Corner | Faculty Corner | Website Updates | Upcoming Events
Medical Librarian Consultation Calendar
***ATTENTION M2 STUDENTS***
For your M2 Capstone Course you are required to meet with a librarian to discuss your Capstone project by December 7th! To streamline this process the Medical Library has developed an appointment calendar for you to sign-up for a 30-minute research consultation session.
- Log in to your Oakland University email account
- Go to our Research Consultation Calendar
- Sign up for a consultation slot that is convenient for you
- Provide details about your Capstone project topic in the description area
- See you at your consultation!
If you have any problems using the Research Consultation Calendar, please contact the Medical Library at email@example.com or (248) 370-3776.
Welcome Evan Sprague!
| ||The Medical Library is pleased to welcome Evan Sprague, our new Medical Library Assistant!|
Evan comes to us from
Kresge Library's Interlibrary Loan department and has worked in libraries for the last
10 years. He has a bachelor's degree in information technology from Oakland
University and is currently pursuing a master's degree in library and
information science. Evan's primary responsibilities at the OUWB Medical Library are managing the digital
materials in the medical library and serving as a frontline for medical reference questions in the
evenings and on Saturdays.
|Library Lunch 'n Learns for Students continue in October!
The library is pleased to host monthly lunch workshops for M1 and M2 students expanding on the information mastery content taught in the Capstone course. These sessions are meant as open forums to ask questions and tailor your information needs for your Capstone projects and beyond!
- Monday, October 29, 2012: Keeping Up with the Literature for your Capstone Project (11:30-12:30pm, KL 100). Stephanie Swanberg will share tips and strategies for keeping abreast of the latest literature and news on your Capstone topic using RSS and email alerts. Demonstrations of Google Reader, PubMed/MyNCBI, and Web of Science will be featured.
- Monday, November 26, 2012: Databases Other Than PubMed (11:30-12:30pm, KL 100) Is your Capstone project focused on education, the social sciences, or medical technologies and devices? Not finding everything you need in PubMed? Keith Engwall will demonstrate other databases you might want to investigate to enhance your Capstone project including ERIC, PsycINFO, and IEEE Xplore.
PANERA LUNCH IS PROVIDED so please RSVP to the Medical Library at firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, October 23 if you plan to attend Keeping up with the Literature! Seating is limited!
Highlighted Faculty Publications
Fulton M, Peters KM. Neuromodulation for voiding dysfunction and fecal incontinence: a urology perspective. Urol Clin North Am. 2012;39(3):405-12. (Dr. Kenneth M Peters is Chief of Urology and Director of the Women's Urology Center at Beaumont Hospital - Royal Oak and serves as Chair of the Department of Urology at the OUWB)
Parasuraman R, Abouljoud M, Jacobsen G, Reddy G, Koffron A, Venkat KK. Increasing trend in infection-related death-censored graft failure in renal transplantation. Transplantation. 2011;91(1):94-9.
- Dr. Raviprasenna Parasuraman is the Director of the Kidney Transplant Outreach Program at Beaumont Health System, specializes in nephrology and transplant medicine, and also serves as Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at the OUWB.
- Dr. Gampala Reddy specializes in nephrology and transplant medicine and serves as Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at the OUWB.
- Dr. Alan Koffron is Chair of Surgery and Director of Multiorgan Transplantation at Beaumont Health System and also serves as Interim Chair of the Department of Surgery at the OUWB.
Swor R, Grace H, McGovern H, Weiner M, Walton E. Cardiac Arrests in Schools: Assessing Use of Automated External Defibrillators (AED) on School Campuses. Resuscitation. 2012.
- Dr. Robert Swor specializes in Emergency Medicine at Beaumont Hospital - Royal Oak and serves as Professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine at the OUWB.
- Dr. Edward Walton is the Director of Pediatric Emergency Medicine at Beaumont Hospital - Royal Oak and serves as Professor in the Departments of Pediatrics and Emergency Medicine at the OUWB.
Faculty Development Opportunities
Medical Education Research Faculty Learning Community continues! Please join us for the following events and feel free to bring a brown bag lunch! Please email Misa Mi, email@example.com, with any questions.
- Friday, October 12, 2012: Situated Learning (12:00-1:00pm, KL 100). Presenter: Jennifer Eastwood PhD, Assistant Professor, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine.
- Friday, October 26, 2012: Teaching Project Showcase (12:00-1:00pm, KL 100). Presenter: David Rodenbaugh PhD, Assistant Professor, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine.
All OUWB faculty interested in education research are encouraged to participate. Visit the
learn more about the faculty learning community or view the complete 2012 Program Schedule.
Library Website Updates
The Medical Library has added a text message service to provide you with another easy way to contact us! You can add (248) 266-0484 to your phone's contact list and use it to text us with your reference questions, appointment requests or any of your library needs (also if you call this number, it will ring the Medical Library office). We'll text you back either with a brief answer or an invitation to further the conversation through phone, email or an appointment. Please note that texts will be monitored during Medical Library office hours, so those burning late-night reference questions may not be answered until morning!
Other medical library website updates include:
- Updated Ask a Librarian page: We've further simplified the "Ask a Librarian" page to make it easier to contact us, however you prefer. Includes the new text-message number, consultation calendar instructions, and updated office hours.
- Updated Homepage: The right column now features several service-related quick links, including links to the staff directory, School of Medicine and Beaumont sites, and others. The contents of the previous eBook shelf are available on the Find Books page or within the textbook lists.
Look to this section each month for updates to the medical library web site. Please feel free to send any comments or questions to Keith Engwall at firstname.lastname@example.org
Michigan Libraries for Life Donor Registration Drive: October 2, 2012
In support of the OUWB School of Medicine's mission to engage and serve the community, the Medical Library will be hosting a registration drive to raise awareness of organ, eye, and tissue donation on OU's campus! On this day, 28 institutions from health sciences, public, academic, and hospital libraries across Michigan are partnering for this cause with Gift of Life Michigan.
When: Tuesday, October 2, 2012; 9:00am-4:00pm
- In person: Kresge Library Lobby
- Online: http://bit.ly/ML4Life
- From your Mobile Device: http://bit.ly/ML4LifeMobile
If you are interested in registering to be an organ donor, stop by our table, sign up, and pick up some swag!
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Lunch 'n Learn
October 30, 2012
Did you know African American babies are more than two times as likely and American Indian/Alaska Native babies are nearly three times as likely to die of SIDS as white babies?1
In our second year of programming, the Diversity Programming Team is pleased to present a Lunch 'n Learn for OUWB faculty, students, and staff on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome during SIDS Awareness Month. Hear from the health professionals who are working to prevent and raise awareness about these devastating incidents, including representatives from Tomorrow's Child!
When: Tuesday, October 30, 2012; 11:30am-12:30pm
Where: Gold Rooms A & B, Oakland Center
Lunch will be provided so please RSVP to email@example.com by Friday, October 19 at noon and let us know if you have any dietary restrictions!
1National Institute of Child Health & Human Development (NIH): http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/Sudden_Infant_Death_Syndrome.cfm
Meet the Programming Team!