Thursday, September 22, 2011
UPDATED: Indulge in OU's new after work performance arts series
It’s been a long hot summer for Michigan drivers caught up in orange-barrel season, and with plenty of good weather ahead, the road congestion is not over yet. The Department of Music, Theatre and Dance has a suggestion that will thwart the traffic jams – on Thursday evenings at least. The campus community is invited to come “jam” with MTD instead.
This fall, a new performance series designed to fit bustling lives will give patrons of the arts an opportunity to enjoy an “early night out” twice each month.
Thursday Arts After Work will feature the entire range of Oakland’s performing arts programs, with performances including students and faculty members in large and small music ensembles, an opera, plays, musical theatre, modern dance, soloist performers and guest artists.
Thursday Arts-After-Work is also designed to provide a friendly place for friends, colleagues and neighbors to enjoy one another’s company. Food and beverages will be available for purchase on the mezzanine outside of Varner Recital Hall beginning at 5 p.m. on each event evening, and performances will begin at 6 p.m. Most events will last approximately one hour, allowing plenty of time for an after-show dinner in a local restaurant or at home.
Hoping to broaden OU’s reputation as a welcoming destination for community fellowship and celebration of the arts, MTD is offering tickets to the Thursday Arts After Work series for the unbeatable price of “pay what you wish.” Because university register systems require a minimum transaction amount, the minimum price for tickets is $1. They are available at the Varner Hall box office and online through Star Tickets at startickets.com.
The series opens with a bang on Thursday, Sept. 22, when the fabulous OU Jazz Faculty will perform.
For more information about the Department of Music, Theatre and Dance, a detailed schedule of Thursday Arts After Work performances and MTD’s entire 2011-12 season brochure, visit oakland.edu/artsafterwork
. Additional information also is available by calling (248) 370-2030.
2011-2012 Thursday Arts After Work line-up:
- September 22, OU Jazz Faculty
- September 29, MTD Student Showcase
- October 13, Little Mary Sunshine
- October 20, Six Strings Too Many, faculty guitar concert
- November 10, Oakland Chamber Players
- November 17, OU Jazz Band
- December 1, Oakland Dance Theatre and OU Repertory Dance Company
- December 8, From Floor to Ceiling, faculty dance concert
- January 12, Cosi fan tutte
- January 26, OU Percussion Faculty
- February 9, Much Ado About Nothing
- February 16, Wind Symphony
- March 8, Percussion Pops
- March 29, University Chorus and Oakland Chorale
- April 5, MTD Faculty Collaboration
- April 26, Meadow Brook Estate, musical theatre showcase