Congratulations to OU employees Christina Fontana (Department of Writing and Rhetoric) and Shaun Moore (eLearning and Instructional Support), who were married in front of the Saints and Sinners Fountain on June 16.
Thinking of Running or Walking the Brooksie Way?
In support of personal health and wellness within the university community, and as a result of the partnership between the university and Brooksie Way planners, Oakland University employees, students and alumni are eligible for discounts for individual and team participation in the Brooksie Way run and walk events. Please check here for specifics on registration, including pricing and deadlines.
|Still Have Questions about Outcome-based HMOs?|
The following two documents address concerns and questions related to outcome-based healthcare for all three of our carriers, as well as how your doctor determines your BMI.
Outcome Based HMO FAQ's
BMI Qualification/Exception Information
Click here to see the HMO presentations and a video of the presentations. (You will need to scroll down the page to view the video.)
Smart Plays for Summer Sports
Liberty Mutual's Responsible Sports program recognizes the importance of educating youth who participate in summer sports about conditioning, hydration, nutrition, equipment and injury prevention. Taking the following precautions will help protect their health and well-being. Conditioning: Before participating in organized sports, it's important to see a doctor for a complete physical examination to determine your child's fitness level.
To learn more about Liberty Mutual auto and home insurance or get a free, no-obligation quote, call Michael Meyer at 1-800-230-9302 ext.56727 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hydration: Although they rarely think about it until they're thirsty, young people need continuous fluid replacement before, during and after practice, games and competitions. Buy several re-usable water bottles, and make it a habit to give one to your children as they leave the house and when you pick them up after practice.
- Nutrition: Children need three balanced meals and snacks in between to fuel their activities, even on days without practice or games.
- Equipment: Protective gear—such as helmets, pads and face masks— should be worn as appropriate and be free of cracks, rips and tears.
- Injuries: If you're attending a practice or game, it's smart to bring along your own first aid kit, since preoccupied coaches often forget. Also consider getting certified in CPR, as you never know what kind of health emergencies might arise.
Fidelity and TIAA-CREF On Campus
Representatives from TIAA-CREF will be available for one-on-one sessions on the following days:
To schedule an appointment call the Service & Scheduling Group at (800) 732-8353,
- Tuesday, July 24, 128 Oakland Center
- Wednesday, July 25, 128 Oakland Center
- Tuesday, Aug 6, 12 Oakland Center
- Wednesday, Aug 10, 125 Oakland Center
or you can schedule your own appointment on the Web at TIAA-CREF.
The Fidelity representative will be on campus the following dates:
Call (800) 642-7131 to schedule an appointment with Bethany Pagnani or go to Reservations.
- Tuesday, July 10, 125 Oakland Center
- Wednesday, July 11, 125 Oakland Center
- Monday, Aug 13, 125 Oakland Center
- Monday, Aug 27, 125 Oakland Center
Auto and Home Insurance with Liberty Mutual
As an Oakland University employee, you could save money on car and home insurance with Liberty Mutual. Your local Liberty Mutual representative, Michael Meyer, will be onsite providing coverage evaluations on the following dates:
To make an appointment, please call (800) 230-9302, ext. 56727, to schedule an appointment with Michael Meyer.
- Wednesday, July 18, 125 Oakland Center
- Wednesday, Aug 15, Room 125 Oakland Center
DreamTrips vacation membership will be highlighting one of their fabulous vacation deals each month. Click here to see July's deal!
Quicken Loans - New Benefit for OU EmployeesYou now have access to the dedicated Mortgage
Insiders team at Quicken Loans. They are able to provide you
with VIP client service, along with financial discounts on refinance
and home purchases. As a member you will receive:
Please visit OU's Quicken Loans website for more information
- $500 cash back on all closed refinances and purchase loans
- Additional cash back* after closing on purchases when you use an In-House Realty real estate agent
- MyQL Mobile for iPhone® - Make this your easiest mortgage ever by using our exclusive, 100% secure mobile app!
|Staff Member News|
|Please welcome all of the new employees that have joined us in June, 2012!|
Elena Amato - Nurse Practitioner - Graham Health Center
Christopher Bowles - Accountant - Accounting Office
Colleen Campbell - Online Media Specialist - Communications & Marketing
Andrea Chom - Office Assistant II - Macomb SmartZone
Nicole Clements - Project Advisor - Upward Bound
Larry Dugan - Police Officer - Police Department
Joyce Liebergen - Senior Accountant - Accounting Office
Kelly Meador - Clerk III - Lowry Center for Early Childhood
Marie Michalowski - Project Manager - Capital Planning & Design
Todd Nucci - Web Developer/Analyst - Communications & Marketing
Meaghan Walters - Coordinator for Student Activities - School of Medicine
Kasey Whitford - Police Officer - Police Department
CONGRATS TO JUNE 2012 EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH MICHELE SERAFINO!
Michele has worked in Career Services as a Career Consultant for 3 1/2 years.
Read about Michelle's contribution to the University on her Employee of the Month page
Nominate a shining star for Employee of the Month!
Click on the Nominate
link to complete the online form.
Temporary and Casual Hiring
Effective immediately, departments submitting requisitions to hire temporary and/or casual employees must include the following information:
- Under Qualification Notes: A list of job duties the temporary or casual employee will be performing.
- Under Remarks: Indicate the name of the person to fill the position or indicate if the position is to be posted.
Temporary and/or casual employees must not be allowed to begin work until the hiring department has received an email from a member of the Employment Services team granting approval. For additional information on hiring temporary and/or casual employees, refer to Policy 770 under the Administrative Policies and Procedures
|Training Courses Offered for July, 2012
If you have any questions, please contact the training department at x4579. You can click here to enroll in these and many other courses.
|CareWorks CMS - Web Content Mgment System
7/10/2012 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Banner - Purchase Requisitions
7/11/2012 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
7/11/2012 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
CareWorks CMS - News and Events
7/17/2012 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
|CareWorks CMS - News and Events |
7/17/2012 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
CareWorks CMS - WORKSHOP
7/25/2012 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Careworks CMS - Form Builder/Media Gallery
7/31/2012 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Social Media: What are you waiting for?
Scott Patterson a Labor and Employment Attorney from Butzel Long will be here on Tuesday, July 17 to present a session on Social Media in the Workplace. This event will be open to all supervisors and managers. Please click here to enroll.
Banner Resources on the Web
Please check out our new and improved resources for Banner Training. Many new resources have been added in regards to navigation, tutorials, and running Access queries. Click here to access PortAdm, our secure training portal. If you do not see Banner Training Resources listed, please click here to request access to the materials.
|Problem Performance Prevention - Skillsoft Course |
To maintain a positive work environment you should be prepared to deal with situations as soon as they arise. To do this, you need to ensure the negativity in your office doesn't spread. You also need to manage your employees with a positive attitude. You should show respect and loyalty towards your employees at all times. In the Problem Performance Prevention course of Skillsoft you will learn simple ways to create a positive work environment. I found this an extremely easy course to listen to and follow along. They give a lot of ideas on how to help a manager maintain a problem free environment. I learned a great deal on how to handle various situations when they arise with employees. This is just another great Skillsoft course that you can take that will help you in working cohesively with other workers.
Thousands of courses can be found by logging into your SkillSoft account.
Reviewed by Kelly Pasek UHR Intern
Business Skills Curricula > Management Curriculum > Problem Performance Management > Problem Performance Prevention
Please click here to request an account on SkillSoft, if you do not already have one.
**Having trouble accessing SkillSoft or not sure what to take? Contact Dana (email@example.com) or Vicki (firstname.lastname@example.org) for help.**
|Building a Better U|
Campus Recreation is Heating Up Summer with Great Group Exercise Classes!
Have you tried a group exercise class? The Summer 2 schedule is available and has a great selection of classes to help you stay healthy and fit this summer. Noon time and 5:15 p.m. classes are by far the most popular this summer with a lineup of Zumba, Kickboxing, Step and Strength, Yoga, Cycle, and Strength Circuit on various days Monday through Friday. FitPasses for benefit-eligible employees are $5/single class and $26 for Summer 2 Unlimited and can be purchased online or in person at the Rec Center Welcome Center. Classes run July 1-August 24.
NEW! Make a splash and turn down the heat with a great water workout! Beginning July 9, water aerobics will be available from 5:30-6:15 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays through August 24th. FitPasses are required for the classes.
For a complete schedule visit our website. Click on group exercise schedule.
Gear Up For Fall Fitness and Wellness Programming
Did you miss registering for the summer Weight Watchers at Work? The fall session will begin at the end of September/beginning of October. Discounts on pricing are available from various insurance providers. Registration is required through Weight Watchers. Contact Laura Fergle at email@example.com
- BLAST will be back! Building Lean Athletic Strong Toned Bodies…group fitness that will BLAST your body into shape! Six-week sessions are available for $60 and include a pre/post mini fitness assessment and three early a.m. workout sessions/week. Session 1 begins September 17th. Registration will be available in August.
- Biggest Loser Challenge- Season 2!!! Last year's challenge group worked hard and lost 314 pounds! Want to join? The 10-week session begins September 24th. Registration will be available in August. Early bird rate is $100. This program has an application and interview process. Information sessions will be held August 15 and September 5 at noon at the Rec Center.
- For those who missed it the first time…Getting Started Right will return this fall. Join the Rec staff for a FREE 4-week session on using the Fitness Center for strength and cardio exercise, nutrition, and exercise safety and motivation. Sessions will meet from 12:10-12:50 p.m. on Tuesdays at the Rec beginning September 18th. Registration will be available in August.
For more information on BLAST, Biggest Loser, or Getting Started Right contact Rachelle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you seen the new Wellness website?
Check out www.oakland.edu/betteryOU.
New wellness programs are coming soon!
|Please send an email to email@example.com with your feedback on how we can improve your UHR newsletter!|